Thursday, May 12, 2011

Back from St. Maarten/St. Martin

As some of you know, my real father lives on the Caribbean island of St. Maarten. He actually resides on the French side of the island (St. Martin), in the town of Marigot. His nationality is French. He's a firefighter there and occasionally I go there to visit him or whenever he's in Paris for training I visit him there.

When my grandmother (his mother) died in 2005, she left me two of the five properties she owned; a house in Marigot and an apartment in Quartier d'Orleans. My father was an only child, making me the only grandchild. As I had no idea and no interest in how to manage a property, I let my father manage the two properies for me. He oversees that the bills are paid, the rent collected and repairs made if necessary. I have them rented out to French navy personnel stationed in St. Martin. I have them rented out on 2-year contracts and both were up for renewal since February.

I kept potponing it, but the attorney told me I have to sign some papers as soon as possible, or I would get in legal problems. So I decided to take a quick trip to St. Martin to get it over with. Because it was the May vacation the flights were very full. So IPB would be difficult and I certainly wasn't paying over €1000,- for a ticket. Ja, doei! I had a few options; Delta via the USA or Air France via Martinique FDF or Gauadaloupe PTP. KLM and the direct Air France flight to St. Maarten SXM were both full!

After searching the intranet, my best options were to fly via PTP and then connect on Air Caraïbes to St. Maarten SXM. So said, so done and I left on Saturday morning. I flew to Paris CDG, took the bus to Paris ORY and boarded AF to PTP. I got upgraded by a very friendly AF agent in ORY to Alizé (Premium Economy on flights to the Caribbean and Indian Ocean) Merci, Angèle!!!

The flight was alright and I landed in a not so sunny PTP. There the Air Caraïbes agent told me the flight to SXM was full, so I got offloaded. I was IPB afterall. Paying passengers go first. Two hours later there was another Air Caraïbes flight to the French side of St. Maarten to L'Espérance Airport SFG in Grand Case and I was allowed to get on it. That was even better, because it was closer to my father's house. It's the first time I landed at this airport. It only can handle smaller aircrafts. Princess Juliana SXM handled the big boys. It only took 35 minutes and I landed in what was a very rainy St. Martin.
Photobucket
Parking next to Air CaraÏbes A330 and an AF A320 at PTP
Photobucket
View from the restaurant @ PTP
Photobucket
Boarding the ATR-72 @ PTP
Photobucket
Arrival in SFG

Sunday was a resting day and I spent it with my father. Monday morning I had to get the papers signed and went and saw the properties. I spoke to the tenants a while and then headed to the Dutch side. I visited Cheryl, Les' mother. Les asked me to carry some gifts for his family. I had a delicious dinner there and then headed over to Micheline's parents (Patricia & Remy) for a quick visit. My father had to work anyway, so I had all the time in the world.

Tuesday mornig I did some quick shopping in Front Street and then headed home to get my stuff. Dad dropped me at Juliana's where I took AF back to Paris CDG and then KLM to Amsterdam AMS arriving this morning. Here's a quick vid I took:


As many of you may know, SXM is very popular worldwide for the runway that's adjacent to Maho Beach. Amazing! Here's what I'm talking about (not my video's):





My visit was 'kort, maar krachtig dus'. Talk about major jetlag! Ugh!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very shart bak to the right after take-off. St. Maarten airport seems amazing!!!!!!!!! Never knew that! wow!

Jake

12.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant sharp bank, not shart bak.

12.5.11  
Blogger LP said...

Jake, it has to make a sharp turn to the right, right after take-off, because of the hill in front of it in Cole Bay. There's where my Mom's house is situated.

That's why KLM's 747-400 has to make a stop in Curaçao or Bonaire before heading to Amsterdam, because of the shortness of the runway it wouldn't be able to take-off with a full payload (fuel, cargo & passengers). The A340-300 from AF leaves bags and cargo behind all of the time, just to get the aircraft in the air to Paris. It's a drama!

12.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oeps. Foutje. Opnieuw: ik begrijp het effe niet. Moest je naar CDG vkiegen en vanaf ORY naar PTP?? Hoezo dat dan?

Ik heb trouwens een keertje op Maho gestaan tijden een take-off van een 757 van USAirways and die zand deed verschrikkelijk veel pijn. Denk je nu echt dat ik daar ga staan als een 747 of A340 gaat opstijgen??? Dacht het niet!


Aartie

12.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simpson Bay Lagoon... I´m feeling homesick...

Micheline

12.5.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

Hoi Aartie, hoe is het???

Het is nogal gecompliceerd, maar AF gebruikt Orly voor de meeste van hun COI vluchten (Caraïbes – Océan Indien) waarbij er weinig passagiers aansluiten. Dus ze beginnen hun reis in Parijs. Ongeveer zoiets als BA doet met Gatwick in Londen. In ORY worden alle COI-vluchten uitgevoerd met777-300's die anders zijn geconfigureerd dan de reguliere 777-300's. Er zitten namelijk meer stoelen in de COI kisten.

Een reguliere 777-300ER:
- Première (First Class) - 8 stoelen.
- Affaires (Business Class) - 67 stoelen.
- Premium Voyageur (Premium Economy) - 28 stoelen.
- Voyageur (Economy) - 198 stoelen.
Totaal: 301 stoelen

Een COI 777-300ER:
- Affaires (Business Class) - 14 stoelen.
- Alizé (Premium Economy for Caribbean & Indian Ocean destinations) - 36 stoelen.
- Tempo Vacances (Economy for Caribbean & Indian Ocean destinations) - 422 stoelen.
Totaal: 472 stoelen

Een groot verschil dus. Omdat op de COI vluchten er meestal VFR passagiers vliegen (Visiting Friends & Relatives) willen die vaak geen dure tickets hebben, maar goedkopere economy stoelen. Om het toch rendabel te maken, laat je de duurdere eerste klasse weg, en minder business class. Om te compenseren voor dat verlies, doen we een grotere Premium Economy erin en de rest prop je erin als sardientjes. En het werkt. Die COI vluchten zijn meestal vol. PTP en FDF hebben 2 x per dag zo'n vlucht. Dat haalt KLM met de ABC eilanden niet eens.

St. Martin, Madagaskar, Punta Cana en Santo Domingo zijn de enige COI bestemmingen die van CDG gebruik maken door de vele aansluitende passagiers uit heel Europa. Die maken meestal wel gebruik van kisten waarin wel Première, Affaires etc. in zit door de vele premium passagiers. In de zomervakantie hebben FDF en PTP ook vluchten vanuit ORY door de vele aansluitingen. Dis is seizoen gebonden en bovenop de ORY vluchten.

En dan moet je ook niet vergeten dat Corsairfly (TUI) en Air Caraïbes ook dagelijkse vluchten hebben naar FDF en PTP vanaf ORY met een 747-400 en een A330-300 respectievelijk. Dit om je een idee te geven hoe groot de markt is tussen Frankrijk en hun overzeese gebieden (départements d'outre-mer et territoires d'outre-mer DOM-TOM)

Ik moet er wel gelijk bij zeggen dat SXM een uitzondering is. Die maakt gebruik van een A340-300, omdat die wel premium passagiers vervoeren. Velen gaan door naar de dure St. Barths (Saint-Barthélemy) met Winnair. Daarbij komt nog bij dat de luchttransport naar St. Martin als enige Franse overzeese gebied niet gesubsidieerd word door Frankrijk. De rest wel.

I know, een heel verhaal voor een kleine vraagje. Sorry about that!

Hugs & kisses,

Ryan

12.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maar wel duidelijk, schat!

Xxx. A.

12.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know your stuff, mate. I like it when someone is a know-it-all in their field of work. It shows dedication.

Landon
Delta @ ATL

12.5.11  
Anonymous Jessey.Love said...

I translated the story you told Art in Google's translator and founf it very interesting. My question is, how much territories does France have oversees and does AF fly to all. Thx

12.5.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

The amount of oversees territories I don't know. You should check on Wikipedia. As for the detinations that fall under COI, these are;

- PTP (Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadaloupe)
- FDF (Fort-de-France, Martinique)
- SXM (St. Maarten)
- SDQ (Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana)
- PUJ (Punta Cana, Republica Dominicana)
- HAV (Havana, Cuba)
- CAY (Cayenne, French Guyana)
- RUN (Saint-Denis, La Réunion)
- MRU (Mauritius)
- TNR (Antananarivo, Madagascar)

So not all COI destinations are oversees departments. For instance Papeete, Tahiti is carried out with a regular aircraft via LAX.

12.5.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT LANDING WAS AMAZING!!!!

12.5.11  

Post a Comment

<< Home