Saturday, July 02, 2011

So here it ends...

Local time: 17.43

It's the end of my Kiwi trip. I'm sitting here in the internet café at the Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel near Auckland Airport AKL. Later on I'm taking an Emirates flight to Dubai DXB. I booked a confirmed IPB-ticket on Emirates between AKL-DXB , which means you pay more, but you have a confirmed seat like a regular passsenger. This was important to me, because I have to be back on time to work and can't afford to be bumped-off a flight. From Dubai I have a regular IPB-ticket. So there I'll have to find a connecting flight to Amsterdam AMS with either Emirates, KLM or Garuda Indonesia. Whichever airline has space for me. The flights aren't too full, so I don't think I'll have problems getting home. I also could have flown with Malaysia Airlines via Kuala Lumpur KUL or Korean Air via Seoul Incheon ICN, but via Dubai I have more options to get home (London LHR, Paris CDG, Frankfurt, FRA, Düsseldorf DUS, Manchester MAN, Brussels BRU etc.)

I am tired, but satisfied with how everything went. I had to convince people around me that I would be able to travel alone and actually enjoy it and I really did. No regrets here.

Yesterday I completed 'The Finest Walk in the World'... the Milford Track. I'm not going to lie, it was grueling and exhausting but well worth it. Like most people who walk this track, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen. There is a tradition that travellers hang up their boots on the Milford sign when they complete the trek. They may be smelly, but I paid too much damn money for these travel boots for me to hang them om some sign and leave them in New Zealand.
Photobucket
End of the track

As soon as everything was wrapped up, I took a taxi back to Queenstown Airport ZQN. Once there I seeked the cheapest flight to AKL. The choices were Air New Zealand and Jetstar, but Jetstar was super cheap at NZ$59,- (€34,-) for a one-way. So out with my credit card and on to the flight that took less than 2 hours on an A320. Upon arrival, I went to the airport storage space and took out my Samsonite trolley I left there when I arrived. After that I checked into the hotel and a had nice hot bath, put on a polo shirt, linen pants and some comfortable Nike's. They feel so good after those damn boots. Maybe I should've left them there on that sign. Anyway, I repacked my backpack into my Samsonite trolley. It's just easier to travel that way.

But
New Zealand; what a place! All journeys have secret destinations of which a traveller is unaware and New Zealand is a great example. What I love about this country is that it has great contrasts and variations. You've got two cultures living together; one that's really happy with the evironment it has created for themselves (Europeans) and the other fighting for survival and trying to maintain their traditions and heritage (Māoris).

On top of that you've got two islands; the northern island is flat and green with lots of people living there and the southern island rugged, mountaineous with hardly anyone there. You've got to remember that New Zealand is a big country with only 4,5 million people! Compare that to The Netherlands with about 16,5 million people. I like that about New Zealand... not much people, a lot of space. New Zealand is most definitely an adventure I will never forget; it has fun, friendly people and some of the most spectacular landscaped on this lonely planet. This country is on a gigantic scale of grandure fit for the Gods. And as easy as life is for some of the people and hard for others, I've seen more smiling faces here than anywhere else.

New Zealand 2011 weergeven op een grotere kaart

So if you decide to come here, don't rush it. Give yourself time to see things and take it all in. Because it's a lot! I was really impressed in how people respect how others express their different religious beliefs. But the one thing that will really remain with me is the openess of the people I met and their willingness to talk to me. People return to New Zealand time and time again and I know that I'll definitely come back.


The land of the Kiwi's is magic! I'm off to the airport. "E noho rā, Aotearoa"... goodbye New Zealand.

9 Comments:

Blogger LP said...

Have a safe trip. Lemme know what flight you'll be on and I'll try to meet you at SPL.

Les

2.7.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself, honey! call me when your back, so we can talk about Anton's baptism. XXX.

Micheline

2.7.11  
Blogger Pamela said...

Have a good good flight son. Be safe.

2.7.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great report of NZ and reading the posts makes me want to go there. Maybe some day. I'm glad you had a good time. I never realized that there were so little people living there, though.

Jake

2.7.11  
Anonymous Akosh @ Dilli दिल्ली said...

I've been to New Zealand as a intern and lived there for 6 months and agree with everything you said. Considering that I live in India (Delhi), a country with over a billion people I too had to get accustomed to how very few people the country has. Nevertheless it was one of the best experiences of my life and will certainly remember it. Like you, I most definitely will go back!!!!!

2.7.11  
Anonymous RdG said...

Fijne reis! Ik ben blij dat je ervan hebt genoten. Told you so!

Rob

2.7.11  
Anonymous JOHN @ BOSTON said...

NICE POSTS RYAN. I READ YOU EMAIL AND I PROMISE I'LL DO MY BEST TO REFRAIN FROM MAKING NAST REMARKS AND I APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE I MAY HAVE INSULTED. IT WAS NOT MY INTENTION TO DO SO!

JOHN
BOSTON, MA
USA

2.7.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, well, John. I'm glad you saw the light. No need for drama here. But for now, I'll be keeping my eye on you.

Micheline

2.7.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in my humble little country. Hope you come back soon and bring your friends!!!! Yes, Lesley, I mean you especially!!!

Richard

3.7.11  

Post a Comment

<< Home