Wednesday, May 02, 2007

There are 7 deadly sins...

What are they? Luxuria, Gula, Avaritia, Acedia, Ira, Superbia and Invidia. In everyday life we know them as Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Pride and Envy.

Let's talk about envy. I hear that people sometimes envy me for the life I have. That is something I will never understand. I'm just an ordinary 28 year old guy, with a normal life. I have my ups- and downs like everybody else. I have moments of hope, despair, sadness, happiness... I cry like everybody else, I bleed like any other human being. Sometimes I believe in myself almost as much as I doubt. I write a lot of my life on this blog, but not everything. At the end of the day some things have to remain private, as you can understand. I live by my motto "forever have a good time". I work hard and play hard. But it isn't all fun and games, and airports, and hotels and private car services etc. There is a side that some of you may not be aware of. I had to sacrifice a lot when I started this job.

People have no idea what it's like to have to be available for the job 24 hours a day! Having to walk with around with 3 phones, a laptop, and a PDA wherever you go! One moment you are lying on your bed in Dordrecht, the next you are in a suite in Dar-es-Salaam. It's a very unpredictable life. Appointments can never be made too far in advance, many times I have to cancel with my friends, I miss parties, bithdays and holidays. You can't imagine what it feels like when you are in a hotel in Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso, while there is a big smashing party going on for your boyfriend's birthday in Rotterdam. Or what about when you are sick with the flu in Seoul. When really all you want is the loving touch of your Mommy or partner, but all you can do is drag your sick self out of bed, find the nearest drugstore, stuff yourself with medication, because the next day you have a meeting, flu or no flu? Or being on a trip with someone you just can't get along with for whatever reason. All you can do is be professional and hope for the trip to be over as soon as possible. And there are so much more examples. My luck is that I have very understanding friends, family and partner. You make the best out of the situation at hand. At the end of the day, I did chose for this work afterall. Of course there are more upsides and downsides.

I guess what I am trying to say is that what you see, isn't always what you get. And be happy with whatever you have. Because you can envy someone for what you think they have, but really you have no idea what hides underneath. I believe that life is a journey. One that is much better traveled with a companion or companions by your side. They can be just about anyone. A neighbor on the other side of the street or the person on the other side of the bed. An irritating co-worker or a demanding boss. They can be parents with the best intentions, a child who's up to no good or a brother who will do just about anything for you. Still, despite our best intentions, some of us will end up travelling alone for a while. And during those times the journey sometimes becomes unbearable. The lesson I've learned with all my travels, meeting all those different people, experiencing all those different cultures and hearing all their different stories is that human beings are strong people. And although we may look different on the outside, we are very similar on the inside. But the biggest lesson of all is that human beings are designed for many things, but loneliness isn't one of them...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh i so so love this post, very nice peace Ryan.

Damn i just love this blog... There is no other blog like this one damn..

Anyways as i said, reading this blog has become my everyday thing. It's only sometimes he keeps us hanging like some dogs waitin on a post hihihi (MAD)

Now Ryan so far so good my training at Menzies is going well, my first test of airport codes i got a 8.9 and today we had another test abouth where the lounges are situated at schiphol, how much piers we have, where is the cash refund for pax situated, who are allowed to get a nood paspoort, by who we should go and get it, and where is the office situated Goh, makkie makkie was dat :P
explanation of the schengen and not schengen Gate procedures, man man that is headache. especially when the flight comes from a schengen and leave to a non-schengen country or visa versa, ik heb geen moer begrepen maar heb toch voldoende gekregen. I only understand that some kind of door blocks the gates from each other and something abouth a trap naar boven bla bla bla. Anyways i got a 7.5 for the test i made Today, not so good I WANT HIGHER THAN AN 8. (SAD)

Now we are busy with check-in, limited release, FOI, LOUNGE CARDS, BOARDING PASS, BAG TAGS ETC ETC

Had to add this, our instructors are so so cool, I just love them Marriette en Linda of Menzies. Wow they really do their jobs good...

I just love them,

Anyways am off to bed, tomorrow again 9 to 5

Sleep tight peeps

Pikaboo

2.5.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great piece Ryan and so true!

@ Pikaboo: It is so strange to read about this. I went through the same sh!t at KLM and at Servisair. It may seem like tons of things to take in, but all-in-all you learn as you do it.

Schengen/non-schengen... is easy as ABC. Sometimes its complicated because at the D-pier they have double gate numbers, but after a while it's a piece of cake. That is the minor part of being a Service Agent. The headache starts when people start screaming and yelling at you and when they say the words each SA and GA has heard during their carreer... "I will never fly this airline again!".

Suc6!

Lesley

2.5.07  
Blogger Pamela said...

I like this son. Sleep well!

Pamela

2.5.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, we all heard that one sentence. I am glad that I don't work there full-time anymore. Pfff!

Rob

3.5.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well at Menzies they took of service agents, we have been told in the lessons. Ik word nu opgeleid tot all-around-agent
so we do gate, aviobridge, transferbalie, check-in, SSR service, lost and found. Maar ik moet gaan slapen jullie komen online te laat doei doei ik moet morgen vroeg opstaan doei...

Mevr. Pamela I am still waitin on my shine??? (sad)

Hey scooby boo wuzz up??? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Pancake robin oftewel pizza

Bugs bunny Ryan hahahahahahahahah

LOL

3.5.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ik bedoelde

scooby doo Lesley

pancake Robin

Bugs bunny Ryan

hahahaha

3.5.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pancake?! Lol!

Lies

3.5.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post and true words.

Micheline

3.5.07  
Blogger Traveller said...

So I am Bugs Bunny?! hat's up, doc? Ha, ha, ha! Just a minute! Are you making fun of my big teeth????????

Lol! Just kidding. I can make fun of myself and take a joke.

Ryan

3.5.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home