Choices and more choices
I was tense, because I wanted to know what my future would look like if left up to Air France. The thing is that my Director of Operations wants me to stay with AFC and work out of Belgium. He offered me a higher salary and a promise for promotion with the next 2 years. But I told him to forget about that. I won't consider that option.
He wasn't happy to say the least, but he accepted and respected my decision. Then they explained to me what my options could be and what the consequenses are. Because I was now a Lead Consultant it meant that I have a 'leidinggevende functie' like you say in Dutch. My main tasks comprised of planning, organizing, leading, coordinating and controlling a group of people to accomplishing a goal. I was trained by AF for this and had to go through an assesment test before I could get the position. I had to improve on my peoples skills, customer care and work ethic and had to do a course in management skills and a course in Aviation Law by IATA. It may sound like a lot, but it's quite easy and your AF coach helps you along the way.
Anyway, because I had a leadership position, they would have to give me something similar. After consulting with all of their departments and looking at my background and schooling, they came up with the following options:
- Flightwatch KLM Cityhopper/KLM Cityhopper UK at Schiphol. Flightwatch reports to the Head of Operations Control, and directly to the Fleet Controller/Duty Manager for KLC. In Flightwatch you do pro-active directing of and making corrections to the KLC flying programme and Ground Handling process. This is achieved by effective communication with all concerned KLC and Service Providers in order to avoid, or at least minimise any disturbances.
- Teamleider KLM Ground Services for SPL/PH. Because of the height of my salary I would immediately have to become a 'driebander' (3 stripes on my sleeve) to earn a similar salary. They coordinate an entire check-in and/or gate team for KLM, Air France, Northwest and partners.
- A Purser or Assistant Purser for KLM Inflight Services (vliegdienst). Let me explain: A Purser has 4 stripes and an Assistant Purser has 3. Both positions assists the Senior Purser (also 4 stripes) on airplanes and mainly are responsible for administrative work on board. So both the Senior Purser and Purser have 4 stripes... just to be clear. It would be my choice which one I would want as the salary for both the Assistant Purser and Purser are exactly the same.
- Training Consultant in KLM Consulting & Support. I would be a trainer for KLM Commercial Organization. My job would be developing marketing strategies and the sale of KLM passenger products. I would be training and coordinating in several departments like Sales Areas, Marketing & Services, E-business & Services, Revenue and Management & Pricing. All training, development and coaching for Commercial Organization are done from the KLM Business Campus with a team of 29 people.
So, what do you think? At this moment I am confused about what I would want and I am not sure if i even want to stay at Air France-KLM. Maybe it's time to try something else? I need time to clear my mind and think. In the end I'll have to chose something that makes me happy.
But before a concrete decision can be made on my part everything has to be approved by the OR (Ondernemingsraad) and KLM's President & CEO. The others got similar offers as far as I heard. I didn't stay to hear it all. It was a day of stress and emotions for some people, and I didn't want to be part of it. Right now I am holding up well and not feeling anything much. Maybe it will come later. Who can say? I know my co-worker and pal Raymond was a mess. So was Brenda. Yesterday they seemed fine, but today...
Oh, before I forget to answer some blog readers question from yesterday via the comments and email.... yes Pikaboo, we just moved to a new office building in Amstelveen. Before we were at Rijswijk. But the offices are leased, so that's not a problem. And Anja... no... no one from AFC will be fired. Just relocated.
Anyway, I'm off to bed. It's late and I'm sleepy.
8 Comments:
De OR zal er geen probleem van maken en Leo van Wijk ook niet, dus dat komt wel goed.
Natasha van den Berg
Nee, Natasha, Leo van Wijk is geen KLM President en CEO meer. Dat is nu Peter Hartman. Leo is naar AF-KL and is de bestuursvoorzitter van SkyTeam.
Sander
Wat een gedoe. Je moet echter je emoties niet inhouden Ry. da's niet goed voor je. Laat alles eruit komen!
K I M
Well ga voor purser 4 bander, dan kan je tenminste reizen plannen met Robin dan hebben jullie samen reisverlof.
En dan ben je toch aan het vliegen je vindt dat toch zo leuk om naar Azie te gaan!!!
Teamleader at spl/ph klinkt ook goed.
Maar dat cityhopper dinges nee man doe dat niet...
bruya
Weet je wat het is , Ryan. Ik snap dat ze je een vergelijkbare functie moeten geven en het liefst een leidinggevende functie, maar er zitten wel nadelen aan. Je leeftijd is de grootste. Je bent wat? 27/28? Teamleiders bij PH zitten meestal dik in de 30, bijna 40. en P's en AP's zijn ook rond die leeftijd, want er gaan flink wat jaren tussenin zitten van CA, CA WBC, AP en P. Tegen de tijd dat je SP bent ben je bekant in de graf! Wat ik hiermee probeer te zeggen is dat men (lees: collega's) jou niet serieus zullen nemen als TL'er, AP of P, want je bent niet via de normale weg opgeklommen, je komt er eigenlijk net bij kijken (bijv. van uitzendkracht CA, naar P.) en je bent soms jonger dan éénbanders en tweebanders.
Je moet natuurlijk doen wat jou het beste lijkt, maar het zal niet makkelijk zijn. Ik vlieg al 12 jaar en ik weet wat de mentaliteit aan boord soms is.
Lies
RRM! I concur with what Lies has said above. But that being said, remember when KLM stopped flying with the 747-300 a few years back? In de cockpit there was space for 3 persons. The CPT, the Co and the BWK. But the flightcrew were all going to transfer to the 747-400. The -400 only has the CPT and Co and a Co co. The BWK became unnecessary. Remember BWK are not pilots, but Engeineers. So KLM had to give the a position within the company with a similar or higher salary. 90% became instant Senior Pursers and 10% left the company with a bulk of money. Some people within Inflight Services were pissed, because these BWK never picked up a coffee can in there life and now they were telling them what to do? It was a difficult situation for them in the beginning.
CM.
Ryan, doe gewoon wat jou gelukkig zal maken, ongeacht funktie, salaris etc. Als je plezier in je baan hebt, ga je ook met plezier naar je werk gaan en doe je ook je best.
Gerard
Blij je vandaag gesproken te hebben. Succes en veel plezier in Shaghai.
Marcel
Post a Comment
<< Home