Time for an update!
Wednesday I arrived back from Beijing PEK in China. I was there for 4 days, because I had to audit the ground handler for KLM over there. It was my 4th visit to the city in 2 years and I never stop being amazed at that city. Especially now that they are preparing for the Olympics! China is a communist country and a master in manipulation... they only let people see, what they want them to see. You can never make a step in China as a tourist, without people knowing where you are. It's weird. I can't even access blogger when I'm there. It simply tells you that Blogger/Blogspot doesn't exist! There are ways to get around it, but why bother?

Approach into Beijing Capital Airport
Before you enter the country, you need a tourist or working visa. On the plane you have to complete the immigration forms. After you arrive everything is thoroughly checked... from the places you say you will be staying, to the phone numbers etc. etc. If you come for business purposes like me, you better explain exactly why and with whom you will be doing business in China. But that being said... the people are so open and friendly and you have ultra modern facilities next to pre-historic sh*t. But for me it's all about the people... China had me at Ni hao!
And of course what is China without shopping for electronics? Well let me tell you... you know me already... I bought the new 3rd generation iPod Nano for Dad, my brother Junior and for myelf. I bought a Samsung S630 digital camera for Mom and a Blackberry PDA for my buddy Darrell, which he asked for. The problem isn't buying the stuff... that's easy and cheap. The problem is getting them through Schiphol Customs without getting caught! You can get a heavy fine for bringing in that much electronics! But again... it was easy as ABC.

China border control

Clock that counts down to the start of the Olympics at Tian'anmen Square

Shopping at Wangfujing for electronics

Samsung S630 red for Mom



iPod Nano of 8GB. Better to travel with than the iPod Video I have that I got from R. last Christmas
Dad's birthday was on Tuesday (47), but unfortunatly I missed it. But he was happy with his iPod. He had a little family get-together at the house, which seemed fun. Wish I was there!

Dad & Junior

Mom & Junior

Junior's girlfriend Mandy was also game

So were Lesley and his sister Larissa
Dad also got a tattoo on his leg. You may remember that about 3 years ago he got into an accident on his job, which caused him to be in the hospital for almost 6 weeks. It was a tragic time in which he almost lost his foot. Fortunately he healed 100%! Except for the scars that were visible. But a tattoo large enough could hide that. So he went to Tattoo Bob in Rotterdam and got a tattoo. It cost more than 1500 Euro's, but he was extremely happy with it. He wanted to get it done, before he headed to Aruba for Christmas, so he could walk around in shorts and K-Swiss sneakers! Dad thinks he's young...

Dad in the hospital in 2004


Tattoo
Robbedoes is enjoying a vacation in... you guessed it... in Surinam. Lisette his best friend is expecting her first child, so he went to check out her belly. His cousin Thomas (my financial guy) was also there at the same time. Thomas has his own business in Holland as well as Surinam. R. is aways begging me to go with him, but the timing is never right. But 'no spang'... of course I have to visit 'switi Sranan' and drink a cold 'biri' in Paramaribo.

Brian, Thomas, Robin and Patrick at home in Nickerie in Surinam
Someone asked me if I miss AFC. The answer is a loud and resounding 'no'. I had good times and sweet memories and of course I miss my ex-colleagues, but no... AFC I don't miss. I picked up my stuff and started a new chapter of my life. As they say in Dutch... 'ik ga door'. I'm moving on...

Approach into Beijing Capital Airport
Before you enter the country, you need a tourist or working visa. On the plane you have to complete the immigration forms. After you arrive everything is thoroughly checked... from the places you say you will be staying, to the phone numbers etc. etc. If you come for business purposes like me, you better explain exactly why and with whom you will be doing business in China. But that being said... the people are so open and friendly and you have ultra modern facilities next to pre-historic sh*t. But for me it's all about the people... China had me at Ni hao!
And of course what is China without shopping for electronics? Well let me tell you... you know me already... I bought the new 3rd generation iPod Nano for Dad, my brother Junior and for myelf. I bought a Samsung S630 digital camera for Mom and a Blackberry PDA for my buddy Darrell, which he asked for. The problem isn't buying the stuff... that's easy and cheap. The problem is getting them through Schiphol Customs without getting caught! You can get a heavy fine for bringing in that much electronics! But again... it was easy as ABC.

China border control

Clock that counts down to the start of the Olympics at Tian'anmen Square

Shopping at Wangfujing for electronics

Samsung S630 red for Mom



iPod Nano of 8GB. Better to travel with than the iPod Video I have that I got from R. last Christmas
Dad's birthday was on Tuesday (47), but unfortunatly I missed it. But he was happy with his iPod. He had a little family get-together at the house, which seemed fun. Wish I was there!

Dad & Junior

Mom & Junior

Junior's girlfriend Mandy was also game

So were Lesley and his sister Larissa
Dad also got a tattoo on his leg. You may remember that about 3 years ago he got into an accident on his job, which caused him to be in the hospital for almost 6 weeks. It was a tragic time in which he almost lost his foot. Fortunately he healed 100%! Except for the scars that were visible. But a tattoo large enough could hide that. So he went to Tattoo Bob in Rotterdam and got a tattoo. It cost more than 1500 Euro's, but he was extremely happy with it. He wanted to get it done, before he headed to Aruba for Christmas, so he could walk around in shorts and K-Swiss sneakers! Dad thinks he's young...

Dad in the hospital in 2004


Tattoo
Robbedoes is enjoying a vacation in... you guessed it... in Surinam. Lisette his best friend is expecting her first child, so he went to check out her belly. His cousin Thomas (my financial guy) was also there at the same time. Thomas has his own business in Holland as well as Surinam. R. is aways begging me to go with him, but the timing is never right. But 'no spang'... of course I have to visit 'switi Sranan' and drink a cold 'biri' in Paramaribo.

Brian, Thomas, Robin and Patrick at home in Nickerie in Surinam
Someone asked me if I miss AFC. The answer is a loud and resounding 'no'. I had good times and sweet memories and of course I miss my ex-colleagues, but no... AFC I don't miss. I picked up my stuff and started a new chapter of my life. As they say in Dutch... 'ik ga door'. I'm moving on...
3 Comments:
Ik vind die iPod schattig. Ik heb die oude Nano nog. Hoeveel heb je ervoor betaald in PEK? Ik heb over 2 weken een 48 uur stop in PVG. ALs de prijzen redelijk zijn koop ik wel één of twee. Of misschien drie... vier... vif... :-) Ach, het is bijna kerst!
Floris
Heeey FWB. Hoe gaat ie daar in Den Haag? De nieuwe Nano's kosten in PEK eigenlijk 750 Chinese Yuan Renminbi. Omgerekend naar Amerikaanse Dollars is dat +/- US$ 99,-. Naar Euro's is dat ongeveer € 70,-. Maar doordat ik 3 iPods, de Blackberry and de camera voor ma allemaal in dezelfde winkel heb gekocht heb ik afgedongen. Je weet hoe het daar aan toe gaat. Ik kreeg de Nano's voor 700 Yuan Renminbi per stuk en dat is omgerekend 65 Euro. Aangezien de Nano's van 8GB in NL voor niet minder dan 199,- gaan, heb ik eigenlijk 3 voor de prijs van één gekregen. Ook moet je de zwakke dollar bedanken... :-)
Succes!
Biri? Switi Sranan? No spang? Lol! Je kent je Sranantango hè!
Alles goed? Ik bel je wel vban de week. Zit momenteel in LOS.
Fara
Post a Comment
<< Home