Friday, June 17, 2011

LGBT Marketing


It's nothing new. In fact many companies, including airlines have discovered that 'Same Sex Sells'. The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered community are money makers. Consider this: If we take a conservative estimate that 6% of the world's population is gay, the estimated potential incomde goes in the billions it said in a recent survey. Openly gay men in western countries in full-time jobs earn about $18,000 a year more than the male national average; among lesbians, the premium is $12,000. Hence, for advertisers — whether dreaming up mainstream publicity fit for a gay audience, or appealing directly via gay media — it's cool to 'think pink'.

In light of my work, I try to keep up with wat's going on around me in the business. I suscribe to magazines about airlines, airports and travel. I always browse through FlyerTalk to see what frequent travellers are saying about the companies they fly with. In my opinion they form the best indicators, because they travel constantly and are high demanding people. So somewhere along the way, I also got into following gay marketing.

Within the gay community it seems that airlines can get away with much more! They can be blunt and ditrect. But when thee gays like a company, the cash rolls in. KLM, for example, is highly aware of that and sponsor a lot of gay events and advertisments. As do other airlines as well. KLM even hired a Out Now Global which is a team of specialised marketers with high levels of expertise in understanding gay and lesbian customers. And according to a Marketing executive I spoke with at KLM, they are worth every penny. Here are some ads; all images are clickable.
Photobucket
Air Canada... enjoy the ride. Guess what the aircraft's fuselage represents ;-)
Photobucket
American Airlines' Everybody's Something Special
Photobucket
Delta's Black Pride
Photobucket
Delta Air Lines
Photobucket
KLM
Photobucket
Lufthansa
Photobucket
Swissair
Photobucket
KLM
Photobucket
British Airways








That being said, I often wonder if people would chose a company based on its LGBT standpoint. Your thoughts?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heathrow, Gatwick... I swing both ways. LOL! Love it!

Grace

18.6.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't let gay advertisement affect me one way or the other. It's all about the price for me. Because really, what difference do you notice on board?? Level of service is the same for everyone, regardless of it being a gay friendly airline or not. So I think it's a waste of money to hire a gay consulting company or to make 'special' ads for us gay people. Why do we always have to stand out? So I call bulshit on this. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Derek

19.6.11  
Anonymous Marco said...

nee hoor. Gewoon lekker vliegen met wie je wilt vliegen. Derek heeft gelijk, hoe mooi de posters of reclames ook zijn, je merkt er aan boord geen verschil. Dat verwacht ik ook niet. Maar goed, dat is mijn mening.

19.6.11  
Anonymous Roger said...

Why do the gays always seem to need special attention??? You all talk about wanting to be accepted within the community, yet you expect to be treated special. Sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

You go on board, you sit, you fly, you get off the plane and go wherever you have to go. I don't see where gay adverts come into play really. But hey, this is just my opinion as a straight guy. I have nothing against gays, because I am a faithfull reader of your blog. I also have gay friends and a gay uncle. But I don't think you are better than me.

Roger

19.6.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

You know, I would have deleted this post, if it wasn't so crazy. So whatever...

19.6.11  
Anonymous JOHN @ BOSTON said...

THAT'S RIGHT RYAN. YOU SHOULD DELETE HIS POST. WE DON'T WANT BREEDERS HERE!

19.6.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's right John. I am a bitch. It takes one to know one. Haven't you heard? Life's a bitch, and unfortunatly for you, life's got lots of sisters... so be careful.

Micheline

19.6.11  
Anonymous Devon said...

WUahahahahah Michelineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Lord Have Mercyyyy, meisjeee u got me cracking up here....

20.6.11  
Anonymous Jeandrina said...

That's right, sister! Ta hode. That man is a pain in the @ss!

JD

20.6.11  
Anonymous JOHN @ BOSTON said...

I AM NOT AFRAID OF YOU MICHELINE! AMD WHAT YOU LAUGHING AT DEVON? NO ONE WAS SPEAKING TO YOU FYI! AND JD, DO WHAT YOUR INITIALS SAY; JUST DIE! WOMEN ARE NOT ALLOWED HERE. THIS IS A BLOG FOR GAY MEN ONLY!!!!

20.6.11  
Anonymous Jeandrina said...

Chupzz, bai den coño mano!

20.6.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy. John is always trying to make trouble...

20.6.11  

Post a Comment

<< Home