Cultural Differences
When working in aviation, you work on a worldwide scale. You get to meet people from each corner of the world. Meeting people is great, but when dealing with other cultures you have to be aware that what is considered polite and efficient in your own culture, may not be necessary for the other. Sometimes it can have religious reasons, but sometimes it's just about customs. That's why any reputable airline will train it's 'front-of-the-office' staff in dealing with different cultures. At KLM it is given to members of Ground Services and Inflight Services.
Why am I talking about this? Well today I was at the SkyTeam office going through my upcoming training schedule for when I start SkyTeam. My training will be extensive, because I have to know about the products & services of all SkyTeam airlines, their company/business culture etc. etc. Logical, since I'll be representing them. But the highest priority was given to Cross Cultural Communications training that I have to complete at Global Integration in either London, Chicago or Singapore depending on availabilty of space. It's not like I'll be dealing with a passenger once-in-a-while, I'll be working with employees from each member airline in one buidling, many of whom English is not their first language. I'll be travelling quite a bit and conduct business with these airlines as well. So it is of vital importance that you are aware of the cultural differences. This is one of the main reasons that KLM (and AF) have crew based in China, Japan and South Korea.
This is my opinion: I think when someone travels quite a bit or has taken the time to learn about other people and their cultures they will be more accepting and tolerant. You'll be amazed on how far someone will go for you when they can see that you respect their culture. You don't have to understand it... just repect it. It may make this lonely planet a better place.
Here are a few examples that may make you understand what I'm talking about. Posted with permission from SPL/NL for 30 days only. Then I have to take it down. Enjoy...
Why am I talking about this? Well today I was at the SkyTeam office going through my upcoming training schedule for when I start SkyTeam. My training will be extensive, because I have to know about the products & services of all SkyTeam airlines, their company/business culture etc. etc. Logical, since I'll be representing them. But the highest priority was given to Cross Cultural Communications training that I have to complete at Global Integration in either London, Chicago or Singapore depending on availabilty of space. It's not like I'll be dealing with a passenger once-in-a-while, I'll be working with employees from each member airline in one buidling, many of whom English is not their first language. I'll be travelling quite a bit and conduct business with these airlines as well. So it is of vital importance that you are aware of the cultural differences. This is one of the main reasons that KLM (and AF) have crew based in China, Japan and South Korea.
This is my opinion: I think when someone travels quite a bit or has taken the time to learn about other people and their cultures they will be more accepting and tolerant. You'll be amazed on how far someone will go for you when they can see that you respect their culture. You don't have to understand it... just repect it. It may make this lonely planet a better place.
Here are a few examples that may make you understand what I'm talking about. Posted with permission from SPL/NL for 30 days only. Then I have to take it down. Enjoy...
2 Comments:
Suriname is spot on! Gr8 vids!
Ik geef dit hele post een grote 'thumbs up', Ryan. Je hebt helemaal gelijk.
Lies
Post a Comment
<< Home