Friday, July 20, 2007

Sometimes good things come to an end

The time is coming closer to say goodbye to Air France Consulting... simply known as AFC. As the date comes closer and closer, it's get harder and harder. It's like your leaving your family behind. It carries me back to almost 7 years ago, when I left Aruba to return back to Holland. Sigh...

Some AFC'ers have already left to pursue other endevours. For insatnce the 2 amazing women I worked with for several years in Team #3 (Asia Specialist) have already said goodbye. Brenda decided to leave the company and the country and moved to Canada with her husband where they will start their own Bed & Breakfast in Calgary. She got a good bit of money from AFC, which she will make good use of.

Grietje also said goodbye to the Air France-KLM Group and joined with the British-Dutch company called Unilever in Rotterdam. They are the owners of the brands like Magnum Ice creams, Knorr, Blue Band, Unox, Dove, Lipton and Bertolli. They are also the one who create the foods for KLM and many other airlines in the world for passengers and crew. So Grietje is now Brand Manager Inflight Services with Unilever in Rotterdam and London. These 2 women thought me everything I know of the business, encouraged me to grow and gave me many opportunities to prove myself. That's how I made it to Lead Consultant. I'm thankful for everything they did. Always and forever. Although there are 6 people in each team, we were the Field Agents... meaning we did the practical work abroad, while the others supported us from the office. The 3 of us had good times in places like Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei, Osaka, Ho Chi Minh City, New York City, Atlanta, Singapore, Bangkok and many more place in Asia and other places in the world. I wish both of them luck and hopefully we'll keep in touch.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Grietje, Ryan and Brenda in Bendar Sewi Begawan, Brunei
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Grietje & Ryan at Helsinki's Vantaa Airport in Finland
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Brenda & Ryan

And I can not forget to mention the 3 Consulatnts that supported us from the offices in Rijswijk, Amstelveen and Paris. We didn't travel much together, but together we formed a team. A team that won AFC Team of the Year twice in a row! Winfred (Freddy), who was always smiling and never was without his laptop. Freddy left the company and now works for PriceWaterhouseCooper as an Business Consultant. Succes gozer!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Freddy and his girlfriend. We call her Dell!

Then there is Lieke and Marcel. Lieke stayed within the AF-KLM Group and took a job as a RSA (RoStering Agents) at KLM Control & Planning (crewco). Marcel left the company and now works as a Business Analyst at a Travel Management Company called Carlson Wagonlit. You guys were both great and we couldn't have done it without you.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Lieke & Marcel

Dennis also decided to leave the company. He now works in the steel business for a company called Corus as an Assistant to the Sales Manager. So he will be travelling a lot and he's happy where he is. Dennis and I are friends outside of work, so we'll be continuing to see a lot of each other. We also had good times... as well as some bad ones. Once we were sent on a audit of 3 hotels for a tour operator in Surabaya on the island of Java in Indonesia. We were hungry and ate shrimps from a food stand on the road and we both ended up with food poisoning! It was horrible! It was a competition in vomiting and pooping! Gross! We still laugh about it... well now we do.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Dennis & Ryan
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Dennis & Ryan during our Round The World Trip last December

Now I know what is going through your mind. What is Ryan going to do? Am I staying within AF-KLM or am I leaving the company? Well, the people closest to me already know, but I am keeping my mouth shut until I sign the contract. What I can tell you is that I turned down Flight Watch for KLM Cityhopper, the job as Teamleider at KLM Ground Services and the job at KLM Inflight Services. The reason is that I see it as a step backwards. I started in aviation behind a check-in counter, running up and down in airports at Queen Beatrix in Aruba, Schiphol in Amsterdam and Zestienhoven in Rotterdam. I've been there, done that and now I am over it. Ground Services in AMS has let me down too many times. That's why I left. So I am not going back there... 3-bander or not. As for the fuction at KLM Inflight Services (Vliegdienst) as an Assistant-Purser... no way! That would've have been my last choice! It's R's passion to fly, but not mine. Doing it part-time is fine by me.
Talking about flying; I'm happy to report that with the new CAO, KLM has agreed that everyone who flies 80-100% can voluntarily choose a 4th aircraft type as the 'wisselkist'. Before, everyone was a Cabin Attendant on the 737 and 747 and with the choice of either the MD11 or A330 as the 'wisselkist'. If as an 1-bander you had achieved enough seniority, you could change one of those for the 777. Now the rule is the same, but if you wanted a 4th type you could get it. So you can now have 2 'wisselkisten'. But on the 777 seniority will still apply. So R. wants to go on the 777, but he has to check about the seniority. Also an 1-bander can now become 4-bander without going through all the steps. If you are qualified for the position and there is a place open, then you can apply. So a CA can now go from 1-bander to 3- or 4-bander. As a part-timer the 'wisselkist' does not apply or if you are an European CA. But all CA's that fly 25-75%, will have to drop an long-haul aircraft type and they are obligated to fly European. So I'll have to drop either the MD11 or 777. I haven't made my decision yet.

Back to me; I like the business aspect of aviation. AFC thought me that. The behind-the-scenes sh*t is what I like! And if I can combine that with a job that includes some travel, I am a happy person.

In the meantime we are transferring our projects to AFC Brussels like crazy. By July 23rd, all travel from AFC Holland will seize completely and our access to AF-Net will be cancelled. Our AF ID acrd will no longer be able to open doors and access certain computer systems. So everything we do from that point on is with permission of the Unit Manager from Brussels who will be in Holland and security guards will give us access to the buidling in Amstelveen. This is all for safety and security reasons. But I get to keep my Samsonite suitcases! Yes... the time to say goodbye is coming close. None of us are going to work the same jobs again. Everyone has something else... some within AF or KLM, some outside of AF and KLM but sill within aviation or consulting and others are going to do something completely different. It is not easy saying goodbye to people you've come to know over the years. But we all decided to make the last few weeks a blast!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Metin & me. Metin is our Office Manager. He will continue with AFC in Brussels and will be moving to Belgium with his family
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Marlon our IT Specialist. Whenever your PC or laptop is down or anything is wrong with it, he's the guy to call. He can log-in from anywhere in the world and get into our laptops to fix what we damaged. And even in private, he has helped me a million times! Marlon will continue with SITA Airport Systems as an IT Specilaist at Amsterdam Schiphol, Rotterdam Zestienhoven, Eindhoven Welschap, Groningen Eelde and Maastricht Aachen. So he´ll be all over the place. Thanks for everything Marlon!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Crazy Dennis
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Chief of Staff Henk. He was my mentor and a real cool guy! Henk will join Nederlandse Spoorwegen in Utrecht
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My Unit Manager Ricardo. We had good times and bad times and were often arguing, but he was always fair and could admit when he was wrong. I have more difficulty doing that. Ricardo will join the largest Airline Representation Group in the world called AviaReps. They are from Germany, but have an office located in Schiphol-Rijk.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Director of Operations Rob. Always with a big smile. He's crazy about cars and will be starting his owm garage in Ypenburg. Good luck with everything Rob!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Rodney our Translator and South- and Middle America Specialist. He speaks Dutch, Spanish, French, German, Manadrin, Cantonese, Japanese and Portuguese. I don't know how he does it! This Suriname guy is returning back to Suriname, where he will work for Martinair. He always talked about going back and with the money he is getting, he will build a house and start a new life in Paramaribo. So Rodney... have a great time in "yu kondre. Yu sweety Sranan".
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Raymond. One of the smartest people I know. He is an ex-Marinier who was stationed in Aruba and Curaçao and speaks fluent Papiamento. And although he has the looks going for him, he is also very intelligent. I am glad I can call him my friend. He left AFC and will join TUI Nederland in their Sales department for Arke Reizen and Arkefly. Thanks for everything Raymond!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Henk and Raymond
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Me with in the background Henk and Rob
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Raymond, Henk & Rob
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Raynond, Ryan, Henk & Rob
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Henk & me
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Raymond & me

And so we wait for the end to come...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I feel with you buddy. Leaving a job you don't like is easy, leaving one that yo enjoyed is indeed hard.

Les

20.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vuile vieze kl00tz@k! Toen je me vroeg of je een foto van mij op je blog mocht plaatsen, had ik niet gedacht dat het die zou zijn! Moest je nu persé die foto met je tong in mijn oor plaatsen!? Hehehehehe :-D

Ik heb ook heel prettig samengewerkt en zal altijd met veel lol aan AFC Holland terug denken. Als in Brussel het 50% zo leuk zal zijn als bij ons toen wij in Rijswijk zaten, zal het allemaal goed komen.

Metin Yilmazer

20.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

De heer Mitchell... toen ik werd geïnformeerd dat er een jonge knul van 23/24 bij mij in de team zou komen had ik mijn twijfels, maar je was leergierig en een snelle leerling. Dus ik heb met veel plezier met je gewerkt. En wat een rare groepje vormden wij... een jonge dame, een oudere dame en een zwarte knul. Hoeveel keer werden jij en Brenda niet gevraagd of jullie een koppel waren? En ik de moeder?! {BOOS!}.

Maar we waren een hechte team, samen met de andere drie. Een dieptepunt voor mij was toen je vorig jaar juni die auto ongeluk kreeg met Winston. Dat waren zware tijden voor heel de AFC familie om zo'n jongman zo vroeg kwijt te raken. Maar je bent er bovenop gekomen en je ging door.

Ik weet niet wat je hierna gaat doen, maar ik weet zeker dat je 100% van jezelf gaat geven. Dus veel succes. Ik heb her in ieder geval naar mijn zin bij Unilever.

En ik weet dat je dichtbij Weena woont, dus als je een keer in de buurt bent, kom een keer langs. Kunnen we lunchen en bijpraten.

Het ga je goed, Ry!

Grietje

20.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice piece and very sad, that things are ending. Will you keep on blogging at your new job?

20.7.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo mijn Arubaanse vriendje! Bedankt voor je mail en bedankt voor de mooie woorden in je post. Ik heb het al persoonlijk tegen je gezegd, maar ik zeg het nog eenkeer; ik heb heel veel van onze samenwerking genoten. Ik heb heel veel met je gelachen en frustraties gedeeld. Het waren mooie tijden bij AFC. Maar het einde is nabij. Deuren gaan dicht en nieuwe zullen open gaan.

En howel ik in Canada zal wonen en een nieuwe leven ga beginnen, wil ik dat je af en toe aan me denkt.

Ik ben blij dat ik je 'vriend' kan noemen.

Succces met alles en hou me op de hoogte van je avonturen. Ik zal in ieder geval je weblog blijven lezen.

Hugs & kisses,

Brenda

20.7.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home