Sunday, May 29, 2011

Devastated

My good friend Darrell in Aruba was arrested a few days back for fraud and embezzlement of money. Now something like this is kind of personal, but it it hit all the papers, radio and TV in Aruba. Mainly because it does involve a government minister. This isn't even a case of innocent until proven guilty, because when I read the comments under the many articles on the online versions of several newspapers I was stupified. He's done this many times before and he is a real con artist. Een oplichter! He conned people, businesses, family... everyone! Here's the Diario Aruba article (Papiamento language). One of many articles.

In hindsight I can say that I knew something wasn't quite right where Darrell was concerned. All the travel, the expensive gadgets (iPod, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, flat screen television, laptops and desktops! And this for someone who didn't actually have a real job other than socializing with rich people, famous people and politicians. He was once arrested in 2006 for theft, but he told me it was a misunderstanding and I believed him... or maybe chose to believe him.
Photobucket
Darrell & Jesse Jackson

I was thinking of heading to Aruba from Atlanta for 1-2 days after I'm done there and head back to Amsterdam from Aruba. I could visit him in jail, but I don't think I could handle that right now. At this moment I don't know how to approach someone that I don't trust and I might say the wrong things. I beginning to wonder if our friendship ever meant anything to him or was it just a way to get a couple of Delta Buddy Passes from me so he could travel to Hawaii, New York City, Toronto, Miami or wherever he was going. Maybe that was all I was good for?

Maybe I am rambling, but I am devastated and dissapointed. I hold my friends close and love them a lot. So when things like this happen, I'm not sure what to do or how to react.


Anyway let me get packed. Tomorrow I'm heading to Atlanta ATL. The lady who's taking over my job when I leave will finalize her training at Delta this week. And I'm required to be there. Considering that I myself have to renew my GSC (Ground Security Control) training, it's great timing. Since last weak I'm not allowed aboard a Delta aircraft. I had to renew my GSC a while back, but kept postponing it. It only takes 2-3 hours anyway. 

Oh well......

18 Comments:

Anonymous Jeandrina said...

Yeah cuzz, I knew he was up to no good. I heard he ripped-off Tommy Hilfiger, Burgerk King, Wong Seung Wong and many other places. But ja, he was your friend, so I just kept it to myself. But In Aruba many people knew he was up to no good. he gambles a lot and I think that's where this thing started. E tin hopi debe na casino y na hende.

JD

29.5.11  
Anonymous Micheline said...

Ryan, you know I don't make no jokes with anyone, but I do believe everyone needs a second chance. I would say let him prove he can change. Sadly more often than other people who like things like status and money can't change. They are always trying to keep up with the Jones'.

So he may have been travelling on those IPB tickets you gave him, but he may have been telling everyone he paid for those tickets himself. So pople will see a young guy travelling to Holland, Hawaii etc. and think he's loaded. A true con artist knows how to play pople, so ther is no reason for you to feel guilty and no one will blame you for ending the friendship either. It's up to you. Follow your gut!

That being said, I do not like Darrell. There was something about him that wasn't quite right when he was in Holland last year. Call it female intuition.

whatever you decide go into it with open realistic eyes.

Micheline

29.5.11  
Anonymous Jenske said...

Ik ben het helemaal niet met Micheline eens. Niet over denken. Dumpen die hap. Kan je een oplicher óóit nog vertrouwen?! Dat lijkt me sterk.


heb je ooit naar 'Opgelicht!' op Nederland 1 gekeken? Oplichters zijn meester in het bespelen van de emoties van mensen, het vinden van hun zwakke punten en het winnen van hun vertrouwen. Ze hebben zelden spijt van hun acties. Ze hebben alleen maar spijt dat ze betrapt waren.
Hij is in 206 gearresteerd schreef je in je post. Maar dat betekent dat hij al lang daarvoor ermee bezig was. Dus waar hebben we het over? 5 tot 8 jaar??? Als je dan nog niet het licht hebt gezien... ja sorry hoor. Klinkt misschien keihard, maar zo denk ik er echt over.

Jenske

29.5.11  
Anonymous Debby said...

oma couldn't believe it either! It was on TeleAruba en ATV news. Also he went and gave an interview on the radio (Top 95 and Canal 90) telling everyone that Minister Benny Sevinger is a liar. He also said that he would expose all of the minietr's dity laundry if he goes to jail. If i didn't know him better, i would have believed him. But after this shit hit the fan, everybody had a 'Darrell' story to tell and his dirty secrets started coming out. They even outed him saying he was gay and that he would have a good time in prison with all those men!!!

The first time he got arrested 5 years ago, they only used his initials, but now they used his picture and whole name in the media. He made it worse for himself by going public to so-called defend his reputation.

A friend of mine gave him money (1500 florin), because he said he was going to the States to buy iPhones, iPad etc. She wanted a iPhone and in Aruba they cost much more. 4 months later, no money and no iPhone. Darrell was no where to be found. And now that he's arrested there is no hope of her ever recovering her money again. And he did it to many, many, many more people on the island.

So as much as I would like to see you again, cuz, don't bother coming to Aruba. He's a loser and you should cut him loose from your life. People like that are dangerous and maybe I am cynical, but i don't think he can change. he likes status and money too much.

Deborah

30.5.11  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

He was smart. Either him or someone who knows him took down his Facebook account. He dissapeared of my friends list never to be found again. If I were you I would delete all the pics you have of him from your FB account. E ta duna bo mal fama. Believe me! Lose no sleep over it.

Jenny

30.5.11  
Anonymous RdG said...

Ik vind het ongelooflijk. Hij leek me zo aardig. Hij wilde me altijd uit eten nemen in de duurste restaurants, maar hij zette bij het betalen alles op een credit account. Ik bemoeide me er nooit mee, want hij stond erop om te betalen. Maar nu begreep ik uit een artikel uit Aruba Today dat hij bijna aan AWG12000,- aan uitstaande schulden had! 12000,- gulden!!! Dat is veel! Die lui kunnen naar hun geld fluiten, lijkt me! Shame....

Rob

30.5.11  
Blogger LP said...

He needs to leave Aruba as soon as he gets out. If not someone is likely to damage or even kill him. people whom are screwed don't make jokes. It was in Aruba Today that he even owes people in Curaçao money!!!! Gambling debts. Besides, Aruba is only so big; who will give him a job?

Les

30.5.11  
Blogger Pamela said...

I brought this boy into my home in Holland and he was welcome in my mother's home in Aruba. I am saddened and shocked. That's nall i'm going to say on this issue.

30.5.11  
Anonymous Sharine Hodge said...

The bitch stole at Valero as well. I know this for sure, because my auntie Cheryl works there and told me so. They fired his thieving ass. Good for him. He had to be stopped. I have no pity on people who purposely con people out of their hard earned money. Let him have a good time in KIA with all those men them. I pity him mother and the rest of the family who have to carry this shame. Not him! He could kiss it!

30.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sorry to hear this Ryan. Totally effed up!

30.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He spat high in the air, now it came back to join him in the face. Darel is a SOB and he deserves what he's getting! He stole money from Valero as well and we fired him.

Michael

30.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Well, I knew this was going to happen soon or later. He likes to play big shot/elite. He used to work at a carrental also taking the people cars without consent... Always in mambo jambo with his cuban sigars wuahahahahahahaaaa

Ryan wil je mij zeggen dat je niet wist dat Darrel zo was... Ik ben flauw om dat te geloven "just saying".

AND YES HE'S GAY... ASK RONCHI DE CUBA HE CAN TELL YOU. LOL

People deserves second chances yeah, but not this one.... sorry

30.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That he was gay and had 'kapsones' was common knowledge, but I don't think everyone knew how bad things were. Look I've known this mister for a few years but i didn't know things went this far. I mean he than lasted very long on the streets. why wasn't he locked-up a long time ago?

Glenn Duinkerk

30.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Glenn: exactly! That is what i don't underdstand!

30.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K.I.A. ZIT VOL!!!!!

30.5.11  
Anonymous RYAN IS A CRIMINAL said...

Ryan himself must be imvolved. All that travelling he does looks suspicious to me. About he didn't know anything. Yeah right!

30.5.11  
Blogger Pamela said...

People get a life. If you don't know what is going on, please stop talking nonsense about my son.

31.5.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

Om my, a lot has been going on since I left Amsterdam this morning I see. Some things that are written here about darrell are new and shocking to me and some I've heard before.

But let's get a few things straight; that Darrell was gay is well-known by family and friends. He came out of the closet a while back, so it isn't as if I'm outing someone. That Darrell was involved in something that wasn't 100% kosher... as I said looking back I would be stupid not to see the signs. But I do not live in Aruba. I saw Darrell 3-4 tiomes per year max, while vacationing on the island or while he was vacationing here. When in Aruba he showed me a good time doing all these crazy expensive things. I thought he was doing it to impress me, because when he was in Holland I went all out for him as well. That he was involved in the things mentioned in the media and by people on this blog I find shocking.

Now I'm not going to pretend like I'm an angel here, because I'm not. For instance, I never made it a secret that I was fired from my first aviation job at Air Aruba/Ogden Ground Services for taking home with me airline manuals. It was not allowed, I knew it and took them anyway. I wanted to study them in my aviation enthusiasm. That's no excuse. It was theft. I can't deny it. But I lived and learned and will not make that mistake again.

So I don't think I'm looking doen on someone. It's a whole different ballgame when you purposely et out to con people and companies. Again... this is MY opinion.

Right now I don't know how I will continue with Darrell. I have to see what will happen to him and let this all sink in before I make a decision.

Another thing that I'd like to make clear is that I do travel a lot for work. In fact most of my travel in my life was work-related. So I do not pay for a ticket, hotel,meals etc. I have the luck that when I do travel privately I can do so at an reduced IPB fare. Hotels and rental cars are also available at a reduced price. It's a perk. I work to earn my money to pay my bills. I have a little extra income from my retal apartment back in St. Martin, but that's it. So please do not accuse me of stuff that isn't true. So stop hating.

Ryan

31.5.11  

Post a Comment

<< Home