Wednesday, February 03, 2010

My side....

It's after 01.00 and I just arrived home from work. I'm tired and hungry. So while I'm waiting for my pizza to arrive let me blog a little. That is the great thing about living in the city... food is always available 24 hours a day! I'm telling you, thuisbezorgd is my best friend!

Pfff... I worked my butt off today to get all my work done. Wednesday and Thursday I took off. I am off!

Anyway I didn't have much to say about Remesh' posts, but i got tons of emails. People, there is nothing too special about my love life! Give it a rest! But I will set the record straight and give you my point of view.

Fact: when I first met Remesh years ago when I was at AFC, I indeed didn't think much of him. I thought he was weird. Go figure! Later when we became friends and he told me he was gay, I didn't see him as more than a friend. It may sound very shallow, but I never was attracted to Hindoestanen, so let alone to be in a relationship with one.

After my ex and I decided to split up, I wasn't looking for a relationship at all. As a matter of fact I was enjoying the single life... a lot! I was living in a big city, had a job I liked, travelled this lonely planet, had great friends and a super family. I wasn't really missing anything and most of all I enjoyed my freedom to do what I wanted, when I wanted and how I wanted. That's me... I love my freedom. Even in a relationship.

Another fact: I didn't have a clue that Remesh liked me more than a friend until he told me. Yes, I was shocked and because I didn't know how to react I kept him at a distance. But at the same time I started to look at him differently. It was like I saw him for the first time as a man and not just as another friend. And yes, it was weird, because in my head it was a complete mismatch!

But as time went by I developed feelings. When I was in Aruba for the holidays, I missed him a lot, I'm not going to lie. When I left Aruba and spent a night in Houston by myself. While I was in the hotel, I decided to take a chance and follow my feelings and instincts. I never do that! I'm always one to be very grounded and always follow my head. It's just in my character. So when I arrived back in Holland, I dropped my bags home and went straight to his house before I lost my nerve and because I didn't know what to say, a kiss seemed like a great option and it worked out well for me.

I decided to see where it would lead and see if we were compatible. The truth is, I didn't think we were. It took 4 months, but Remesh proved me wrong. I fell heads over heels, so to speak. I think one of the reasons I love him is because he reminds me of my Dad. He is a quiet person, super smart, very responsible (finances, family, kids etc.), hard-working, ambitious, likes very simple things in life, plans for the future, is a very giving person, shows affection a whole lot, talks about his feelings very often, is easy going with people and most importantly... I have loads of fun with him and he makes me laugh! I in turn am very hectic (druk), spend money like crazy, live likes there's no tomorrow, don't have a real career goal in life (I just see where I end up), I don't talk about my feelings easily, although I try to show it instead and for me to be open with you, I have to know you. But I love to make jokes and make people laugh. What we both have in common is that we are both very family oriented and appreciate our friends a lot. True friendship is worth gold. But like my Dad gives my Mom all her freedom in the world, I get the same from Remesh. Freedom takes trust, so it's not an easy thing to give. But I got it.

Do we fight? Hell yes!! And most of our fights have to do with jealousy. I am a very jealous person and so is he. But making up afterwards is.... laat maar. :-)

Some readers said I lied. Hmmm... perhaps. Although I like to blog, it's no reason to put your whole entire life on the web. Besides, at that time I myself wasn't even sure where this was going. And because I hate throwing the words 'I love you' around like it means nothing, I had to make sure that my feelings were genuine. So that when I said it, I actually meant it. Especially with him.

I will be honest; I did have my hang-ups on dating someone of a totally different culture I wasn't familiar with. I grew up with God (Catholic) and I still believe. I have no problems with non-believers or people of a different faith, but I never saw myself in a relationship with one. The key is to be open. I participate in almost all of his Hindi festivals and rituals. I am not obligated to. It's different, but it will never be my thing. Just as Christianity will never be his and that's okay. I eat my McD's and BK's burgers and enjoy a juicy steak. He doesn't and that's okay.

I get along great with the 3 kids and I really love them a lot. I like spending time with them, but that's something I don't blog about often, because they are kids and their lives do not have to be on the internet. That cartoon image of us was actually made by his son Arun. That little rascal!
Photobucket
Shayenne, Arshay & Arun

His parents and family are also super. It took a while, but eventually they accepted me as one of their own and I'm very greatful for that. My parents and brother inturn are in love with Remesh. Sometimes I think they prefer him over me! LOL!
Photobucket
Party at my Remesh's family
Photobucket
My 'brothers-in-law': Dinish, Mon & Chris. Mon is the oldest brother. He was with me at the DL party last month. He works at KLM Engineering & Maintenance
Photobucket
Christmas at Remesh's family. Great people

So there you have the entire story. Nothing too special. Everyone has their own love tale. Oh, m
y pizza is here!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Jeandrina said...

Happy Birthday to you,
You belong in a zoo
With the monkeys and the donkeys
And you look like one too!

Happy Birthday cousin! I LOVE YOU!

JD

3.2.10  
Blogger Pamela said...

Happy Birthday so from your father and me. Enjoy your day.

Love Mom and Dad.

3.2.10  
Anonymous Junior said...

Happy birthday bro! You're getting older and as they famous quote goes; inside every older person is a younger person... wondering what the hell happened.

Will call ya later!

Jun

3.2.10  
Anonymous Micheline said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Mitchell! Here is hoping that your day will be as special as you are.

Micheline

3.2.10  
Anonymous Mandy said...

Van harte gefeliciteerd lieve zwaggertje van me! Probeerde je te bellen, maar ik kreeg constant voicemail! Dikke kus!

M.

3.2.10  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gefeliciteerd collega! Geniet maar van je verjaardag op je welverdiende vrije dag. Vrijdag is er een stapel papieren op je bureau. XD

Ric

3.2.10  
Anonymous LP said...

A year older is a year wiser, but you'll always be forever young. Happy B-day buddy. When can I come for my cake?? I love you! Enjoy it all!

Les

3.2.10  
Anonymous RdG said...

Gefeliciteerd Ryan! Ik zit nu in Manchester en ga strakkies terug naar AMS. Einde van m'n BIP week.

Geniet ervan!

Rob

3.2.10  
Anonymous Devon said...

Happy birthday, who would have thought?
Inside the box, guess what I brought!
I’m sure you’ll like it, more as your age,
You are the focus, on center stage.

All these years, memories created,
I did not choose, we’re simply aviation related.
Knowing you, like the back of my hand,
Remember the time, we played in the sand?

I picked it myself, decision was clear,
Once you see it, I’m expecting a Cheer!
I know you will need them, on your Adventures,
Inside the box, a new set of dentures!

I'm reading your blog sinds 2006 and I still can't get enough of it.

Enjoy your day, Mr. Mitchell

Devon

3.2.10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not getting older, you're getting better. Happy birthday cuzz! Love you!

Michelle

3.2.10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! You thought your boyfriend was weird. LOL!

Anyway a very happy birthday to you. I'm a fan of your weblog since last year. We are sorta co-workers actually. So whenever you are in SLC, drop by the international check-in office!

Lydia
SLC/PX/DL

3.2.10  
Anonymous Jennifer B. said...

Happy Birthday Ryan. You're not getting older, you're just a little closer to death.

Mwah!

Jenny

3.2.10  
Anonymous Monique said...

You're another year older and another year wiser. So put your brain to work and figure out there ain't no gift for you.

Happy Birthday primo! Mi stima bo!

Niki

3.2.10  
Blogger Angelo said...

Happy b-day! Old, older, oldest :-)

3.2.10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyeux anniversaire, Ryan.

Pascal @ AF Roissy

3.2.10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno what time it is in NL, but here it is still february 3rd. Happy birthday cousin! Many, many, many more years to come.

Deborah & Kathy

4.2.10  

Post a Comment

<< Home