Seeing Red
From MAC (Martin Air Charter) to Martinair Holland to simply Martinair. I flew them a few times to Aruba, Miami, Costa Rica and Toronto. I'm always sad to see an airline dissapear into history. My first employer, Air Aruba did it in 2000, which was closely followed by ALM Antillean Airlines and Air Holland. All those airlines had people I knew working for them.
I also know quite a few people at Martinair, but in a way it's good to know that the next day they can put on a blue KLM uniform and continue with their life. The staff and crew of the before mentioned airline could not.
So yesterday Martinair's last scheduled passenger flight landed at Schiphol from Cancun CUN. Later a 767-300 in retro colors did a 'thank you' round around Holland with inside the founder of Martinair, Mr. Martin Schröder whom I had the pleasure to meet on several occasions over the years. After that flight landed it was the end of Martinair's passenger operation after 53 years.









Pictures courtesy of Getty Images, Owleyes, Luchtvaartnieuws.nl & Lesley P.
No matter my opinion, I'd like to say 'Jij ook bedankt, Martinair'.
I also know quite a few people at Martinair, but in a way it's good to know that the next day they can put on a blue KLM uniform and continue with their life. The staff and crew of the before mentioned airline could not.
So yesterday Martinair's last scheduled passenger flight landed at Schiphol from Cancun CUN. Later a 767-300 in retro colors did a 'thank you' round around Holland with inside the founder of Martinair, Mr. Martin Schröder whom I had the pleasure to meet on several occasions over the years. After that flight landed it was the end of Martinair's passenger operation after 53 years.










Pictures courtesy of Getty Images, Owleyes, Luchtvaartnieuws.nl & Lesley P.
No matter my opinion, I'd like to say 'Jij ook bedankt, Martinair'.
8 Comments:
Sad :(
It is.
Our first vacation by plane was with Martinair to Mallorca in 1987! We flew with a DC-10 30 CF the PH-MBG. will never forget it!
I got tears in my eyes at the sight of the water salute. I've given 17 years of my life at Martinair and made it to Purser. Now after the take over, I have to start underneath the ladder once again at the age of 52 with one stripe on my sleeve. I don't think its fair. Martinair was a great company to work for. It's killing me to see it go.
Lisette
Lisette, be glad you have a job regardless of your position. As I understand it from the newspaper, you will remain with your prser salary although you will not function as one anymore. So it isn't all that bad. These are hard times. You are working. Count your blessings, rather then complain.
Micheline
10 punten voor jou peppermouth Micheline...
lol @ Devon
Micheline
I remember when a few years back, we had to wear these red uniforms besides our regular KLM blue ones when we handling MP flights. I hated this uniform to the max. The KLM one was okay, but this red one with that ridiculous hat, was too much for me.
I alway tried to walk alone in the airport while wearing this mess of a uniform. Walking in a group with colleagues just made it seem like we were running with the bulls in Pamplona. O.O
Raquel
Post a Comment
<< Home