Friday, February 11, 2011

Yakushima

The Boeing Company, simply known as Boeing, is an airplane manufacturer located in the USA. Although its headquarters is in Chicago, the plant where they build the 747, 767, 777 and 787 is loacted in Everett, Washington in northwestern USA.

So as some of you may know, KLM has ordered 777-200's and 777-300's from Boeing and on February 7th it took delivery of its 5th 777-300. When an airline takes delivery, they send pilots and engineers to Everett (Paine Field) PAE to fly the plane to Amsterdam AMS and some KLM officials also tag along to sign the paperwork involved. Although it's officially a ferry flight (empty), KLM offers some of its staff the opportunity to fly along. Mostly they do it by a raffle (dutch: loting) or sometimes by some prize contest on the intranet. I always wanted to get on one of those flights, just for the experience, but never managed to do so.

Anyway, my brother-in-law Mon workes as a Manager Line Maintenance for KLM Engineering & Maintenance at Schiphol-Oost. He was also going to Everett to pick-up KLM newest bird. Remesh asked him if it was possible for me to be on the flight as well. He pulled some strings and he managed to get me a seat on the plane! That was my birthday surprise. Mon alread spoke to my Unit Manager about giving me two days off and she agreed as long as I worked this coming weekend. He knew I wouldn't mind doing that.

So Sunday Mon and I flew to Seattle SEA via Minneapolis MSP. He was on a duty ticket and I was on a regular IPB ticket that Rem paid for me. The rest of the group were either already at Everett or the flew via Detroit DTW or Atlanta ATL. I sahred a hotel room with Mon. The next day we went to Everett by cab and while everyone else was doing there thing, I was to wait in the waiting area with twenty other people whom were also flying along.

At 13.10 we were processed by the security and TSA and we went on board this brand new 777-300ER called Yakushima. As you may know KLM names it airplanes and the 77-300's are named after national parks.

After some testing we taxied out and at 15.00 we took off on a 10 hour flight to AMS. There were no inflight movies and the catering was basic, but it was great fun.

It is also tradition that after a plane departs Everett, it 'waves' to the crowd as a thank you for delivering a great aircraft. Here's the video by Matt Cawby. I think you'll see what I mean by 'wave'.

KLM 777 Delivery Flight from Matt Cawby on Vimeo.

Here are some other examples of 'waving' aircraft.

JAL 767 Delivery Flight from Matt Cawby on Vimeo.


FedEx 777F Delivery Flight from Matt Cawby on Vimeo.

So it was fun. Thanks to Mon for pulling some strings. It was a super birthday present. But now I have to work this weekend. Ugh... but what to do?

6 Comments:

Blogger TravelAndy2..... said...

Clearly I have the wrong job and the wrong family & friends :) No... I'm not a bit jealous...why should I? No I hope you had fun with your birthday present...
bit late, but still happy birhtday, Ryan. I just love those Blue Birds and watch them take of to faraway places...hmmm must consider to alter my booking for June with HV to LPA ....

11.2.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!

Gert-Jan

11.2.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the JAl video, I like how the ATC controller thanks the crew for the wave. Nice tradition. Lucky bastard!

Marlon

11.2.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

En waar zat jij dan? Vopelde je iets van dat link/rechts gedoe?

Jasmine

11.2.11  
Anonymous Devon said...

Happy belated birthday Ryan.

Micheline gefeliciteerd met de kleine, je hebt het druk want zag nog geen comment van je staan hahahahaha.

Omg! learn something new again, never knew about that wave wave creepy sh*t.

Groetjes,

Dev

11.2.11  
Blogger Traveller said...

Pff, that delivery flight was nice, but working in the weekend??? Not so nice! I worked from 07.00 to 22.00 on Saturday and 10.00-18.00 on Sunday. Anyways...

@ Andy: Dank je wel! Much appreciated! :-)

@ Jasmine: Iedereen zat uiteraard in Business Class. Maar heb tijdens de vlucht ook achter gezeten. Bizar in zo'n lege kist.

@ Dev: Thanks a million, Dev. When in the plane it isn't as bad though. When I saw the video at first I was also thinking 'WTF'???

Ryan

14.2.11  

Post a Comment

<< Home