Thursday, September 14, 2006

Taipei report

Taipei Hilton Hotel, Taipei - Local time 22.15

Tuesday I left home around 17.00. I said goodbye to my parents and Junior and dragged my suitcase to the bus stop and took the bus to the train station. I took the 17.30 train to SPL. When I arrived I headed to the KLM Baggage Drop-Off Point to check my bags... I already had checked-in online at home the day before.

After my bags were gone, I went to the crew center to get briefed by Henriƫtte, my Unit Manager. She basically gave me the details of the project and what my job was (can't duscuss). After I told her goodbye I went by the Crew Control/Staff Coordination (crewco/staffco) office to pick up the information of my hotel. After that was done I checked in the system what my daily allowance (dag geld) was for Taiwan. Staffco put into the system that we had to travel with a certain amount of cash at hand and it had to be picked up at ABN AMRO Bank. So that's what I did.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
At ABN AMRO I picked up 1000 Taiwanese Dollars. That is about 100 Euros. You need cash up front to pay for a taxi

Then I headed to the F-pier where the KL 877 was already boarding. I was one of the last once to board and I sat all the way in the back. I grabbed a pillow, a blanket and my iPod Nano and was getting ready to sleep. I barely could keep my eyes open. Then the Purser came up to me and told me that I could go sit upstairs in World Business Class. Seat 72K. I thanked him, grabbed my stuff and went upstairs to sit. Very comfortable. I got the menu, selected what I wanted for dinner and breakfast and drank some orange juice.

The last thing I remember was the Captain saying "Cabin crew... yellow door selectors to automatic please"... because I went fast asleep. I didn't feel the take-off at all! When I woke up the crew was serving the meal. The flight itself was uneventfull. I slept throughout most of the flight. The next day (Wednesday) around 12.30 we landed in Bangkok BKK.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Approaching BKK

Because we were late, we had to stay on board. Within 1 hour we were in the air again on our way to Taipei TPE.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
In-flight BKK-TPE

At 18.15 we landed at Chiang Kai Shek International Airport in Taipei in Taiwan.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Approaching Taipei airport

I came off, went through immigration, grabbed my bags, made my way through customs and headed outside to get a taxi.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chiang Kai Shek Airport

Hardly any of those drivers speak English! So with sign language and a card of the hotel, I managed to tell one where I wanted to go. So I went to the Taipei Hilton. Once there I checked-in and asked for Grietje and the rest of the gang. They came down and met me in the lobby and we talked for a while. Then I headed upstairs to my room and said goodnight to the rest of my co-workers.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My room at the Taipei Hilton
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
View from my room. That is Kuang Fu Road

I unpacked my bags and ordered a tenderloin steak with rice from roomservice. After I finished eating I put on the TV and watched Will & Grace untill I fell asleep.

Today was a resting day. I had a headache and decided to stay in the whole day. The rest of the guys went shopping. I gave them money to buy an iPod Nano for me to gived to my cousin Jennifer. She asked me to buy one for her, the next time I go to Asia, because they are sooooo cheap here.

Tomorrow morning we have to start to work. I am off to bed now. Sleep well!