Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Xi'an... not Shanghai!

Wan Nian Grand Hotel, Xi'an - Local time 06.20

What a f*cked up day! I left home in Dordrecht around 7.30 and at 09.00 I was at SPL. I went to the briefing room where Brenda, Benjamin, Freddy and I got briefed by the Unit Manager. After the briefing we got our airline e-tickets with Finnair and Benjamin and Freddy got their tickets with Swiss. Grietje was travelling later that afternoon on KLM and Peter, Kelly and Alexander were travelling around 14.00 on AF via CDG.

After that we checked-in and headed to the gate where we boarded the Finnair Airbus A320 to Helsinki (HEL).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Checking-in at Finnair counter. What a line!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Heading to the gate

I must say these A320's from Finnair are very modern! The nose weel has a camera, so you can see what is going on during taxi, take-off and landing. AF also has this, but only on their 777's.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
You can see exactly what going on outside through the camera on the nose weel

The AMS-HEL flight lasted about 3 hours.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
In-flight AMS-HEL
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Touchdown in HEL.

After we arrived at Vantaa airport we had about 2 hours transit time. So we found a coffee shop and sat and had a capuccino. Exactly on time they announce our flight to Shanghai (PVG) was boarding, so we proceded to gate 33 to board our MD11.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Our airplane to PVG

We sat in Economy Class. It didn't matter though, because unlike KLM's cramped-up MD11's, Finnair's MD11's have more legroom. KLM's layout is 2-4-3, but Finnair's is 3-4-3.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Boarding time
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Take-off from HEL
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
In-flight HEL-PVG

The flight from HEL to PVG should have taken 10 hours, but 7 hours into the flight the Captain announced that we had technical problems and we could not make it to PVG. We needed to divert to Xi'an. I was like... where?? Xi..what?

In any case we touched down in Xi'an but we had to stay on board. After 3 hours they said the flight would be cancelled for 36 hours, because a part needs to be flown in from Hong Kong. All passengers could collect their bags and board a bus that would take us to a hotel. Well we didn't waste time... as soon as we were out and got our bags, we went to the Finnair representative and told them we will not be going to the hotel with the other passengers, nor would we be continuing with Finnair. We explained that we were here for a project and we could not afford to be delayed. They understood and we said goodbye.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Xi'an Xiangyang International Airport (XIY). Never heard of it!

Before we went, the Finnair representative gave us a business card from the airport with a information telephone number on it. We could call that number and find out which flights were going to PVG in the morning.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Business Card of XIY airport

Brenda called the number and they recommended us to check with 3 airlines; China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines and Hainan Airlines. After calling around, we compared the prices and the times of departure and Shanghai Airlines (FM) came out the best. They had the 1st flight out in the morning at 11.45. But it was to Shanghai Honqiao. Apparently Shanghai has 2 airports: Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG) and Shanghai Honqiao International Airport (SHA). We got tickets to SHA and put it on the company's credit card.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ticket with Shanghai Airlines. It cost 1040,- Chines Yuan. That is US$104,-

The Shanghai Airlines agent said we could check-in one time for tomorrows flight... that way we could proceed directly to the gate without having to stand in line for a long time waiting to check-in. So that is exactly what Brenda and I did.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My boarding pass with Shanghai Airlines FM9204 XIY-SHA

After we checked-in we went to the information desk to find a nearby hotel. The lady at the desk gave us the business card of the Wan Nian Grand Hotel.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Business Card from the hotel

It was only 15 minutes from the airport by taxi. Perfect.

So we took a cab to the hotel. We are sharing a room, because they only had one suite available. Who cares anyway... Brenda and I get along well and I respect her privacy. No worries there. We called staffco and explained them the situation and they would contact Grietje as soon as she lands in Shanghai to tell here where we are and to explain that we are on our way.

This really sucks. I hate diversions and problem. The thing is that Brenda, Grietje and I are running out of our hours! We have to get the job done ASAP. If we don't team #4 together with Freddy will take over, because team #3 has to be back in Holland on time for our 3 week summer break. And believe me... I am looking forward to that!

Bye!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ry! I am working the night shift at easyJet and I just read this post! Xi'an? Never heard about it.

I also hate diversions and cancellations. I mean really!! 36 hours delay!!! WTF?

Good luck to you and Brenda and see you in a few days.

Les

11.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

XIY? Nope. I work in aviation and that certainly doesn't ring a bell.

I however did know that the city of Shanghai has 2 airports SHA and PVG. PVG is the brandnew airport that was built a few years back.

SHA is old and decrepit. They should tear it down. Talking about airports... I read in the KLM informational bulletin that CUR new airport is going to open on July 31st. Any info on this?

Anyway good luck and werk ze.

Mark

11.7.06  
Blogger Traveller said...

@ Les: Tell me about it.

@ Mark: Nee joh. Ik heb niks over Hato gehoord. Maar er is iemand die mijn weblog leest die op Hato werkt ofzo. Ik weet het niet zeker meer. Hij was in ieder geval een ex-ALM'er.

If your reading this blog reader Devon... do you have the 411 on Hato?? Ik ben nieuwsgierig!

Ryan

11.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ik heb zoeiets gelezen in de reiskrant van vorige maand. Wordt het net zo als die van Aruba? De luchthaven van Aruba wordt gerund door de Schiphol Group. Het is wel mooi moet ik zeggen.

Ik vond Hato altijd stinken. Die toiletten waren een verschrikking! Ik moest een keer op een beursaal vlucht werken en dat was erg. Er waren niet genoeg zitplekken voor de pax. Het was een 747 van ons, een 767 van Sobelair and een 767 van Air Holland. Allemaal naar AMS. Dramatisch gewoon.

Enfin ik ziet hier lekker te bakken onder de Singapoorse zon. Morgen vlieg ik weer naar huis. Suc6!

Lies

11.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitchellman! Zit je lekker in XIY. Ik heb er wel van gehoord. Tja... als de helft van je familie Chinees is... :-)

AMM is heerlijk man. Leuk hotel met een gezellige crew.

Hato. Als ik over 2 weken ga, dan wordt het de laatste keer dat ik Hato "oude stijl" ga meemaken, blijkbaar. Ik zal foto's moeten maken voor je. Het was wel tijd voor een verandering. Als de pax uitstappen is de aankomsthal voor de paspoort controle zooooo vol. dat de pax buiten in de hete zon moeten staan. Dat vind ik nou geen stijl. Tijd voor een slurf! Dit is 2006! Ook SXM is dit jaar klaar.

Doe het rustig aan en ik mail je heel gauw, Mitchellman!

Tot ziens!

Robin

11.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Ryan HATO is almost done!! Thank God!! and what liesbeth said abouth the toilets, MEISJE JE HEBT GELIJK.

Regarding our airport, i think it's very cute comparing to what we all know HATO as. And the check-in counters are quite cute, but the damn allmighty colours they gave the jetbridges is just down the drain... poko slurf geel masha mahos yu, aino... :(

I am very proud of my island no matter who or what has something to say, verdonk, allochtoon, autochtoon, nederlanders, whatever noem maar op... But with all respect as far as I've seen here in de caribbean Aruba airport is TOP!!!

http://www.curacao-airport.com
I noticed that the website is down at the moment, but that's the link.

Ryan ik heb zoveel kiespijn, maak me gewoon ziek. seems like ORAJEL, AMBESOL, IBUPROFEN doesn't work anymore

I'll be seeing a dentist tomorrow morning early...

Oh ja Ryan ik ben 28July in nederland als het goed is!! dus net optijd voor karnaval. And me and my dushi is opzoek naar een nieuwe woning, dus het word een drukke aankomst in nederland he!!!

Take Care, remember whenever your in ASIA again I want one of those mp3 player you bought for Lesley, mi kier unu tambe!!! Just let me know and the money will be there..

Devon

11.7.06  
Blogger Traveller said...

@ Devon: Danki pa e info. The website is still down (big surprise!), but I can't wait to see those pics. AUA is indeed top, comparing to how it was in the past. I was working at the airport when they were buidling the new one and it was a disaster.

Anyway beterschap with your tooth ache. I know how irritating that can be!

You said you will travel IPB as a companion, right? Well I hope you make it, because travelling IPB on KLM in the summer vacation is almost impossible. Flights are overbooked.

If you are lucky the Captain will give you permission to use a crewseat. I did it once, but sitting on a jumpseat for 9 hours is just torture! Mij niet gezien!

Good luck and thanks for the 411 again!

Ryan

11.7.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home