Monday, May 22, 2006

São Paulo was great!

... Not! I was to go to São Paulo GRU, unfortunately when I was on the train heading to Schiphol, staffco called and informed me that I was being pulled off the flight and put on another one. Apparently one of the other consultants from the other team forgot his passport at home and while he headed back to pick it up, he would not make it on the flight. So as a solution, they switched us. He would be heading to sunny GRU, while I had to go to Chengdu CTU in China. Oh well...

Yes, I was dissapointed and amifted, because I was so looking forward to heading to GRU. Don't get me wrong... I love Asia. I love China. But the city of Chengdu was not on my wish list. Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Xi'an... a-okay. But not Chendu. But it was a short trip to evaluate the KLM crew hotel.

The flight was alright. The hotel (not the crew hotel) was also nice. But some of the sh!t you see on the streets are the height of nastiness! This is the part of China where they eat snakes, cats, dogs etc. Seriously! While passing a butcher, I was totally grossed out to see dog and cat meat for sale! I went into a restaurant with the Senior Purser and the CoCo (that's what we call the 2nd officer) and I completely lost my appetite. The waitress told us that they also served dog and cat meat if we wish. Uhm, let me think... HELL NO! The captain and the CoCo went ahead and ordered beef, but I just ate a salad. I didn't thrust anything anymore. I was gagging the whole time and I even threw up in my mouth once. Anyone who ever had that, knows that that sh!t is gross!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
What the hell is this?! Fast food on the streets of Chengdu
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Dog meat platter in the restaurant I ate

Let me tell you... and I'm not kidding... for the 48 hours I was there, I followed the Golden Arches recognized anywhere in the world and ate a delicious Big Mac.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Golden Arches
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
McMeal

China is a huge country and not all over is western. But I can safely say that Chendu is not a place I need to return to very fast. That being said... if I did, I would lose so much weight fast! It would be the best diet ever!

And you better believe on the flight back yesterday, that I was cursing out that Consultant that forgot his passport. If there is ever a time that I have to head to CTU again, I think I will also 'forget' my passport. Hahahaha! Just kidding! Well actually, no I am not.