Finally...
... some time to myself to write a post. I came back from Aruba and I hit the floor running, because the next day I was back at work with jetlag and all. I even worked yesterday (Saturday) to catch up on the backlog of work.
Anyway it was great being 'home' again. I really had a great time with my family and friends celebrating carnival. And through a tip from a reader, who has recently been on the island, I found out there was a Starbucks Coffee there. So I don't have to tell you I was constantly there whenever I was in Oranjestad! Some people asked me why I didn't carry Remesh with me. I could give many answers, but it came down to this: I decided last minute that I was going. Remesh kept saying that at work things were hectic and busy, so maybe getting off would be difficult... blah, blah, blah. So I just booked for myself. You snooze, you lose. In any case, if he decided to go later on, I could always book a Buddy Pass for him via Delta. We get to give away 10 a year. It does come with restrictions though.
As for myself... I am free to book an IPB ticket with KLM or with Delta. Depending on the destination, price and the agreements with other airlines I make my choice with whom I book. With both airlines I can travel with KLM, Delta and many other airlines (Continental, United, American, Martinair etc.). Now with KLM's Companion Travel, Remesh has to travel with me and it could only be on a KLM aircraft. With Delta's Buddy Pass he was allowed to travel by himself, but only on a Delta aircraft.
Because the direct flights to Aruba were full, I was planning to go with Delta to Aruba via New York JFK or Atlanta ATL and return with KLM from either Aruba AUA, Bonaire BON or Curaçao CUR or even with Air France from Santo Domingo SDQ or Caracas CCS. My parents travelled on Delta's Family Pass which gives them the same freedom that I have to travel on many airlines. So for Remesh it would be very restrictive. And when going to Aruba in the high season, you need the freedom to switch airlines or change destinations whenever you want. Also he can't dance to save his life. But that's something I am not going to get into.
On Sunday February 14th (Valentine Day) was the Grand Parade in Oranjestad.

My cousin Deborah (Debby) and Tante Grace

Debby, her daughter Kathy and Tante Grace at carnival
After having tons of fun watching the parade and dancing behind the last band (we call it last lap), we were invited to my Aunt and Uncle's home in Moko. Apparently there was some after-carnival party going on. But it wasn't that at all. Sure there was a party, but it was the moment my cousin Melissa's (Lisa) boyfriend Roderick decided to propose to her! OMG! It was so romantic to see him on his knees with the ring in his hand declaring his love and proposing marriage to her in front of the whole family!!


Uncle Alfredo (Fredo). He's Lisa's Dad. To some he may look familiar, because he is the head of the Aruba Drug Team at Beatrix Airport. He is also often at Schiphol for training with the Dutch team. He also works in Curaçao.

Uncle Fredo with Lisa's and Roderick's son Ryan. Cool name!

Lisa's Mom. Tante Mercedes (Sady)

My cousin Jennifer (Jenny) with her sleepy son DJ

I was surprised to see that DJ could now walk on his own!

My family: Jenny, Tante Sharon, Grandpa, cousin Stephanie and Grandma
Then came the proposal:




Lisa & Roderick
Then came the conratulations:


Congrats to the happy couple!
And then we partied until 05.00 in the morning! Good times! But after I got home, I slept for about 2 hours and then woke up to pack and get ready to leave. I listed myself on the KLM flight hoping I wouldn't have to travel via the USA with Delta later that afternoon and having to overnight in Atlanta. It was worth the shot. I made sure only to be travelling with hand luggage, because if I got denied boarding by KLM, I would just have to run over to the other terminal to try for Delta. You see Aruba's Airport has one terminal for USA departures and one for non-USA departures. The reasson for this is that Aruba has United States pre-clearance done by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers. Travellers pass through Immigration and Customs, Public Health, and Department of Agriculture inspections before boarding their flight. So upon arrival in the States, you can just collect your bags and walk away as if it was a domestic flight.

USA departures

Non-USA departures
About 40 minutes before the flight was to depart, the agent for KLM told me that I was on the flight. But because the flight was slightly oversold in Curaçao CUR, their could be a chance of me being offloaded there. I decided to take a chance and go ahead. In any case there was also a DL flight from CUR to ATL I could try to get on if necessary.
Upon arrival in CUR I stayed on board, but then an agent came on board and told me to get off. I was being offloaded :-( So I was at the check-in counter of KLM waiting to see if I could get back on. Those KLM agents at CUR really need some education in the KLM procedures. But that's another story. Long story short, the Captain decided he would take 3 IPB'ers on a jumpseat if they were willing. I just took it. It isn't my first time in a jumpseat, but after jumpseating from Singapore to Amsterdam a few years back, I vowed never to do it again. Never say never.

My flight from Aruba

Delta arrival from Alanta
It was an agonizing 9 hour flight without any sleep, but I made it. I took the train home, made some calls, went to the supermarket and went straight to bed and slept until Remesh woke me up around 21.00 to get something to eat. I was tired! Pff...
Anyway this past weekend was quiet. After work on Saturday I spend the rest of the evening in Papendrecht at Remesh's home watching DVD's with him and the kids. Sunday I went out with Nik, Ash and Djini... 3 of my in-laws. Remesh had to go to a children's party with his kids, so it was just me. I really enjoyed myself in The Hague/Den Haag with 3 very good looking guys! LOL! I am really lucky with the way Remesh's family treat me.

Nikhil, Asheesh and Radjinder
I took today off, because I will be heading to Amsterdam to spend the day with Les and Mich. Because we all have very hectic schedules we really have to plan a day that all 3 of us are available to do something together. Since Larissa's death we actually make it a point to stay in touch. Sure we always are on the phone, are chatting via MSN or something... and sometimes Les and me accidently meet up at Schiphol on our way to/from work, but that's mostly a 'hi' and a 'bye' situation.

Lesley, Micheline & me last year
So today should be fun with some shopping, food, a movie and lots of 'mele'. It means gossip. Hey... at the end of the day we are human! :-)
Have a great week!
Anyway it was great being 'home' again. I really had a great time with my family and friends celebrating carnival. And through a tip from a reader, who has recently been on the island, I found out there was a Starbucks Coffee there. So I don't have to tell you I was constantly there whenever I was in Oranjestad! Some people asked me why I didn't carry Remesh with me. I could give many answers, but it came down to this: I decided last minute that I was going. Remesh kept saying that at work things were hectic and busy, so maybe getting off would be difficult... blah, blah, blah. So I just booked for myself. You snooze, you lose. In any case, if he decided to go later on, I could always book a Buddy Pass for him via Delta. We get to give away 10 a year. It does come with restrictions though.
As for myself... I am free to book an IPB ticket with KLM or with Delta. Depending on the destination, price and the agreements with other airlines I make my choice with whom I book. With both airlines I can travel with KLM, Delta and many other airlines (Continental, United, American, Martinair etc.). Now with KLM's Companion Travel, Remesh has to travel with me and it could only be on a KLM aircraft. With Delta's Buddy Pass he was allowed to travel by himself, but only on a Delta aircraft.
Because the direct flights to Aruba were full, I was planning to go with Delta to Aruba via New York JFK or Atlanta ATL and return with KLM from either Aruba AUA, Bonaire BON or Curaçao CUR or even with Air France from Santo Domingo SDQ or Caracas CCS. My parents travelled on Delta's Family Pass which gives them the same freedom that I have to travel on many airlines. So for Remesh it would be very restrictive. And when going to Aruba in the high season, you need the freedom to switch airlines or change destinations whenever you want. Also he can't dance to save his life. But that's something I am not going to get into.
On Sunday February 14th (Valentine Day) was the Grand Parade in Oranjestad.

My cousin Deborah (Debby) and Tante Grace

Debby, her daughter Kathy and Tante Grace at carnival
After having tons of fun watching the parade and dancing behind the last band (we call it last lap), we were invited to my Aunt and Uncle's home in Moko. Apparently there was some after-carnival party going on. But it wasn't that at all. Sure there was a party, but it was the moment my cousin Melissa's (Lisa) boyfriend Roderick decided to propose to her! OMG! It was so romantic to see him on his knees with the ring in his hand declaring his love and proposing marriage to her in front of the whole family!!


Uncle Alfredo (Fredo). He's Lisa's Dad. To some he may look familiar, because he is the head of the Aruba Drug Team at Beatrix Airport. He is also often at Schiphol for training with the Dutch team. He also works in Curaçao.

Uncle Fredo with Lisa's and Roderick's son Ryan. Cool name!

Lisa's Mom. Tante Mercedes (Sady)

My cousin Jennifer (Jenny) with her sleepy son DJ

I was surprised to see that DJ could now walk on his own!

My family: Jenny, Tante Sharon, Grandpa, cousin Stephanie and Grandma
Then came the proposal:




Lisa & Roderick
Then came the conratulations:


Congrats to the happy couple!
And then we partied until 05.00 in the morning! Good times! But after I got home, I slept for about 2 hours and then woke up to pack and get ready to leave. I listed myself on the KLM flight hoping I wouldn't have to travel via the USA with Delta later that afternoon and having to overnight in Atlanta. It was worth the shot. I made sure only to be travelling with hand luggage, because if I got denied boarding by KLM, I would just have to run over to the other terminal to try for Delta. You see Aruba's Airport has one terminal for USA departures and one for non-USA departures. The reasson for this is that Aruba has United States pre-clearance done by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers. Travellers pass through Immigration and Customs, Public Health, and Department of Agriculture inspections before boarding their flight. So upon arrival in the States, you can just collect your bags and walk away as if it was a domestic flight.

USA departures

Non-USA departures
About 40 minutes before the flight was to depart, the agent for KLM told me that I was on the flight. But because the flight was slightly oversold in Curaçao CUR, their could be a chance of me being offloaded there. I decided to take a chance and go ahead. In any case there was also a DL flight from CUR to ATL I could try to get on if necessary.
Upon arrival in CUR I stayed on board, but then an agent came on board and told me to get off. I was being offloaded :-( So I was at the check-in counter of KLM waiting to see if I could get back on. Those KLM agents at CUR really need some education in the KLM procedures. But that's another story. Long story short, the Captain decided he would take 3 IPB'ers on a jumpseat if they were willing. I just took it. It isn't my first time in a jumpseat, but after jumpseating from Singapore to Amsterdam a few years back, I vowed never to do it again. Never say never.

My flight from Aruba

Delta arrival from Alanta
It was an agonizing 9 hour flight without any sleep, but I made it. I took the train home, made some calls, went to the supermarket and went straight to bed and slept until Remesh woke me up around 21.00 to get something to eat. I was tired! Pff...
Anyway this past weekend was quiet. After work on Saturday I spend the rest of the evening in Papendrecht at Remesh's home watching DVD's with him and the kids. Sunday I went out with Nik, Ash and Djini... 3 of my in-laws. Remesh had to go to a children's party with his kids, so it was just me. I really enjoyed myself in The Hague/Den Haag with 3 very good looking guys! LOL! I am really lucky with the way Remesh's family treat me.

Nikhil, Asheesh and Radjinder
I took today off, because I will be heading to Amsterdam to spend the day with Les and Mich. Because we all have very hectic schedules we really have to plan a day that all 3 of us are available to do something together. Since Larissa's death we actually make it a point to stay in touch. Sure we always are on the phone, are chatting via MSN or something... and sometimes Les and me accidently meet up at Schiphol on our way to/from work, but that's mostly a 'hi' and a 'bye' situation.

Lesley, Micheline & me last year
So today should be fun with some shopping, food, a movie and lots of 'mele'. It means gossip. Hey... at the end of the day we are human! :-)
Have a great week!
14 Comments:
Well have fun in Amsterdam. Shame that Remesh can't dance. But ja, what do you expect from a Surinamer?
Letitia
Hey, hey! I am also from Suriname. And believe me , I can dance.
Robin
Oh, I'm sorry Robin. I thought you wre from China, Japan, Taiwan or something.
Letitia.
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!! LOL'd @ Letitia!
Marissa
You always with that damn picture of us.
Letitia, you are bold! :-D
Anyway truth be told, all the time I have known Remesh I never some him dance come to think about it. Then again I never saw a Hindu getting down on the dancefloor with reaggea, R&B, Hiphop, salsa, merengue etc.
And just for the record: Robin can dance!
Ry, what ZED agreement does KL have with BA. And DL with BA? Anyway, see you in a few hours. Don't be late.
Les
Then again I never saw a Hindu getting down on the dancefloor with reaggea, R&B, Hiphop, salsa, merengue etc.
Big surprise! All I've ever see them do is that Bollywood/Indian confusion that I just don't get and don't want to get. I mean seriously.... poor Remesh, he can't help it. Well Ryan since you tried your best to integrate into his culture, it's time to show him some whining and grinding Caribbean style. Also stop with that pic now. You need to make a new one. Tot strakkies!! Mwah!
Mich
Hahaha! Jullie noemen jullie zelf vrienden????? Hou op met me te pesten! Ik kan niet dansen. Ik heb 2 linkerbenen. Ook dat Bollywood kan ik niet. Maar ik heb mezelf beloofd dat ik m'n best zal doen om te gaan leren. Wacht maar af, jullie zullen allemaal versteld staan! Lol!
@ Letitia: Jou krijg ik nog wel, b*tch! Hihihi.
Rob
@ Letitia hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, OMFG hahahaha
@ Remeshes je hebt gelijk, zet die middelvinger maar omhoog naar ze.
@ Ryan those 3 gentlemen's are cute indeed, and JD is soooooo cute.
Anyways greetings from gray Haarlem.
@ Robin waar hang je uit ik heb jou nog nooit in de BMC of ergens op SPL gezien. Wanneer vlieg je weer? Ik 24feb laatste dag van mijn vakantie en 25ste kut BIP en daarna nog een BIP. If I only knew how to get rid of the 737 :@ :@
@ Ryan by the way what about your Mini Cooper??? You never spoke wrote about it again. Or you sold it?
So back from a fun day in Amsterdam with Les, Micheline and Elbert. We ate at some Japanese restaurant (Tokyo Café) where you can eat teppanyaki. Truth to be told, I'm not a fan of Japanese cuisine and sushi, wasabi etc., but the grilled stuff tasted alright.For those of you familiar with the American franchise, you can compare it to Benihana.
@ Letitia & Micheline: I should not laugh, but you had me almost falling off the chair. Okay Remesh can't dance, but that's not really important to me. As for the comment about Robin... well he himself knows that the first time I met him I was thinking 'what the hell does this Indonesian guy want with me...'. Hahaha. Geen haar op mijn hoofd dacht dat hij Surinamer was! HAHAHAHA!
As for the pic... I can't be bothered to be looking for one with all 3 of us on it.
@ Remesh: Je hebt geen 2 linkerbenen. Je moet gewoon een gevoel voor ritme ontwikkelen en dan komt het allemaal goed.
@ Dev: yep Í traded the first one in last October for another one. I just don't drive often, because the OV that I get from work covers my travel between Dordrecht & Amsterdam in the train, bus, tram and metro. I can use the Fyra 10 times a month. The rest has to be done by the regular Intercity. So my travel to Dordrecht when going to my parents... Papendrecht when going to Remesh... everything inside of R'dam... and everything between R'dam and Amsterdam is covered by work. So I hardly use my car at all. Only when going to Brabant (Breda, Tilburg) or someweher thatisn't cover by my OV, I use my car.
Ryan
Oh yeah Les, KL & BA = ZED Medium. DL & BA = ZED high
I said it before and I will say it again. That's not a car, but a dinky toy!
LOL! Well better a Cooper than a Smart car. When my car had to go to the garage for repairs, I got a Smart car for the week. Well, look at me driving on the highway with trucks and busses zooming past me. OMG! I was freaking out! Nooit meer!!!
Micheline.
Post a Comment
<< Home