Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Kia ora

Sheep! That's the only thing people kept mentioning to me when I said I was coming here. But it's not a country just about sheeps. It's the place where the Lord of the Rings trilogy was shot. It's got weird and wonderful landscapes and an ancient Māori culture. And as the Kiwis are a bunch of nutcases, it's got the most extreme sports under the sun. So after travelling for over 26 hours to reach my destination... kia ora... it's New-Zealand!Photobucket
Inflight HKG-AKL
Photobucket
My plane at AKL. Rainy arrival
Photobucket
Airport sign at AKL

Photobucket
My location by Google's Lattitue for HTC Android smartphone

Yesterday I went to the Amstelveen office for the last time as a KLM'er. The week before I carried back my uniforms and yesterday was just to carry back my KLM ID and BlackBerry and to sign some final papers.
Photobucket
Bye-bye KLM!

I said goodbye to my ex-colleagues and as I was no longer a KLM employee, I was escorted out of the building by security. Once outside it hits me... "I'm no longer a KLM'er". Wow!

Remesh was waiting outside for me in his car and he drove me to Schiphol. I checked-in for my flight to London LHR and immediately got a seat, despite travelling on my last KLM issued IPB ticket. Rem and I had a light brunch at Touch Down restaurant. After a tight hug and quick kiss, I said goodbye to my boyfriend and headed to my gate. The flight was uneventful and I landed in a very busy LHR.

As I was travelling IPB, I had to collect my bag and check-in at the Air New Zealand (NZ) desk. There were 2 flights; one to Auckland AKL via Los Angeles LAX and one to AKL with a stop in Hong Kong HKG. I also could have travelled via Kuala Lumpur KUL with KLM/Malaysia Airlines, but Malaysia Airlines to Auckland was overbooked and I really didn't want to waste my time getting stuck in KUL. NZ was my second choice and the 777-200ER via HKG was my best bet. 40 minutes before departure, my name was called and I got an aisle seat. All IPB-ers got on, because there were a lot of no-shows. The flight left with 40 seats open, but all IPB-ers to AKL were checked-in up to Hong Kong. There I would see if I could continue on the same flight to AKL or be offloaded. Luckily in HKG, the Gate Agent told me that everything would be just fine and again all IPB-ers could continue to AKL. This time I got a window. It was my first time on NZ and the service was great!

This trip was a last-minute trip I planned, because I have almost 2 weeks off before I start at SkyTeam Central on July 4th. I wanted to do something I haven't done in a while and that was to backpack alone on a shoestring budget. That's right... I'm all alone. Travelling alone has many advantages to me; your time and budget are your own, it's easier to make friends with the locals, solo travel can be a great opportunity for reflection and moving at an individual pace, traveling by yourself, you only have to please yourself, you'll be far more flexible than non-solo travelers, and may find it easier to cope with unexpected setbacks and complications. Of course there are certain disadvantages, but nothing that would make me not do it.

Remesh didn't want me to go at first. We even had an argument about it a few days prior to my departure. I know that he was worried and I also realized he didn't really understand my drive to travel alone. Finally he gave in, under the condition I would find a way to keep in constant contact. Hence Google's Latitude! LOL! My parents, however, understood me completely and bought me a new backpack as the one that I bought for my last India trip was too small. Just some time alone to reflect on my life before I enter a new chapter. Am I nervous? Of course I am. It's just me, my backpack and my HTC phone. I travelled on my last IPB-ticket I purchased from KLM, but lucky for me I wasn't offloaded in LHR or HKG. Australia, New-Zealand and Tasmania have always been a dream of mine. A dream that not much people shared. So why wait, I asked myself. Just go!

Right now I'm staying at the Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel for €11,- per night in a shared dormitory. There are private rooms for €21,-, but I want the backpackers experience. I also want to test how much... or actually... how little money I can actually spend on this trip. Besides, the hostel is very clean, comfortable, has travellers from around the world and has WiFi access and internet terminals where you can lease time on one of the computers. That's what I'm actually doing at this moment. Typing a complete blog on your phone, isn't my idea of fun! Before I left a tweaked my blog a little, to remove all traces of Delta and KLM. They made me do it! Oh well.. I'm going to stay here in Auckland for 2 days before continuing on. I didn't pre-plan anything, so I'll see where I end up. I'll have a talk to other travellers to see how I'm going to do this.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Nomad Auckland

My family and friends can follow my trek on my Google via Google's Latitude that is broadcasting my whereabouts 24 hours a day via sattelite. You can do this on your smartphone or via your Google account if invited. You can see my location down to the exact street! Amazing how far we have come with these smartphones. I'm so happy with my HTC and won't miss my BlackBerry at all! Even my normal routine of buying a Lonely Planet Guide Book isn't necessary anymore, because I just bought the New Zealand apps from Lonely Planet from the market. I've bought a Vodafone NZ prepaid SIM-card at the airport and I'm getting one month of free internet access! So that's cool! I have no laptop with me, just my phone. I need to travel light afterall. So if I post a blog, it wil be short.

Anyway as it is past midnight here, so I'm going to bed. I have slight jetlag. I hope that by tomorrow the weather is better, so I can discover the city of Auckland.

The most important thing I've discovered already... all of the locations off Starbucks Coffee in Auckland. I don't care how much on a shoestring budget I am, I refuse to give up my Frappuccino. That would be just as crazy as the b*llsh!t that comes out of John @ Boston's mouth. Hey, just sayin'....

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it. So this was the surprise you were emailing me about? Welcome to Kiwiland, Ryan!!!!!! Are you heading to Christchurch???? I'd like to treat my all-time favorite blog writer a SBC Frap anytime! And why are you calling us Kiwis nutcases?! :-D Kia ora, email me your Kiwi #!

Sidenote: No worries Remesh, I'm just a Virgin employee here in Christchurh, who is married with a daughter, who has been reading Rya's blog ever since I've met him and Lesley in London in 2005. So John, don't even start.

Richard

21.6.11  
Blogger Remesh said...

Hallo Richard, I wasn't worried about anything like that.

21.6.11  
Anonymous Devon said...

Jij klaart mij met je HEY JUST SAYING....

Hahahaha LOL @ Ryan, LOL @ Richard....

Stop looking for John's attention haha. I guess that bastard is busy storming up something to comment about right now.

And where is my beloved Micheline? I guess breast feeding little Anton... xxxx


Devon

21.6.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip Ryan. I'll be following you online like a hawk!

@ Devon: Breast feeding? Hell nah! The first time I felt Anton jr's teeth on my niple, I put him straight on the bottle. Let him bite that!

Nipple biting is for a whole other situation, if you catch my drift. As Ry so often says: "just saying".

Micheline

21.6.11  
Blogger LP said...

TMI Micheline. TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!! Lord, have you got no shame???!

21.6.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Lesley, I don't. Also Ryan, WTF is that crap about shoestring and hostel with shared dormitories??? That sounds nasty!

Do you even know how often they change the sheets? Are they even changed? You got people from all over the world name Gorjev, Hakkapakka and Mfoefoe sleeping in those cheap ass beds and you don't know the last time they had a shower. Not me! I would pay for at least the private room. Since my experience with Lesley and you in Tunisia I am very wary of these kinda things. You could do better. Just tell me the nearest Wstern Union, so I can wire you money.

When you get back you better shower yourself in Dettol, before you touch my baby!

Micheline

21.6.11  
Anonymous Jenske said...

What happened in Tunisia? DYING TO KNOW!!!!

21.6.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Jenske, let me tell the story, before those 2 men of mine come with a different story.

My 2 men wanted to go on a week long vacation to Monastir and asked me to join. I was already hesistant on going to some strange Muslim country as a woman, but they said it was modern and not to worry. The price was what won me over, because the flight was free or just the taxes... can't remember... we only had to pay for the hotel. As a poor student at the time I was glad to get out during the October vacation.

Well after we got bumped off the morning flight we made it on the afternoon flight. That was my first so-called IPB trip and I wasn't a fan. When we arrived in Tunesia we headed to the hotel where the woman was giving me weird looks for sharing a room with two men and proceeded to tell her coworker in French how improper that was for a lady like me. I must be a paid whore. I couldn't believe my ears! That bitch didn't even know me. And she didn't know that I am French St. Martin, so I speak fluent French. I well told her ass off and then she's coming with her mon Dieux, mon Dieux.

Then when we arrive in the room I was so tired and feeling hot, I pulled back the sheet and threw myself on a bed. While cooling off I feel something wet on my back. At first I thought it was perspiration, but when I got up it was a wet spot. First I thought it was water, but when I smelled it... OMG! It was sexual fluid!!! Someone just previously had sex on my bed before we came in!!! When you looked at the sheets there were stains all over it. old and new! It was nasty! People from the hotel staff having fun??? I don't know! I started screaming and Ry and Les were looking at me as if I was crazy. My stomach got upset and I puked all over the bed.

It was drama. When we told the hotel staff they said it was impossible and that I had to pay for matress damage from my vomit. D R A M A!

Long story short... Friday afternoon we were in Monastir, Saturday morning I was home in Purmerend. Money done, no vacation. So the first thing I do when I enter a hotel is pull back the sheets and inspect a bed. next is the bathroom and the tub. Nasty ass people. i never went back to that country since then!!

Micheline

21.6.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

@ Micheline: Good morning, schat! FYI the dorm and bathroom are clean and I had clean sheets. I slept like a baby! Kiss my @ss with your Dettol! Sh!t me up!

Tunisia: yeah... that was what we say in Aruba 'un fracaso total'.... a total failure.

@ Devon: ;-)

@ Jackie: yes, unfortunately for everyone around her what you read here is 100% Micheline. She is painfully direct, but very very funy. I'm always in tears and pain from her making me laugh.

Nothing was more embaressing for me is when we were just landed in Amsterdam from St. Maarten after attending Lesley's sister funeral a couple of years ago. We had 100% control at the gate and Micheline was on the phone with her sister in Guadaloupe speaking French. The Marrechausse held her up and asked her what part of Africa she was from and what she was doing in St. Maarten... hmmm....

&%#@]!!!*&&^>< o_O LOL!

21.6.11  
Blogger LP said...

Hahaha! LOL! I remebered that! That was funny!

22.6.11  
Blogger Pamela said...

Have fun and be careful, son. I can't seem to get through to your WhatsApp or PingChat though.

Mom

22.6.11  
Anonymous Linda Kesauly said...

New-Zealand! Wow, that's at the end of the earth! I can't even imagine travelling for 26 hours! Enjoy!!!

22.6.11  
Anonymous JOHN @ BOSTON said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

22.6.11  
Blogger TravelAndy2..... said...

@ John from Boston Please keep it civil! If you want to insult other people please do it elswhere.
For your information this blog is not only for Gay people!
Ryan, have a safe trip and enjoy...Man do I envy you all the way on the other end of the world!

22.6.11  
Anonymous Devon said...

*IGNORED* yawn yawn aaaah

22.6.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously? WTF!

22.6.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

John, I'm going to give you a last warning. Behave yourself and respect everyone's opinion on the blog or go away. It's too bad that I can't block you from my blog, but what I can do is delete your comments. That's exactly what I am going to do now.

22.6.11  

Post a Comment

<< Home