Saturday, April 28, 2007

4 words:

Blogging: I started this blog in September 2005, when I joined AFC. It was called "Flying High... with both feet on the ground". At the time I was also a forum moderator on ATCbox.com. The creator of ATCbox.com Daan de Meester... also known as Captain Didimon (DDM), suggested I start a weblog because I would be travelling a lot. It was a good way to keep your friends and family updated on what you were doing and where you were. He even suggested I link it with ATCbox, but I declined. It was something private and not public. So Daan showed me how to work with HTML codes, how to use Photobucket and how to create a nice looking blog page. And so I started.

Slowly but surely more and more people started visiting my weblog. They were searching for something on Yahoo!, MSN Search, Lycos or Google and they came across my page. I started getting lots of emails, MSN friends and more comments. People from Holland, but also from Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire, USA, Canada, Mexico, UK, Australia, Norway, Denmark and many more countries! It was nice and I re-designed my page and really did my best to put on some good post, that I think people will enjoy.

Blogging isn't easy... I always have to be walking with a camera, have to ask permission to use someone else's picture or ask if someone minds that their face appears on my blog. I travelled the world and a lot of things don't impress me anymore, but I still took the time and effort to take the pictures for my blog. I spent loads of time and money in internet cafés and hotel business centers trying to post a blog in a foreign country. I brought you into my parents home, my grandparents home in Aruba, my home, Robin's home, my friends home... I gave everyone access to a lot of personal stuff, I took you with me to my job, on my vacations and with my friends. I introduced you to my boyfriend, parents, brother, nephew, best friends, buddies, cousin, grandparents, aunts, uncles and more. After I got my accident, I got so much encouraging words from people that I didn't even know!

Blogging is a hobby nothing more, so I believe it should remain fun. Robin told me countless times... "Ryan, als je het niet leuk vind, stop er gewoon mee". (Stop, if you don't find it fun anymore). Everyone has a opinion... I get that. Even if it is a negative one, I don't mind. I'm not going to get mad. But what I can't stand is when someone is just plain out insulting. To me or my friends and family. That I won't tolerate. I'm too old for that shit. I had great times as well. Lots of funny emails from readers and funny comments as well. So it wasn't all bad.

What am I trying to say? Well... 4 words... I quit this bitch!

33 Comments:

Blogger Angelo said...

I don't want you to stop, Ryan! Don't leave one stupid comment stop a good thing. Please, please, please reconsider!!!

Angelo

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jammer, maar begrijpelijk.

Miekesch

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One just had to spoil it for everyone. What an asshole. I really enjoyed reading the blog of a complete stranger the past 2 years. Although we never spoke, emailed or anything, I always felt as if I was part of your life. You had a great writing style and many times I was doubling up with laughter. It was a great run and I'm sorry it had to end on a bad note.

Henry Williamson
Edmonton, Canada

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, please, please, reconsider your decision. I read this everyday. I'm like addicted to this blog. Don't do this to me! Please come back, Traveller!

G.

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Echt Jammer dat je gaat stoppen, dat zou ik niet willen!! Maar ik word er ook schijt ziek van als mensen steeds zulke lelijke comments en woorden moet gebruiken enzo.

Blijf gewoon bloggen, je moet ook soms schijt aan mensen hebben he!!!

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ai no, Ryan!

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ik begrijp er niks van! Wat is er dan gebeurd?

Lies

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I weiger om dit te geloven. Ik bel je vanavond wel om je te overtuigen om toch door te gaan.

K I M

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ontzettend jammer dat je gaat stoppen, maar ik respecteer je beslissing. Ik heb ook sommige commentaren gelezen, inclusief die van gisteren en eerlijk gezegd vond ik het onnodig. Helaaas, pindakaas.

Floris

28.4.07  
Blogger Unknown said...

Waarde collega en vriend,

Ik hoop niet dat je om mij stopt, hor. Wat die lezer gisteren zei over 'pijpen' was schandalig, maar ik kan mezelf wel verdedigen. Ik heb er vrede mee, dus namens of om mij hoef je niet te stoppen. Je hebt goede en slechte (grrr! Boos!) geschreven en tóch vindt ik het leuk om je weblog te lezen en om af en toe een verschijning via foto te maken. Denk er goed over na en maak geen overhaaste beslissingen.

Geniet van je lange weekend en van Koninginnedag en niet té stout zijn!

Ric

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

28.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, please, please don't stop!

Jim N.

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this April's fools?

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you have to stop? I don't understand what is going on. Did someone leave a bad comment or something? Please don't stop if that's the case!!

London_Lilly

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sjonge jonge. Ik zit momenteel in DXB in de internetcafé en ik dacht "Effe kijken wat Ryan op zijn blog heeft gezet over onze stapavond op vrijdag" en dan lees ik dit. Wat je ook doet, ik zal je steunen. Alleen vind ik het jammer dat je met iets gaat stoppen, waarvan je zo van genoot. Overal waar ik je tegenkwam, had je een camera bij je of schreef je in een notitieblok dingen voor een post. Maar als mensen het voor je gaan verkutten, dan is de kous daarmee af. Jammer!

Ik spreek je gauw!

Jenske

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me it ain't so! Please don't stop! Pretty please! (Angry at tha a-hole who ruined it for us all)!

Leonard Anderson

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kept my mouth shut this whole time, but really we all could see it comimg. I mean, seriously... how much warning do we all need!? How many times didn't Ryan ask to keep the language clean and if you must say something nasty use *!# enz. Why must people be insulting? There was no need for that ultra-nasty post. Well... this is the result. No more blog.

I'm sorry for this, because Ryan enjoyed to blog. I enjoyed reading the sometimes crazy comments from certain people. I mean someone actually called me scooby-doo! Lol!

I am glad to have been part of Ryan's blog from the beginning. Sadly the end has come.

Lesley Peterson

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nee! AUB Nee!

Jan-Arie v/d Laars
ATCBox-er

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heel erg zonde! Geniet tenminste van Koninginnedag als je in NL bent! Ja, zonder blog is het moeilijker uit te vinden waar je uithangt.

Marjolein

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please reconsider, Ryan! I'm not asking you, I'm telling you!

JEANDRINA

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopi jammer. Pero e ta bo decision. Bo ta bin Aruba pa Pasco, tog? Ki dia??????

Eric Croes

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'est dommage que vous devez s'arrêter. Je travaille pour Air France à Marseille et j'ai vraiment eu plaisir à lire votre weblog. S'il Vous Plaît essai encore ! S'il Vous Plaît!

Pascale DuMont
La France

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Lesley my sweety pie, i called you scooby doo as a blog friendship name i gave you haha. Don't get angry at me sweety (kiss)muah muah

Ik heb inderdaad die ene sukkel op zijn donder gegeven toen hij of zij die lelijk comment heeft achter gelaten. Echt niet normaal.

Ik vind het wel jammer dat Ryan gaat stoppen, want zijn blog lezen was gewoon iets dat op mijn dagelijks agenda stond.

Anyways Ryan, morgen begin ik met me 3 weken les op SPL, voor menzies. Ik moest al die airline prefix leren uit me hoofd en airport en citycodes ik ken ze voor ongeveer 80% i hope so

KC - air astana - kazachstan
B8 - eritrean airways - eritrea
AT - royal air maroc - marokko
EZY/DS - easyjet switzerland Zwitserland

lol ik weet ze hou smart off me

Anyways RYAN stop blogging NOT, i cannot do without your blog anymore so. Forget abouth that dweeb that posted such a rude comment.

En volgens mij is het dezelfde persoon die altijd zo gare comments achterlaat.

Pikaboo

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jammer dat je gaat stoppen, Ryan. Maar goed, misschien verander je nog van gedachten.

Mark

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Miss Pikaboo: I wasn't mad at all. I just found it funny. And FYI, you made a teeny-weeny mistake... EZY is easyJet NOT easyJet Switzerland. As an ex-easyJet employee it's like this:

easyJet (based at London Luton LTN, UK):
IATA Code: U2
ICAO Code: EZY
Callsign: Easy

easyJet Switzerland (based at Geneva Cointrin GVA, Switzerland):
IATA Code: DS
ICAO Code: EZS
Callsign: Topswiss

easyJet is the most relaxed company I've ever worked for. It's a pity the salary wasn't that great.

Oh well, good luck Pikaboo!

Lesley

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ach nee man. Stop aub niet. Ik vind je verhalen juist leuk, omdat je ook een beetje je persoonlijke leven erbij betrekt.

Jeroen Graaff

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tnx buddy,
I now realised the EZY and EZS thing hihi well thanks.

Hasta mañana, fijne werkweek iederen. En genieten morgen.

Ik lekker op schiphol toets maken en les volgen :(

Pikaboo

30.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ik snap niet dat je wilt stoppen. Ik kan dit gewoon niet accepteren, Ryan. Je moet op je beslissing terug komen.

Roy

30.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C R A Z Y!!!

30.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goh, dit had ik echt niet aan zien komen. Ik heb het nooit verwacht! Best wel jammer eigenlijk.

Grietje

30.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dit is puur gekheid. Je laat je toch niet wegjagen door één of andere gekke debiel die niks anders te doen heeft dan mensen te beledigen?

Kom op Ryan, ik had meer van je verwacht. Ik ben diep teleurgesteld in je. Je ben vol enthousiasme aan je weblog 2 jaar geleden begonnen en ik heb je op weg geholpen. Denk je dat ik ook nooit negatieve dingen te horen krijg op mijn log? IEDEREEN krijgt dat. Vraag maar gerust aan de andere bloggers op ATC. Je hebt dan drie keuzes: je negeert ze, je dient ze van repliek of je delete de commentaars. Makkelijk zat.

Dus doe eens normaal, maak je blog weer open en doorgaan met die hap.

Daan de Meester

30.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee, Ryan wat is dit nu? I read your blog for over a year now and I enyoy reading about your life. I 'm even a bit jealous. Why stopping because one crazy person make a sick comment about you're way of living or what you are. Ignore such comments and please go on writing about you, your family, friends and work. You give your readers the feeling their part of your life. Kom op joh! Wees trots op wie , of wat je bent en laat die zak voor wat die is..
Andy

30.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kom nu vriend! Je laat je toch niet kennen? Ik ben het met bovenstaande Andy eens als hij zegt dat je trots op jezelf moet zijn!

Gerard

30.4.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home