Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Tragedy in my family

My great-aunt (grandmother's sister) died Sunday afternoon in Aruba. I can't believe it! I saw her last on Thursday! The whole family is in total shock, because of the way it happened.

You see, my great-aunt, Tante Mary, (real name is Maria)... went to the movies with her daughter Deborah (Debby) and her granddaughter Catherine (Cathy) to watch Shrek 3. On the way back home Deborah was feeling really tired. I guess it really got to her, because she swirved to the wrong side of the road and hit straight into a pick-up. Debby had her seatbelt on and suffered whiplash and cuts in her chest and belly from the seatbelt. Cathy was in the backseat and she was propelled forward and hit her head in the windshield and damaged her leg. Tante Mary did not have her seatbelt on and hit into the windshield and fell into Debby's lap. There she died. My whole family is devestated.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tante Mary, Debby and Cathy

Yesterday I was running up and down like carzy to get tickets to Aruba for my Mom and Tante Mary's son Carlos who is living here in Holland in Dordrecht. After pulling a few strings, I got my Mom on Arkefly on Friday to Aruba and Carlos is leaving tomorrow on Martinair to CuraƧao, where he will overnight and then continue to Aruba on Thursday. It was unbelievable hard, because it is high season and flights are overbooked. I still have to figure out how I am going, but I'll have to wait and see when the funeral is. I have only 3 vacation days left, so I am going strictly for the funeral. For these cases both KLM and Air France have something like an 'emergency IPB', where I have top priority to get on board. I even am allowed to request a flight to Aruba as a Cabin Attendant and go to AUA working a flight.

For those who read and speak papiamento, here is the newspaper article that came out yesterday in Aruba in
Diario Aruba. WARNING: The pictures can be very graphic and disturbing to some people. You can see Debby still in the small white car.

Tante Mary... you will be missed.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Maria Emilia Arrow 1935-2007

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tragisch. Gecondoleerd en veel sterkte.

Lies

10.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sincere condolences to you and your family Ryan.

Arnie
USA

10.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exept my simpathy RYAN, SHE WAS INDEED A VERY LOVELY LADY. I REMEMBER I USED TO ALWAYS SEE HER WITH CATHY WALKING IN THE VILLAGE SO LOVELY. WHEN THEY LIVED NEXT TO CHINA CLUB.

10.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dit is tragisch. Gecondoleerd en sterkte, Ryan.

Miekesch

10.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Accept my sympathy in these trying times.

Kyle & Susan

10.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this. Good luck.

10.7.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home