Monday, May 02, 2011

Great ads

I was just in a meeting about KLM's new ad campaign which will start in The Netherlands in a few months and it reminded me of the Qantas ad I saw a few years back, while sitting in a Hong Kong hotel room. I reinforced the idea that no matter where you were in the world, that Australia will always be home and that Qantas... the spirit of Australia... would get you there. I know that whereever I am in the world and I'm ready to go back home and I see that big blue bird parked at the gate, the feeling of 'going home' is much stronger than when flying another airline. A job well done by Qantas. Here are the 1998, 2001 and 2004 ads. Enjoy.






Anyway, it's luch time. I'm heading to Starbucks Coffee for a Frappuccino and a Cinammon Swirl. Have a good week!

12 Comments:

Anonymous J A K E said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!

2.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, qantas did a great job on that. Kudos!

2.5.11  
Blogger LP said...

Yeah, but the thing is Qantas has a lot of O&D traffic. Origin & destination. KLM get's only 40% of its traffice from O&D. Holland is a small country afterall. In that 40% O&D you have VFR (Visiting Friends & Relatives... expats going 'home' for a visit) and Dutch vacationers. The rest is all transfer; i.e: someone going from London to New York via Amsterdam. So for them KLM is not their home carrier.

Take Quito/Guayaquil and Lima flights; 78% of those passengers are continuing to Madris, Barcelona, Milan, Rome etc. If you look at Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, St. Maarten en Paramaribo... those flights has 72% VFR. So a commercial like the one that QF has wold only work in Dutch Media or in a place that have a lot of Dutch expats (Canada and the Dutch Caribbean). In a places in Africa and South America it will completely miss the mark.

Les

3.5.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

Agreed.

3.5.11  
Anonymous Ian O'Connor said...

I saw it here on British television a few years back. I am an Aussie living in the UK for almost 20 years and I work for BA. Lesley knows who I am, as I met him a few times at Waterside and he was the one whom introduced me to this blog.

Now as you know BA and QF have a joint venture on the kangaroo route although BA only operates to SYD via SIN or BKK. QF operates to LHR from BNE, SYD, MEL and PER. When I buy a rebate ticket to go home and visit the family (what you call IPB), my travel is allowed on both BA and QF. But I tend to fly QF as much as possible because the feeling of being home is more strongly felt aboard QF. If QF is full from London, I fly BA up to SIN or BKK and take QF there. My final destination is Alice Springs, so no matter what I still have to transfer at SYD, MEL, PER or BNE.

BTW... flying the A380 is amazing! And we haven't managed to knock down other planes as yet as AF did. Sorry Ryan, I couldn't resist! :-P

Ian O'Connor
Flight Manager @ LHR/PX/BA

3.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is IAn talking about? Did AF had an acciodent with one of their brand new A380's??????!!!

Horentz

3.5.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

@ Ian: yeah, Les told me you were a joker! But I guess I get the sentiments you feel for QF. Although nowadays the so-called 'kangarroo route' that BA and QF jointly dominated is no more. Virgin flies LHR-HKG-SYD. Then we hava a whole other barrage of airlines like Emirates, Air New Zealand, Japan Airlines, Air Asia X, EVA, South African, Korean, Malaysian, Qatar Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Royal Brunei, China Airlines, Air China, China Eastern Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Asiana... and many, many more that offer one-stop service (sometimes with change of gauge) to Australia and New Zealand. Most times (especially from those Middle-Eastern airlines) the prices are much lower. QF and BA are way overpriced on regular excursion fares.

For me living in Holland I would have to tranfer in London and make a stop in BKK, SIN or HKG before arriving in Sydney or Melbourne if I were to fly QF or BA. So my choices would be more on Singapore Airlines, Malaysia, Emirates or Cathay Pacific. KLM used to fly to Australia (SYD/MEL) from Amsterdam and Milan (joint venture with Alitalia).

@ Horentz: Yes they did a few weeks back at JFK. it hit a Delta jet while taxiing. Here's a vid:
AF A380

Investigation is still pending.

3.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wat betekent change of gauge??

Lillian

3.5.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

@ Lillian: Many people make mistakes between a 'direct' flight and a 'non-stop' flight.

A direct flight is for instance: KL0781 Amsterdam-Aruba-Curaçao. For passengers to Aruba the flight is non-stop and for passengers to Curaçao it's a direct flight. You fly the same aircraft to your final destination, but it makes a stop along the way. This can be a fuel stop or a stop to drop-off and pick-up passengers.

Change of gauge doesn't happen often, but it does occur. For isnstance United Airlines has a flight Amsterdam-San Fransisco... let's say UA0123. The flight officially flies Amsterdam-Washington-San Fransisco. Although it's one flight number all the way to SFO in Washington you change aircraft. That's is what change of gauge means in aviation lingo.

3.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dank je/Thankss!

Lillian

3.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aviation has a lot of lingo. It's a good thing you put the full city/airport name followed by the 3 letter abbreviation when writing a post. because without that, I would be completely lost! I mean something like LAX, AMS and JFK, I can easily get. But how the hell am I to know that ORD is Chicago and MCO is Orlando??? Sheesh!

Michael Denny

4.5.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

Mikey, ORD is comes from Orchard Field Airport, which was the original name before it became Chicago O'Hare. MCO comes from McCoy. In KLM's airport system and administration eveything that refers to AMS is actually Amstelveen. Everything referring to Schiphol Airport is referred to as SPL.

On the other hand the AMS you see on the luggage tag is designated as Amsterdam. KLM'ers working outside of KLM's systems, refer to Amstelveen as ASV. It's confusing to outsiders, but one you are in the business it kinda comes naturally! :-)

4.5.11  

Post a Comment

<< Home