Back from BCN
I just came back from an up-and-down Barcelona BCN trip. I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but on October 16th, my Dad is turning 50. And because Dad isn't into this 'Abraham' confusion that Dutch people get into, he wanted to spend his birthday as far from Holland as possible. So my brother Junior and I were brainstorming a few months back and we came up with this idea to send my parents on a Mediterranean cruise.
We looked at a few options and decided that the Celebrity Constellation would be a great cruise for them to go on. The itinerary is Barcelona (Spain), Nice (France), Genoa (Italy), Florence (Italy), Rome/Civitavecchia (Italy), Naples/Capri (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain). We booked through a cruise specialist in Holland and we got a great deal on a cabin with balcony.
I decided that I would travel to BCN with my parents on a Delta IPB ticket, with them as my companions. The risk was minimal, because unlike with KLM IPB tickets, I wasn't constricted to flying KLM only, but had the freedom to travel KLM, Transavia.com, Iberia or even Air France via Paris CDG. That's where Delta beats KLM hand down in companion travel.
My Dad was extatic about it and so this morning we left on KLM to BCN. The flight wasn't full and we immediatly got seats at the check-in desk and at the gate we were upgraded to Europe Select thanks to a buddy of mine at SPL/KK (KLM Operations).
After arrival in BCN, we took a taxi to the port and had brunch, while awaiting the 12.00 boarding time. At 12.15 I said goodbye to my parents and took a cab back to BCN to catch a flight back to Amsterdam AMS. It was my luck, that there was a KLM flight still at the gate. Because I had no luggage, the agent checked me in at the gate and I was on my way back to AMS. I arrived at 15.30 and took Fyra back home.
On October 16th (Dad's b-day), the ship will arrive back in Barcelona and then my brother and I will fly out to Spain to spend 3 days with our parents to celebrate Dad'd 50th birthday there. It was his wish and hey... you only turn 50 once!
Mom did the same when she turned 50 5 years ago. She wanted to soend it in Aruba, because she didn't want people to start some 'Sarah' confusion. And so we did! And we had a blast. Hey, I spent my sweet 16 in Orlando with family, my 20th in Ecuador on my first ever IPB ticket when I worked the KLM flights in Aruba and my 30th in Milan. You should celebrate your birthday on your terms. It's the best way! I know....
We looked at a few options and decided that the Celebrity Constellation would be a great cruise for them to go on. The itinerary is Barcelona (Spain), Nice (France), Genoa (Italy), Florence (Italy), Rome/Civitavecchia (Italy), Naples/Capri (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain). We booked through a cruise specialist in Holland and we got a great deal on a cabin with balcony.
![]() |
Celebrity Cruises' Constellation |
I decided that I would travel to BCN with my parents on a Delta IPB ticket, with them as my companions. The risk was minimal, because unlike with KLM IPB tickets, I wasn't constricted to flying KLM only, but had the freedom to travel KLM, Transavia.com, Iberia or even Air France via Paris CDG. That's where Delta beats KLM hand down in companion travel.
My Dad was extatic about it and so this morning we left on KLM to BCN. The flight wasn't full and we immediatly got seats at the check-in desk and at the gate we were upgraded to Europe Select thanks to a buddy of mine at SPL/KK (KLM Operations).
After arrival in BCN, we took a taxi to the port and had brunch, while awaiting the 12.00 boarding time. At 12.15 I said goodbye to my parents and took a cab back to BCN to catch a flight back to Amsterdam AMS. It was my luck, that there was a KLM flight still at the gate. Because I had no luggage, the agent checked me in at the gate and I was on my way back to AMS. I arrived at 15.30 and took Fyra back home.
On October 16th (Dad's b-day), the ship will arrive back in Barcelona and then my brother and I will fly out to Spain to spend 3 days with our parents to celebrate Dad'd 50th birthday there. It was his wish and hey... you only turn 50 once!
Mom did the same when she turned 50 5 years ago. She wanted to soend it in Aruba, because she didn't want people to start some 'Sarah' confusion. And so we did! And we had a blast. Hey, I spent my sweet 16 in Orlando with family, my 20th in Ecuador on my first ever IPB ticket when I worked the KLM flights in Aruba and my 30th in Milan. You should celebrate your birthday on your terms. It's the best way! I know....

8 Comments:
waarom blog je in het Engels en niet Nederlands? Je komt toch uit de Nederlandse Antillen, je woont in Nederland, je werkt in Nederland voor een Nederlandse maatschappij. Lijkt me logisch dat je gewoon in het Nederlands blogt. Aanpassen heet dat hier.
Jannie
Ik neem aan dat je het niet slecht bedoelt, Jannie. Dus ik zal het even uitleggen:
Ten eerste: Ik kom uit Aruba... niet de Antillen. Misschien is het een klein of geen verschil voor jou, maar een grote voor alle Arubanen. Het is net een Nederlander een Belg noemen ofzo. Aruba behoort al meer dan 25 jaar niet meer tot de Nederlandse Antillen.
Ten tweede: mijn overgrootvader is een blanke Schot die met zijn familie geëmigreerd was naar Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Daar was hij getrouwd met een zwarte vrouw. St. Vincent & the Grenadines (zoek maar op op Wikipedia) is een voormalig Engels kolonie in de Caribische gebied. Iedereen sprak dus Engels. In de jaren '40 zijn ze geëmigreerd naar Aruba omdat er daar werk was. Zo is mijn familie van moeder's kant (Banfield) daar terecht gekomen.
Mijn vader's familie heeft ook een soortgelijk verhaal, alleen die komen oorspronkelijk uit Ierland (O'Mitchell) en zijn via Barbados op Aruba terecht gekomen. Ook voor werk.
Op Aruba is de meest gesproken taal Papiaments (straat). School wordt in het Nederlands geveven. Officiële taal van de overheid in Nederlands. Naast papiaments en Nederlands spreekt bijna iedereen Spaans en Engels. Spaans omdat we heel veel beïnvloed worden door Zuid-Amerika en Engels door de vele Engelse immigranten van de jaren '30, '40 etc. 'Echte' Arubanen zijn niet zwart/negers, maar Indianen en mensen van Latino afkomts. Alle zwarten/mix zijn eigenlijk immigranten van vele jaren terug. Maar ik voel me 100% Arubiano!
Thuis spreek ik Engels met m'n ouders/familie. Ze wilden niet dat ik de taal verleerde. Papiaments is voor mij ook geen probleem. Sommige familieleden (zoals cousin Monique & Jennifer) spreken voornamelijk Papiaments thuis.
Spaans is easy-breazy and sja...NL... daar hoef ik niet veel over te zeggen.
Junior's zoontje wordt ook meertalig opgevoed. Ik zie er alleen voordelen in.
But to get back to your original question, Jannie... English, because my weblog is not only read in Holland. It's read by people the world over. There you go....
As of tomorrow 10-10-10, the Netherlands Antilles as we know it will seize to exsist. English is my native language as well and I'm from St. Maarten (Netherlands Antilles). I do not speak Papiament nor Spanish, but fluent French, because half the island (St. Maarten/St. Martin) is French and uses the Euro, while we still use the Antillian Guilder. Complicated, yet simple!
Les
Waarom denken sommige mensen dat je 'Nederlander' moet worden om aangepast te zijn? Ik kom net als Lesley hierboven uit St. Maarten. Ik voel me absoluut geen Nederlander. Ik heb hier mijn studie afgerond, ik woon hier, ik werk hier en ge binnenkort trouwen met een Makamba (Nederlander). Maar St. Maarten zal altijd 'thuis' zijn voor mij en een heleboel van ons voelen ons precies hetzelfde. Sommige NL'ers zien dat als een beledeging, maar het zit in je bloed. I love Holland, but I'm in love with St. Maarten! Big difference!
Micheline
Ik vind dit een goede discussie, want wij Surinamers hebben dat ook. Ik ben zelf een Surinaamse Hindoestaan, maar zie mezelf gewoon als Surinamer.
Sranan is een multi-cultureel land met Negers/Creolen, Bosnegers, Indianen, Indiërs (Hindoestanen & Moslims), Javanen, Chinezen, Latino's etc. In Sranan staat de Katholieke kerk naast de Synagoge en de Moskee in één straat.
Ik woon sinds mijn 8ste in NL en voel me toch geen NL. Ik spreek meer NL dan Hindi thuis met de familie. Ik kan ook wat Sranantongo (Creoolse Engels), maar niet veel. Engels heb ik zoals velen gewoon op school geleerd en af en toe word ik door Ry uitgelachen, door mijn Nederlands getint uitspraak. :-)
Maar goed... een Hollander kijkt naar mij en ziet geen Nederlander. Hij ziet een allochtoon. Zo simpel is het.
Mijn kids worden ook niet gezien als Nederlanders. Ik heb weinig moeite met het combineren van de 2 culturen waar ik in leef. Gelukkig maar!
Suriname always feels like home,
India feels like coming home,
Holland is where I live a succesful life,
In my heart is where I live a happy life!
Dat zegt al alles.
I only see benefits in speaking and writing in English for Ryan as he works for Delta and in his line of work speaking multiple languages is considerd a plus.
Daarnaast vind ik het wel prettig omdat ik op deze manier mijn engels bij kan houden.
Nice vid of taking off from Schiphol, can't wait before we go again in just three weeks....
Andy
Ach, enegel of nederlands... wat maakt het uit.
Well, I for one am from the States and if this blog was written in any other language than English I would not be able to follow it.
Greg
Post a Comment
<< Home