Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Señores pasajeros...

"... bienvenidos a Lima. Por favor permanezcan sentados hasta que se apague la señal luminosa abróchense los cinturones.... blah, blah, blah... Nos despedimos de ustedes y les agradecemos haber viajado con nosotros. En nombre de la KLM y miembros de SkyTeam, commandante de Vries y su tripulacion, muchas gracias y hasta pronto".

I am back from my Lima LIM trip. It was great, although it was a day shorter than planned. I came back a day earlier, because one of the crew members got sick. So I took her place. I didn't mind... I have something important to do tomorrow and now I can do it well rested. I've been to Peru before on vacation. When I worked in Aruba, we used to get 2 IPB ticket a year from KLM. Most of them I used to come to Holland on vacation, but I also went to Peru. Specifically to see Machu Picchu. My grandmother rented out a house to Peruvian people living in Aruba and I went along with them. Nice country and well worth a visit.

The flight was with a 777 and I wrote before, the whole crew was great. It is a heavy flight to work, because most of the passengers on board are Peruvian expats living in Spain and Italy. So Spanish is the language spoken most on board. Now I am very fluent in Spanish, but most of my colleagues were not. As I wrote once before, most people from Aruba are either tri-lingual or quad-lingual. We grow up speaking English, Papiamento, Dutch and Spanish. So it comes naturally. So most of the times I was helping translate. It's not to put down my Dutch co-workers at all... it is just not necessary to speak Spanish fluently at KLM. Dutch and English are a must, plus one foreign language that can be Italian, German, French, Portuguese, Spanish etc. Most Dutch crew speak French or German. For flight to/from China, Taiwan, and Japan, we have CA's from that country to speak the language. Because the Chinese and Japanese are a mess when it comes to speaking English. Spanish is used on flihts to/from Lima (Peru), Quito & Guayaquil (Ecuador), Mexico City (Mexico) and Barcelona & Madrid (Spain). And of course next season we will also add Panama City (Panama) to that list.

Anyway the flight was uneventfull and just before landing the Senior Purser asked if I would mind doing the welcome announcement. I didn't. It's all written in a manual, so it's easily done. The only thing you have to remember is to start talking, when you're off the active runway onto the taxiway.

The hotel was okay. I didn't participate in the groups activities, because I was busy with my school paper on my laptop. I did eat most of my meals with Henk-Jan, Marcia and David though.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Images of Lima
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
View from the hotel room
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Marcia and a candy sailsman. Really!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Drinks with Marcia in her room

On the flight back, I of course had another crew and although I only saw them in the hotel, they were friendly. Above the Atlantic it was quite turbulent, so we climbed from 35000 ft. to 39000 ft. to avoid most of it, although it remained bumpy. Around 13.30 we landed in Amsterdam.

At home I was speaking to Mom after which I just decided to rest my head on the sofa and watch the news. Well, 2 hours later I woke up. I don't want to go to sleep, because I want to get back into the Dutch rhythm as fast as possible. Robin who came back from Rome FCO this morning after another EUR week called me to eat at his house, but I was like.... hell no! It's cold, I'm tired and I'm not leaving my apartment. You come to my house! He was like... uhm, I don't think so. Lol! So, I just went to www.thuisbezorgd.nl and ordered Chinese Tjap Tjoy. Easy does it.

This weekend I am on "Reserve Thuis". This means that between certain hours, I have to stay home in case crewco calls. I hate that shit, but my RSA planned me in for the last block, so in the morning/afternoon, I can do whatever I want. So Saturday, Sunday and Monday I have to be on standby between 18.00-23.59. One can only hope it's either a 24-hour slip in Newark EWR, New York JFK or Toronto YYZ, instead of a EUR return everyday! Fingers crossed!

Hey! I said to cross your damned fingers!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nou ik ben gisteren terug gekomen uit BON. Van de week had ik ook een shuttle naar GYE/UIO en zag daar de A346 van IB langs de baan. DRAMA! Zag er niet zo best uit. Gelukkig waren er geen gewonden. Coco vetrelde dat de ILS kapot was en dat IB voorlopig niet meer op UIO mag vliegen. Wij kregen veel omboekingen van IB pax, dus we zaten bomvol!

14.11.07  
Blogger Angelo said...

KLM zit de laatste dagen inderdaad errug vol naar UIO. Maar er gaan helaas maar zoveel mensen in een MD11.

Over LIM gesproken, ik heb in de wandelgang gehoord dat de BON stop er weer in komt voor de LIM vluchten. Payload problemen en het feit dat er veel te veel vracht in LIM blijft staan. De LIM lijn van KLM schijnt het goed te doen, yields, cargo, loads etc. Maar dat kotm deels omdat ie nonstop is gegaan natuurlijk. Naast IB zijn we de enige die erop vliegen. De rest moet alles over Amerika.
Maar de vraag is natuurlijk.... wat de zin is van een non-stop als je niet veel vracht kan meenemen.
De SIN laat ook veel vracht staan, maar daar komt zo af en toe of een 747 van KLM Cargo langs.
Daarom is het dat er nog steeds geen nonstop 777s zijn op BKK en CGK

We zullen zien!

Angelo

15.11.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

En andere roddel is dat KLM dan EINDELIJK weer widebodies op TLV gaat inzetten. Nope, geen A330 maar ze willen gelijk over op 777 of 74E. Dit ivm vracht.

Rob

16.11.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home