Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ugh...

... what a weather! And what a disaster at Schiphol yesterday and today. I feel sorry for all of those stranded passengers! I was at Schiphol the whole day yesterday and today trying to coordinate the service and help out my KLM co-workers who do the handling of Delta's flights. There were cancellations left and right and tons of delays. I ended up sleeping over at Lesley's in Hoofddorp last night, because of the confusion of the Dutch Railways (NS) and trains not riding. Turned out to be a good idea anyway, because it meant I was at Schiphol at 04.00 this morning. I left at 17.30. So I am beat!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Remesh had to go to some family's party in The Hague, but I was definitely not in the mood for that. So I told him to go alone with his kids. But after the party, after he dropped his kids off at their Mom, he'll come over to spend the remainder of the weekend with me in Rotterdam.

After I arrived at Rotterdam Centraal from Schiphol this evening, I went straight to Rotterdam's West-Kruiskade to buy some Christmas food stuff. There are a lot of Caribbean, Asian, Suriname shops and stores there. Strangely enough I bought some delicious Ayaca (or Hallaca) from a Dutch butcher. Ayaca is something we traditionally eat around Christmas in Aruba. It's actually a Venezuelan dish, but like may things in Aruba, we took it over. Sometimes I think that Aruba, unlike Curaçao, does not have its own identity. We adopted many things from mainly the USA, Venezuela and a little of Holland. We celebrate Thanksgiving, Halloween and stuff and eat Ayaca, sing aguinaldos and speak fluent Spanish. If you ask me what an authentic Aruban dish was, I wouldnt have a clue. Anyone? Not that I have a problem with it... Aruba is Aruba. It is what it is and I love my home country. My heart will always be there.

So now I am going to take a shower and then relax on the sofa under a fleece blanket with my Ayaca and Maltín Polar. Je weet toch; lekker chill...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly where did you get ayaca and does it taste like the 'real' thing???? Because I'm going to Megan this week in R'dam and would like some. The waether here in A'dam is just terrible. My poor Uggs...!

Michelle

19.12.10  
Blogger Traveller said...

Slagerij Schell: http://www.slagerij-schell.nl/

20.12.10  

Post a Comment

<< Home