Friday, June 30, 2006

HK: Day 3

Ramada Kowloon Hotel, Hong Kong - Local time 01.30

I slept great and woke up fit this morning. We decided last night to just order from room service. A blog reader (Randy) e-mailed me asking me how we pay for stuff like food, tickets, hotels and transportation. Let me explain:


There is a department in Paris called Planning & Coordinating. There they have people working called Planning Masters. They plan which AFC team does what, when and where. Remember... AFC is not only based in Holland, but also in New York, London, Paris, Mumbai, Sydney, Mexico City, Toronto, Tokyo, Ilha do Sal... etc. We are worldwide. When a project comes in, the Planning Masters see how big the job is, how many consultants are needed and for how long. They also check what specialty is needed. We (team #3) are specialized in Asia.
They check which team is available in which country and see which team is down. When they find a team to send on a project, the Planning Master calls the local staff department in that country. In Holland this department is run by KLM. It's called KLM Staff Coordination & Crew Control (staffco & crewco). They call staffco, give them the instructions and then staffco takes over from there. Staffco works with a system called Plan & Go, which has all of our personal info in it like passport number, visas, vaccins, addresses etc.

Staffco gives me a call and give me the details of the project and tell me with whom I'm going. When I confirm that I'm available to go (not sick or something), they go ahead a start looking for the available flights, hotels etc. Within a few hours they email me or fax all the details like; airline, flight number, hotel name etc. At the same time my Managing Consultant (Grietje) also contacts the rest of the team to tell us exactly what our job will be and how long we have to do it. So at this point the team starts doing preparation work for the project. About 2 days before we leave staffco calls me one last time to make sure I have the correct details of the travel info.

On the day we leave, we get briefed by our Unit Manager at the office or airport and staffco also brief us on the travel plans for one last time. They hand us our (e)-tickets and hotel vouchers. We all log into Plan & Go to see how much allowance (dag geld) we get per day at the destination we are going to. You don't get it in cash, but you withdraw it from your company credit card in your name. Always in local money. For instance in Hong Kong we get HK$550,- per day (Hong Kong Dollar). That is about US$70,- or €56,-. With that you pay for food only. Hotel, airline tickets, taxi, metro, bus or car rental the company pays for. They also provide you with a laptop and a company GSM. Now you would say it's a lot, but if you want to eat proper meals, you pay good money for it. If you decide you want to eat fast food, you can save a lot and bank the rest.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Company credit card. We have a contract with AmEx.

Hope this explains it, Randy from Texas!

Meeting time in the lobby was 9.00, so I ordered myself a croissant, orange juice and coffee.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
You order room-service via a computer that's in your room. Very easy and handy.

During breakfast I emailed some friends and responded to my comments on this weblog. 8.30 I showered and precisley at 09.00 I was in the lobby in complete AFC uniform. Grietje, Brenda and me took the taxi to HKG airport, while Freddy went to the AF office in Victoria to do other work. We would meet him there later. At the airport we met with Tang-Fei and started to do what we came here to do.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The morning was filled with meetings with Management of Swissport, Menzies and GlobeGround.

Around 13.00 we had a quick lunch and continued working.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Lunch: pasta with a Snapple

At 14.00 we stopped and took the metro back to the hotel. We quickly changed out of our uniform into casual clothes and took the hotel shuttle to Victoria where AF has a city office and Freddy was working the whole day. Outside we met up with Tang Fei once again.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tang Fei outside of the AF main office

Yes... we still had more work to do! From 15.30 to 17.30 we had a meeting with AFC people based in Hong Kong about the project.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is Annie. She is AFC staff based in Nairobi, Kenya and is here for a project as well. Her project is for Kenya Airways. We worked together in the past on a joint project for TAAG Angolan Airways in Paris a few months back. It was good to see her again.

After the meeting was over, Grietje, Brenda and me decided to go walking around the city a little. Freddy doesn't really like that kind of thing, so he went out to dinner with Annie. We took the bus from Victoria and went to Kowloon and walked around among local people and tourists. It is always fun to explore a city.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
In the bus
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Food stand in the street... and no... I didn't eat anything from there!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
See if you can spot Brenda & Grietje in the crowd...

After it start to get dark, we took a bus back to the hotel and worked a little more for a few hours in Brenda's room. Now I'm going to order room service again, watch some TV and go to bed. I am beat!

Goodnight!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In HKG is de Ramada ook de KLM crew hotel. Maar wij verblijven in Ramada Hong Kong Hotel, terwijl jullie in de Ramada Kowloon Hotel blijven. HKG is en blijft een leuke stad, maar jammer dat het een 2 daagse slip is.

Qua daggeld krijgen wij niet echt veel voor een HKG slip. En denk er ook aan dat 1/3 van de crew Chinese KLM'ers zijn die in HKG gebaseerd zijn. Die gaan gewoon naar huis, dus veel crew blijft er ook niet over.

Jens

1.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoi, hoi, hoi!! Ik zit ook in China! Maar in Shanghai. Ben uit standby geroepen. Het wordt een 2 daagse PVG in plaats van 3, maar ik krijg wel een extra verlof dag in NL.

Mijn galley maat was ook een Chineze gozer. Wel aardig, maar ik vlieg toch liever met Nederlandse crew. Ik snap niet dat ze lokale crew gebruiken. :-(
Vroeger deden we het ook op vluchten naar AUA, BON en CUR. Toen was de crew 50% KLM en 50% ALM. Ik vond het niet leuk als we een ALM Purser hadden. Ik vind niet dat iemand van een andere maatschappij onze baas kan zijn. Kom nou!

Thijsje

1.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Thijs: Doe niet zo flauw man! Toen KLM alleen op PBM vloog was de bemanning ook 50-50 KLM en SLM. Het ging altijd goed.

Ik vond het altijd leuk toen ik naar CUR ging om mijn nichtjes op te zoeken en de ALM purser papiaments sprak. Helaas is dat niet meer.

Rob

1.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heeft KLM veel lokale bemanning?

Maurice

1.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mathijs G. Zoek me niet he!!! Grrr..
Zeg en denk wat je wilt, jij stressed en ik chill...


Anti's RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devon

1.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KLM heeft "local crew" omdat jullie Nederlanders de lokale taal niet spreken. Heel simpel! KLM gebruikt lokale bemanning naar:

China (HKG, PEK, CTO en PVG)
Japan (NRT en KIX)
Zuid-Korea (ICN)
Taiwan (TPE)

Vroeger deden ze het ook naar India, maar dat is afgeschaft. De Japanse crew zijn werknemers van Northwest Airlines die een hub heeft in NRT.

Alle lokale bemanningleden worden getraind in AMS en krijgen een contract voor maar 5 jaar. Daarna mogen ze nooit meer bij KLM werken. Ze verdienen veel en veel minder dan normale AMS based KLM'ers en vliegen alleen op één route. Ze zijn allemaal vanaf het begin twee-banders, want ze moeten wel in C-class kunnen werken.

De ALM/SLM crew was geen locale bemanning, maar een joint-venture. De ALM'ers en SLM'ers werden op de 747 en MD11 getraind door KLM. Ook de piloten waren van ook van ALM/SLM. Zij hadden dezelfde rechten als KLm'ers en ja... een ALM'er of SLM'er kon Purser zijn. De enige vierbanders die voor ALM werkten waren de ALM'ers die ICA vlogen met KLM tussen de Nederlandse Antille, Aruba en Amsterdam. Normale ALM pursers die alleen op ALM vlogen waren driebanders.

Ik weet er alles van, want mijn tante was een ALM purser die de AMS route deed.

Lesley

1.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhm.... Lesley whats your aunts name??? Als ik vragen mag!

Ik vloog zelden CUR-AMS, :(
Bij DCA een CUR-AUA-CUR-MIA-RON was TOP joh!!!

RON hiermee bedoel ik met "Remain Overnight"

Mijn dushi heeft een AMS-AUA-AMS, tof man!!!

Oh ja Ryan ik ben aan het twijfelen over die INSUL AIR... Duurt lang! sjeetjes. Maar ik ga july naar NL en dan blijf ik direkt wonen bij me dushi!!! Dus het word dan gezellig.

Well RYAN we have something in common being with a C/A from KLM, it's kind of hard especially when u don't live in the same country, but things will change now.

Hey any of you people know if i would be able to get a hold on Arkefly (i mean work for them as) C/A or it also requires to be living 5 years in NL :( i like the Arkefly uniform it has something cute in it. I guess the smiley face haha

Well i'm going to Aruba tomorrow just for 2 days, my dushi is there. Heb een beetje kroelen nodig...

Devon!

1.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Devon: My auntie's name is Sharine Ruymveld. She worked over 25 years with ALM/DCA. 15 of those were with KLM. She was also working the ALM flight that got hijacked in PAP (HAiti) many years ago!

Now she works with DAE. Not in the air but on the ground in their office in Punda.

Les

1.7.06  
Blogger Traveller said...

Hi Devon! Con ta bai eynan na Korsow??

I've never heard of Insul Air. Who are they from? Where do they want to start to fly? Anyway fact of the matter is that DAE will be the strongest player in CUR. Why? Because it has the financial and operational backing of a big airline. Who? KLM.

They are partners and soon (within a year or so) pax can even earn FB miles on their flights. Working for AFC gives you a lot of insider information, which I am not allowed to discuss here. But what I can say is that 9H is desperately looking for 1-2 Fokker F100 and eventually a 737.

I even heard that my island of Aruba has another airline. Kiara, Piara or something. You know anything about them?

As for ArkeFly... let me get back to you about that. I have a few friends working for World of TUI and also have some information about the company. TUI is one of AFC's clients as well. I have to log-into my PC at home, but my "Norton PC Anywhere" isn't getting into my PC at home right now. As soon as I have info I'll post it on my weblog. Keep you posted!

Anyway being with a CA doesn't have to be hard if you have clear afspraken. For instance R. for the most part can plan his schedule... I cannot. So the deal we made is that he will do little EUR flights, but a lot of ICA. That way it generates a lot of RV (Reis Verlof). He of course also works as a Flex'er at SPL/PH, but not when I am home, unless it is really necessary.

Vacation: at least onc a year we go together and other times can be with friends or family. I go to AUA every year at least once. And of course some trips with my best buddy, Lesley.

Dus maak goeie afspraken en try to stick with it.

I'll get back to you.

Ryan

1.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The local airlines of Aruba is called TIARA AIR, MY GOD RYAN!!! u wouldn't want to see that aircraft haha, a flying box. it's shaped like a rechthoek with wings on it. www.tiara-air.com
The aircraft u seeing on their website is the aircraft their using... Oei!

Devon

1.7.06  
Blogger Traveller said...

What the f*ck!? That's one of the ugliest airplanes I've ever seen in my life! It's owned by Alejandro Muyale! I know him!

When I first started working in aviation I worked with a handling agent called General Air Services in AUA. I was a Service Agent for charters like Apple Vacations. I worked at GenAir for 2 weeks before I quit. I got into an argument with the Human Resource Manager about my salary. A few months later I went to Air Aruba/Ogden Ground Services handling FQ, KL, CO etc where I worked about 2 years before I stupidly got fired by my own fault.

Anyway GenAir and its sister company in CUR (you should know it!!!) Antillean Flight Services are bad pay!

God only knows how they treat the employees of Tiara!

Anyway Devon, danki pa e info.

Ryan

2.7.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home