Friday, July 13, 2007

Mom & Junior are off to Aruba

This week was a difficult one. As you know my great-aunt died in Aruba, so my family there is busy making the arrangements for the funeral that will take place on Monday. As you can imagine it is a very difficult thing to do. The son she had living in Holland was Carlos and he left on Wednesday on Martinair to Curaçao CUR and after an overnight he continued to Aruba AUA arriving on Thursday. He was the strong one and he is the one that took care of business. There always has to be one that remains strong in these cases.

Today I accompanied my Mom and my brother Junior to Schiphol. I took the car, because R. was arriving from Paramaribo PBM, so I could kill to birds with one stone by dropping off Mom and Junior and picking-up R. But... it didn't go as planned. KLM 714 from PBM was delayed as well as TUI Airlines (Arkefly) 361. So R. came in and talked to Mom and Junior for a while, before heading home by train. You see the PBM flight is a very tiring flight, so I know my boy needed his sleep. I stayed with Mom and Junior drinking coffee at Panorama Café. It has to be noted that the check-in at Arkefly was a mess. If I recall correctly it is Menzies who does the handling but everything was a chaos. Junior was flying with KLM, so he checked-in at home via the internet and just had to drop his bag off at the DOP (Drop-Off Point). Easy as ABC...

Anyway my Mom's flight was delayed from 11.20 to 13.05. Eventually it left 14.00. Junior left 20 minutes later. There planes were parked next to each other! I know, because I went outside on the deck to see the planes leave. Mom was parked at E4 and Jun at E6. I had a clear view of everything.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My Mom's plane and in the back Junior's plane

Mom called me from inside the aircraft and told me she got Comfort Class from the crew. They were aware she was going for a death in the family. Thanks to my buddy Anthony (Tonny) at Arkefly for the favor.

Anyway I decided to buy myself lunch there and watch the flights leave. I even filmed it. Sorry for the poor quality, but the video was taken with my gsm phone.


20 minutes after Mom left, Junior's flight also departed to Aruba via St. Maarten SXM.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
KL 765

I was checking on what time they were arriving to call my aunt to let her know what time she had to pick Mom up at the airport and I noticed they were arriving 3 hours apart.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
(http://www.airportaruba.com/en/flightinfo/arrivals/) - Click to enlarge


Tomorrow Dad and I are flying to Aruba via Curaçao. I went ahead and paid a full ticket. All of us did. It's a dent in the wallet, but hey... it's all for 'la familia'.