Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A day at SPL

Hey, hey, hey! Yep, it's blog time again!

I'm not going to even bother apologizing. I'm like… whatever! It's been a hectic week. What have I been up to? Well I did loads of stuff in my house. Let me tell you… cleaning is a b*tch! Hate it! Oh… and I said before, I was also was in Aruba for carnival last weekend. Thanks to Ron, my RSA, my familiarization flight with the 3-holers was to Aruba AUA instead of that dreaded Hyderabad HYD I was originally scheduled on. Okay, here is the 411 on my 'other job'.

My buddies Floris, Brigitte, Roderick, Mohammed, Lies, Jenske and Dennis were all in my ass about taking to the skies for a long time now. But as I said before, I just don't find the job too interesting. It's just not my thing. I like being a consultant, I like working for different clients and I like both feet on the ground. Then one day I was in Amstelveen for a meeting at the KLM Headquarters and I met one of the Unit Managers of In-flight Services in de restaurant. His name was Herman and I knew him from the time when I went to fly temporarily for an AFC project last year. We got to talking and he asked me if I didn't want to join de 'vliegdienst' (In-flight Services) as a part-timer. First I said no, but he kept insisting I think about it.
After talking it over with my family and R., I decided to give it a shot. I reduced my full-time status at AFC to 75% and asked to travel less. The request was okayed. In October last year I signed a 3 year contract with Adecco Uitzendbureau to become a part-time Cabin Attendant CA. So… no… I don't work for Air France and KLM. I don't think that's even allowed. I work for Air France and my other job is done via Adecco, a temp agency or as they call it in Dutch… an 'uitzendbureau'. The thing is that when you work as a part-time CA, you don't have the same rights as a normal CA. For instance, you always will remain an éénbander (1 stripe) and the salary is much less.

In November I started a 6 week training course for safety and service. That went well and my first EUR (European) training flight was to Milan MXP. My first ICA (Intercontinental) training flight was in January to Houston IAH on a 747-400 combi. Both went great and the Purser gave me good marks. And so I earned my wings. My contract with Adecco is for the 737 and 747 as my standard aircrafts and my 'wisselkisten' are the MD11 and 777. But I am trying to renegotiate my contract to only fly ICA, so I can drop the 737. But I'm not sure that is possible. Of all the types the 777 is a dream to work with. It has an OCR (Overhead Crew Rest) and is super comfortable. The MD11 is a nightmare without OCR. But… they fly home… Aruba, so I can't complain. I fought tooth and nail, because the Unit Director wanted me on the 737, 747 and A330! I tell crewco when I want to fly a month in advance. I have to fly at least 1 EUR and 1 ICA per month. KLM has strict policies about blogging etc. So I will continue to blog about AFC, but KLM wil be very minimal. As you noticed, I minimalized blogging about R. as well.We'll see how long it will last with this job. So there you have it!

DaveDominic8.jpg
Open dag at KLM Inflight Services

Monday afternoon, I gave my cousin and my Godson (Dave & Dominic) a tour through Schiphol. I was there to pick up Lesley and the 2 boys were always bugging me about a trip to SPL. They are both aviation freaks, so it was cool to see to youngsters get so excited. It reminded me of myself when I was a kid. Dominic's father is a Martinair First Officer on the 767. I know that man, from the days he started out at Air Aruba. When he got his child he asked me to be Godfather. So I guess like father, like son. Here is what we did…
DaveDominic1.jpg

 
DaveDominic2.jpg
 
DaveDominic3.jpg
 
DaveDominic4.jpg
 
DaveDominic5.jpg
Some spotting from the Panorama Deck
DaveDominic6.jpg
 
DaveDominic7.jpg
Playing around with the Menzies cart. We got caught by a Menzies Agent, who gave us the riot act. Stupid b*tch. She needs to learn how to talk to people. But you know me… I had 'Dealing with Aggression' training, so I stayed calm. Hahaha! No, not really! I put that ho' right in her place. Sure, we were wrong, but no need to act the fool in front of children! Or am I wrong? Anyway, she's on my list!

Later that afternoon, Lesley came in from London LHR on BA. I filmed his airplane pulling in at the gate. Here's the link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3678215083307884657. After I greeted him at Arrivals, I said goodbye to him and his girlfriend and I headed to the parking lot with the 2 boys.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting 
Welcome back home, buddy!

On the way home, we passed at McDonald's and from there I dropped them home. All-in-all it was a great day. And so it goes...



Publiceer JOUW leven online met Windows Live Spaces: weblog, foto, video en muziek! Het is gratis! Het is gratis!

11 Comments:

Blogger Traveller said...

As you can see by the bottom of my post, I had to post the blog from my MSN email account. Blogger is working my last nerve now. Maybe it's time that I switch to a new blogging host.

Ryan

28.2.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hé lekker ding van me. Het was leuk je vandaag in de stad te zien. Je ziet er anders uit nu dat dat haar van je gegroeid is. We spreken een keertje af.

Kuzzz,

Anna

28.2.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben jij dan ook naar die open dag geweest? Ik heb je niet gezien. Ik heb die reclame foto ook laten maken. Was wel druk man!

Edwin

28.2.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ach vliegen is niet voor iedereen. Je moet het leuk vinden. Ik ken veel mensen die gewoon afgehaakt zijn, omdat ze het nu eenmaal niet leuk vonden. Ik ken veel mensen die net als jou flexibel vliegen als part-time CA. De voordeel is dat je vliegt wanneer je wilt, de nadeel is natuurlijk dat je geen KLM rechten krijgt zoals IPB-en etc. Ook dat de salaris mminder is, maar dat heb je al in je log verteld.

Maaike

28.2.07  
Blogger Unknown said...

Goh... nou succes dan. :-)

28.2.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan! Ik ben net gebeld door staffco. Albert uit team #2 is plotseling ziek geworden en vliegt morgen terug naar Nederland. Ik zal dus zijn plaats moeten innemen. Ik sta geboekt naar Kaapstad via Heathrow met KLM en South African. Capetown here I come. Dus helaas, dit weekend geen stappen. Jammer hè!!! Veel plezier!

Dennis

28.2.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sommige mensen weten niet hoe ze met anderen om moeten gaan. Dat is nou eenmaal zo, Ryan Mitchell.

K.

2.3.07  
Blogger Traveller said...

@ K: Dat mag dan zo wezen, maar dan moet je niet in de service industrie werken lijkt mij. Kijk, ik word niet snel boos en blif ook niet lang boos. Als ze zo tegen mij tekeer zou gaan, zou ik het geslikt hebben en laten gaan. Maar alsjeblieft zeg... niet waar er kinderen bij staan. Zoals ze op Aruba zeggen... "then I'll show my black side".

Ryan

2.3.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whahaahahahaha! Girl, you bad!

Les

2.3.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm just saying!

2.3.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er vliegen heel veel CA's via Adecco. KLM maakt ook gebruik van CA's via Manpower en Content uitzendburo.

Linda

2.3.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home