Trip Report part 7 - Back home
Our RTW was over. It was time to go home and return to the real world. Thomas and I went to the supermarket one last time to get some food stuff you normally don't get in Holland.
Tommy in the supermarket
In the afternoon we took a cab to Changi airport and checked-in with Air France to Paris CDG. Whenever I fly AF, I show my Air France Consulting ID to the agents. That way they are aware that you are AF personnel and sometimes if you're lucky you get upgraded. Not only with AF, but also with KLM, Lufthansa, Finnair and many other airlines. The unspoken rule is that we always try to help other airline staff out. It's a case of one hand washes the other.
We did some quick duty free shopping (liquor!) and then waited at the gate to board our flight. Next to us there was a KLM aircraft heading to Amsterdam AMS, and we all wished we could've gone on that plane, because then you fly home directly. With AF, you still have to make a stop-over at that dreaded mess of an airport called Charles de Gaulle. But at the time we were trying to book our RTW, the flight was already full.
Our airplane
KLM at the gate next to us
About 10 minutes before we boarded we heard the following announcement from the Gate Agent from QANTAS (AF handling agent in Singapore) "Passengers de Geus, van Luyn, Mitchell, Peterson, Prade and Toewar travelling to Paris on Air France flight 257, please proceed to the desk at gate 9". When we went to the desk the friendly agent said that on behalf of AF, we were upgraded to l'Espace Affaires! (AF's business class). She said because 5 of us were airline staff (Brenda, Dennis and me were AFC, R. was KLM and Lesley was British Airways), the Air France and KLM Service Manager agreed to upgrade us to free up some economy seats for other passengers. The flight was overbooked in Economy. Of course we were happy. We boarded the A330 and started our 14(!) hour flight to Paris. I tell you it helped being in Affaires when travelling for such a long time!!
Boarding
On board
In-flight
Almost there
What I like about AF's planes is that the noseweel has a camera, so you can see the approach. I've experienced the ame thing on Finnair's A320's. Here you can see us approaching the runway at CDG
The next morning we landed in Paris.
"Mesdames et messieurs, bienvenue à Paris Charles de Gaulle. Veuillez rester assis jusqu'à ce que l'avion soit venu à un arrêt come..."
As we came out of the loading bridge, we were approached by an AF staff member. She told us that the AF flight to Amsterdam was overbooked and that only 4 of us could go on it. The other 2 would go on the next KLM flight 1,5 hours later. Ugh! Ugly mess, because we had this ting about 'samen uit, samen thuis'.
Our plane at the gate in CDG
Paris CDG
Heading to terminal 2F
Flight information at 2F
But anyway, since Dennis and I lived in Dordrecht and the rest in other places (R. in Rotterdam, Lesley in Hoofddorp, Thomas in Amsterdam and Brenda in Sliedrecht), we let the 4 of them go, so that Dennis and I could take the train together to Dordrecht. But then there was a problem with the bags we checked-in in Singapore. We checked in together, so all the bags were checked under Peterson's name. That was a problem. Finally Af decided to let all the bags go on the AF flight and when they arrived at SPL to put them on hold until we arrived. The AF agent sent a telex to SPL/LL (Lost Luggage Services) explaining them the situation. After that Dennis and I said goodbye to the others. They went to the gate and we went to a café to get coffee with the voucher we got from AF. After a while we saw our plane pull up to the gate.
Our plane back to AMS
Dennis and I headed to the gate and boarded an almost empty KLM 737. Doors were closed quickly, we pushed back. But thn we pulled back into the gate! There was a technical problem and should be fixed witn 1 hour. Damn! I was already too damned tired for this kind of sh*t! As it turned out the delay lasted 9 hours!!!!!! WTF?! And the AF agents refused to rebook us on another flight, because those were full. Finally a part was flown in from Lyon and the airplane was fixed. At 21.00 in the evening Dennis and I arrived in Amsterdam. We got our luggage at KLM Arrival Services and then took the train to Dordrecht.
Train back to Dordt
All-in-all it was a nice RTW trip, notwithstanding the end and I would definitely recommend anyone to do one. They are not even that expensive, as long as you keep going one direction.
Oh yeah Dennis and I each I got a voucher for 50,- to spend on our next flight on KLM, Northwest, Kenya Airways and Air France. Whatever . I gave it to my neighbour who was going to Madrid.
Mom
Mom was also heading back to Holland this day. She checked out of the hotel, went to the airport and flew back to Amsterdam. She arrived 6 hours before me and bought me lots of gifts! Thanls Mom! Her trip was also a great success. I happy for that
Ava, Hensley and Mom
Ava & Pamela
Group photo
Picture with the hotel staff
Mom at Antalya International Airport AYT
In-flight AYT-AMS
Tommy in the supermarket
In the afternoon we took a cab to Changi airport and checked-in with Air France to Paris CDG. Whenever I fly AF, I show my Air France Consulting ID to the agents. That way they are aware that you are AF personnel and sometimes if you're lucky you get upgraded. Not only with AF, but also with KLM, Lufthansa, Finnair and many other airlines. The unspoken rule is that we always try to help other airline staff out. It's a case of one hand washes the other.
We did some quick duty free shopping (liquor!) and then waited at the gate to board our flight. Next to us there was a KLM aircraft heading to Amsterdam AMS, and we all wished we could've gone on that plane, because then you fly home directly. With AF, you still have to make a stop-over at that dreaded mess of an airport called Charles de Gaulle. But at the time we were trying to book our RTW, the flight was already full.
Our airplane
KLM at the gate next to us
About 10 minutes before we boarded we heard the following announcement from the Gate Agent from QANTAS (AF handling agent in Singapore) "Passengers de Geus, van Luyn, Mitchell, Peterson, Prade and Toewar travelling to Paris on Air France flight 257, please proceed to the desk at gate 9". When we went to the desk the friendly agent said that on behalf of AF, we were upgraded to l'Espace Affaires! (AF's business class). She said because 5 of us were airline staff (Brenda, Dennis and me were AFC, R. was KLM and Lesley was British Airways), the Air France and KLM Service Manager agreed to upgrade us to free up some economy seats for other passengers. The flight was overbooked in Economy. Of course we were happy. We boarded the A330 and started our 14(!) hour flight to Paris. I tell you it helped being in Affaires when travelling for such a long time!!
Boarding
On board
In-flight
Almost there
What I like about AF's planes is that the noseweel has a camera, so you can see the approach. I've experienced the ame thing on Finnair's A320's. Here you can see us approaching the runway at CDG
The next morning we landed in Paris.
"Mesdames et messieurs, bienvenue à Paris Charles de Gaulle. Veuillez rester assis jusqu'à ce que l'avion soit venu à un arrêt come..."
As we came out of the loading bridge, we were approached by an AF staff member. She told us that the AF flight to Amsterdam was overbooked and that only 4 of us could go on it. The other 2 would go on the next KLM flight 1,5 hours later. Ugh! Ugly mess, because we had this ting about 'samen uit, samen thuis'.
Our plane at the gate in CDG
Paris CDG
Heading to terminal 2F
Flight information at 2F
But anyway, since Dennis and I lived in Dordrecht and the rest in other places (R. in Rotterdam, Lesley in Hoofddorp, Thomas in Amsterdam and Brenda in Sliedrecht), we let the 4 of them go, so that Dennis and I could take the train together to Dordrecht. But then there was a problem with the bags we checked-in in Singapore. We checked in together, so all the bags were checked under Peterson's name. That was a problem. Finally Af decided to let all the bags go on the AF flight and when they arrived at SPL to put them on hold until we arrived. The AF agent sent a telex to SPL/LL (Lost Luggage Services) explaining them the situation. After that Dennis and I said goodbye to the others. They went to the gate and we went to a café to get coffee with the voucher we got from AF. After a while we saw our plane pull up to the gate.
Our plane back to AMS
Dennis and I headed to the gate and boarded an almost empty KLM 737. Doors were closed quickly, we pushed back. But thn we pulled back into the gate! There was a technical problem and should be fixed witn 1 hour. Damn! I was already too damned tired for this kind of sh*t! As it turned out the delay lasted 9 hours!!!!!! WTF?! And the AF agents refused to rebook us on another flight, because those were full. Finally a part was flown in from Lyon and the airplane was fixed. At 21.00 in the evening Dennis and I arrived in Amsterdam. We got our luggage at KLM Arrival Services and then took the train to Dordrecht.
Train back to Dordt
All-in-all it was a nice RTW trip, notwithstanding the end and I would definitely recommend anyone to do one. They are not even that expensive, as long as you keep going one direction.
Oh yeah Dennis and I each I got a voucher for 50,- to spend on our next flight on KLM, Northwest, Kenya Airways and Air France. Whatever . I gave it to my neighbour who was going to Madrid.
Mom
Mom was also heading back to Holland this day. She checked out of the hotel, went to the airport and flew back to Amsterdam. She arrived 6 hours before me and bought me lots of gifts! Thanls Mom! Her trip was also a great success. I happy for that
Ava, Hensley and Mom
Ava & Pamela
Group photo
Picture with the hotel staff
Mom at Antalya International Airport AYT
In-flight AYT-AMS
13 Comments:
Enjoy Aruba for me.
Les
Ik weet bijna zeker dat Ronnie bij Planning & Control je geholpen heeft. Dat kan bijna niet anders, want ik vind het heel erg toevallig dat je familiarization reis naar AUA is met de Mad Dog 11.
Vertel! Bitch! :-)
Veel plezier skaaaatjuh!
Aruba? Wie? Wat? Wanneer? Ik heb niks gehoord. Ryan, vertel!!!
Daisy
Weet je, je moeder ziet er nog jong uit voor 50(?)
ik hoop dat ik er ook zo uitzie als ik ongeveer rond die leeftijd ben.
Marion
Black don't crack. Recognize!
Angelo
Hahahaha! Good one Angelo!
zoooooo ik haat wanneer die Ryan niks op zijn blok zet...
i hate this shit, ik ben al zo gewend voor het slapen zijn blog te lezen en nu zie ik de hele f..ing tijd de laatste post die hij heeft gezet
nou man i dont care if your flying or working for AFC
I AM MAD MAD MAD JUST ATLEAST LEAVE ROBIN OR LESLEY HIT A POST OR SO
:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
Ach ja, ik kijk ook elke dag ernaar uit om iets op de blogje te lezen. Vroeger werd het elke dag gedaan!
Lieke
Well guys, you remember he did say on his video blog he would be blogging less now, due to his hectic schedule.
Les
:(
My, my, my! I knew I would be getting these kind of reactions and that's why i warned everyone that I would be blogging less! Ha ha ha! I just can't keep up with the pace even if I wanted to. Patients is a good thing! I am off to bed. Jet-lagged!
Hello! Waar blijft de blog? Dit is niet normaal meer!
ja echt ik word gewoon moe van,
boos boos booosssssssss
:@
this damn Ryan!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home