The Friendly Island...
Family Beauperthuy's home, Point Blanch, St. Maarten - Local time 11.45
It was not planned, but Lesley asked me Friday if I was willing to accompany him to St. Maarten on Sunday. His sister Larissa would be on the same KLM flight. I checked with work and they gave me the off days as long as I catch up as soon as I'm back... meaning working in the weekends.
Lesley already had a ticket that British Airways issued for him on KLM. They do this in the cases of emergecies like a death to a close relative. It's a confirmed seat, but at a special rate. I checked with staff travel and the flight was wide open, so I bought an IPB ticket. I was looking for a hotel in St. Maarten, because Lesley's home would be full with family coming from abroad. I called Micheline (a friend of both Lesley and me) to ask which affordable hotel I could best reserve and she offered for me to stay at her parents house in Point Blanche, which isn't too far from Lesley mother's house in Cole Bay. I know Micheline's parents well from their visits to Holland and my vacations to St. Maarten. Then a thought popped up in my head and I asked Micheline if she wanted to go St. Maarten for 4 days. She would get to go to the funeral and she would get to see her parents. I would pay for her IPB as a thank you for welcoming me in her home. She was surprised and after she checked with her school (she is studying to be a dentist) she agreed to come along. So Sunday morning Lesley, Micheline and I were at Schiphol. At check-in I told the agent that Lesley would be flying along with HUM (Human Remains). If available, they would give him an upgrade to World Business Class. He was on a full revenue ticket, so we had to wait for our seats at the gate. In the end Les did get to sit upstairs on the KLM asia 747-400. I also got an upgrade, but Micheline did not. But I let her sit upstairs with Lesley for the flight, while I sat in Economy. It was the least I could do. The flight was smooth, with Lesley and Micheline coming down stairs to chat for a while at one of the doors where there was a snack cart.
When we arrived at Princess Juliana Airport in St. Maarten SXM, the whole Peterson family was there to welcome Lesley. He was amazing in arranging everything in Holland and it was their way to show their appreciation. There were hugs and lots of tears. Micheline went home with her parents and I picked up my rental car and went to the Peterson's family home in Cole Bay. It was sad. Later in the afternoon we went to the funeral home where the family could first view Larissa's body since she passed. I'm not going to get into details, but my heart really broke to see the family... especially her mother. A child should never die before her parents.
Later on I helped out in the house with food and drinks with the people whom were visting to express their sympaties to the family. Then Micheilne and I went home to her house in Point Blanche. I woke up a while ago and had breakfast in the garden. It about 29 degrees. Lesley's Mom asked me to pick up Larissa's Dad from the aiport this afternoon. He is coming from Holland via Paris CDG with Air France. Tomorrow afternoon is the funeral and expect it to be big! The Petersons are well known on the island.
Here is an article released by her school: http://www.sax.nu/tabid/214/vw/1/ItemID/6958/Default.aspx
Gotta go!
It was not planned, but Lesley asked me Friday if I was willing to accompany him to St. Maarten on Sunday. His sister Larissa would be on the same KLM flight. I checked with work and they gave me the off days as long as I catch up as soon as I'm back... meaning working in the weekends.
Lesley already had a ticket that British Airways issued for him on KLM. They do this in the cases of emergecies like a death to a close relative. It's a confirmed seat, but at a special rate. I checked with staff travel and the flight was wide open, so I bought an IPB ticket. I was looking for a hotel in St. Maarten, because Lesley's home would be full with family coming from abroad. I called Micheline (a friend of both Lesley and me) to ask which affordable hotel I could best reserve and she offered for me to stay at her parents house in Point Blanche, which isn't too far from Lesley mother's house in Cole Bay. I know Micheline's parents well from their visits to Holland and my vacations to St. Maarten. Then a thought popped up in my head and I asked Micheline if she wanted to go St. Maarten for 4 days. She would get to go to the funeral and she would get to see her parents. I would pay for her IPB as a thank you for welcoming me in her home. She was surprised and after she checked with her school (she is studying to be a dentist) she agreed to come along. So Sunday morning Lesley, Micheline and I were at Schiphol. At check-in I told the agent that Lesley would be flying along with HUM (Human Remains). If available, they would give him an upgrade to World Business Class. He was on a full revenue ticket, so we had to wait for our seats at the gate. In the end Les did get to sit upstairs on the KLM asia 747-400. I also got an upgrade, but Micheline did not. But I let her sit upstairs with Lesley for the flight, while I sat in Economy. It was the least I could do. The flight was smooth, with Lesley and Micheline coming down stairs to chat for a while at one of the doors where there was a snack cart.
When we arrived at Princess Juliana Airport in St. Maarten SXM, the whole Peterson family was there to welcome Lesley. He was amazing in arranging everything in Holland and it was their way to show their appreciation. There were hugs and lots of tears. Micheline went home with her parents and I picked up my rental car and went to the Peterson's family home in Cole Bay. It was sad. Later in the afternoon we went to the funeral home where the family could first view Larissa's body since she passed. I'm not going to get into details, but my heart really broke to see the family... especially her mother. A child should never die before her parents.
Later on I helped out in the house with food and drinks with the people whom were visting to express their sympaties to the family. Then Micheilne and I went home to her house in Point Blanche. I woke up a while ago and had breakfast in the garden. It about 29 degrees. Lesley's Mom asked me to pick up Larissa's Dad from the aiport this afternoon. He is coming from Holland via Paris CDG with Air France. Tomorrow afternoon is the funeral and expect it to be big! The Petersons are well known on the island.
Here is an article released by her school: http://www.sax.nu/tabid/214/vw/1/ItemID/6958/Default.aspx
Gotta go!
1 Comments:
Sterkte daar.
Rob
Post a Comment
<< Home