Monday, October 12, 2009

AMS --> ATL

It was a very hectic week. Wednesday before work I dropped Jenny and her baby off at Schiphol for their flight to Aruba AUA. Check-in went well and we sat in the restaurant killing some time and talking about her grandmother. I took a few hours off so I could keep her company. In difficult times it doesn't make sense to leave someone on their own. Around 11.00 she went inside and I headed to work. I checked in the FIRDA system at work (Flight Information Royal Dutch Airlines) and she left on time at 13.00. It was really sad. What was even sadder is that her grandmother was going to be buried on Friday... Jenny's birthday. So sad...

Thursday was a regular day at work. As the days go by, the more the DL department is coming together. Delta Technolgies was in Holland to setup the airline systems of Delta (Deltamatic etc.). I have no freaking idea how to work with any of it, so for now we are entering Delta records via KLM's CODECO and Altea. The first group of 8 already are in Atlanta for training and I am in the second group of 10. After us there is another group. After work I had dinner at Lesley's house in Hoofddorp and then headed home.

Friday was kind of hectic at work. I promised you guys a while back, I would explain you all if you were interested... but if you still are, I'll do it another time. The nightmare is distinguishing the flights that are originally Northwest and Delta. Both may have the same paint scheme on the outside, but each have different handling requirements. The reason is quite simple... both airline still operate under 2 different AOC's (Air Operator's Certificate). But because AMS is officially a DL hub it makes it complicated. But it's too much to explain right now. After work I passed by Staff Travel to pick up my ticket to Atlanta.

Saturday was my day with my nephew Milan. I promised Junior I would take him for the whole weekend so Mandy and him could have all the free time. Between him working as a Service Engineer at IHC and her at Unilever, it gets quite difficult to spend some private time together. So I sacrificed myself... well actually I enjoyed it. It wasn't torture or anything :-)
Photobucket

Photobucket
Milan with his mother
Photobucket
Outside with his Hummer
Photobucket

Photobucket
With his car track he got from opa
Photobucket
Hmmm... Danoontje
Photobucket
His laptop from 'oom Ryan'
Photobucket
Milan with opa!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Milan with oom Ryan!

That boy is so cute, I could just eat him! Sunday I spend with Remesh and his kids at his home untill they had to go back to their mother. After that he dropped me home, so I could get packing. I've travelled so much these past 7 years for my job and private, that packing has become second nature to me. I know exactly what I'm going to need for work and for free time, know exactly what I will buy when I'm at the destination and know exactly what to pack in what bag incase a suitcase gets lost on the way. That way I never overpack and travel too heavy. And let's face it... we are talking about ATL here. Where bags get delayed and lost many many times!

Ten of us are going to Atlanta in the morning for training. Each member of the team will specialize in a different aspect within Delta. Training will be given in the following: Products & Services, Airport/Airline Systems, Air Law, IATA/FIATA Air Cargo, Dangerous Goods Regulations, Safety Management Systems, Aviation Security Management & Operations, Advanced Airport Operations, Revenue Accounting & Yield Control and Airline Quality Management. I don't have to know everything mentioned before. Every member of the DL team will get training in Products & Services because we need to know whom we are working for and what DL has to offer. Dangerous Goods Regulations is also a must for everyone. European rules are not the same as American rules. So what applies to KLM, may not apply to DL. My specialty will be Airline Quality Management. If I succesfully complete my training my position will be Junior Quality Control (QC) Supervisor and I will be reporting to the Senior Quality Control Supervisor in Paris and the Global Quality Control Manager in Atlanta. The QC team will consist of 15 people... 8 based in Amstelveen/Amsterdam, 5 in Roissy/Paris and 2 in London (1 at Heathrow and 1 at Gatwick). I myself chose this function, because I like doing audits at airlines and hotels and making sure the level of service excellence is well maintained by the standard set by the airline. I will be auditing the crew hotels for the DL crew, groundhandling companies, catering companies etc. on behalf of DL in Europe. I felt I was perfect for the job, because of my background with Air France Consulting.

So I hope I like the job. If not I'll quit that bitch faster than a New York second. I don't waste my time with stuff I don't like.

I'm already done packing, so now I'll be catching a few zzz's. Tomorrow is quite funny. There is a KLM flight to ATL at 10.20 and a DL flight at 10.30. Bot are with an Airbus A330-200. Our tickets are open, so we can fly on whomever we want. Just because we're working together doesn't mean we have to travel together. We are all staying in the same hotel though. Whomever gives me Business Class tomorrow will see me on the plane. I don't really care if it's KLM or Delta. They both check in at the same desks and leave from the same pier, so it won't be too difficult to switch flights.

Have a great week everyone!

3 Comments:

Anonymous LP said...

Have a nice flight, buddy. If I have the time, I might drop by. Bo mes sa; free hotel room and all ;-)

Les

12.10.09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ry, succes met alles. I'll send you my shopping list. Hahahaha!

Junior

12.10.09  
Blogger Pamela said...

I got your missed call and I know you're already in the air, but good luck in Atlanta and try to have fun besides work. Love, Ma.

Pam

12.10.09  

Post a Comment

<< Home