ICA: KL0809 AMS-KUL
So I have the 1st part of my intercontinental (ICA) observation flight behind me. I changed into the KLM uniform at R's house in Rotterdam and together we took the train to SPL. Our flight was KL0809 Amsterdam (AMS) - Kuala-Lumpur (KUL) - Jakarta (CGK) at 20.25, but we were only doingthe first stretch to KUL. Another crew would take over in KUL and continue to CGK. Our reporting time was 18.40. I have the cold, so the motivation, wasn't really there for this flight... but hey... you gotta do, what you have to do, right?
In the briefing center I was on the phone with friend Lesley the entire time, talking about the great time we had in Paris, untill the KL0809 crew came in. After the crew was briefed, we headed to F02 together, where I put away my hand luggage and headed to the Overhead Crew Rest (OCR) to continue talking to Lesley. The crew did their job with safety checks. At 20.10 I heard the Captain's voice, say; "Cabin crew, yellow door selectors to automatic please". So I went to take my seat in the area 6/7 where R. was working. This area is rersponsible for row 35-45. The airplane was PH-BFP... City of Paramaribo... operating as "KLM Asia". There was a last-minute problem, with the Purser getting a call, that his partner got in a car accident, so a reserve Purser was on his way... so a delay. Low and behold.... I couldn't believe my eyes, when I saw the new Purser! What a small world it is indeed....

Robin pointing at his birthplace; Paramaribo

The Purser: Max van Montfort... doesn't he look familiar?

This should explain it all. We met in Beijing, China a 3 weeks ago!! I was there for the "De Boer & Wendel" project and he was on lay-over at the same hotel. His partner Theo (red polo shirt) was also there and with the whole group we toured Beijing. What a coincedence!
"Goodmorning ladies and gentlemen... my name is Max van Monfort and I am your Purser. The Assistant-Purser is Ms. Eijs. On behalf of Captain Hogevorst and his crew we would like to welcome you on board this KLM 747-400. The flight is KL0809 with destination Jakarta, with an intermediate landing in Kuala-Lumpur. This flight is carried out in cooperation with Air France, Malaysia Airlines, Northwest Airlines and SkyTeam. Flight time between Amsterdam and Kuala-Lumpur will be approximately 11 hours and 20 minutes............."
35 minutes late at 21.05 we were being pushed back and at 21.15 we were airborn via the Buitenveldertbaan. As soon after we took off , the beverage service was started, followed by the dinner service. Afterwards the blinds were closed and the 3 main movies started. Every hour a mini beverage service was carried out with water and juice, however there was a cart at the exit doors for self-service.
Later on, half of the crew went to rest in the OCR for 3 hours. I dropped asleep immediately. I was sick afterall. After we got a wake-up call, we put back on our uniforms, went back to the galley, so the second half of the crew could have their rest. Most just sat in the galley playing cards and making jokes, but I listened to my MP3 player and read a book. Every once in a while I interviewed a crew member. Then the crew did a middle-of-the-night ice cream service followed by horseplay... remember it is a combi aircraft, with the cargo on the maindeck.



Cute horses with destination Langkawi via KUL
Three hours prior to landing the breakfast service went into preperation, by baking the breads. Then the crew started to do the breakfast service and I was allowed to hand out immigration forms immediately after to passengers disembarking in Malaysia. 40 minutes prior to landing the CPT gave the sign that we had to prepare for landing by ringing the bell twice. Everything in the galley had to be locked-up, while the blankets and headsets were collected. After a final safety check, the CPT told us to take our seats and so we landed at Kuala-Lumpur International Airport Sepang.
Malaysia Airlines does the handling for KLM in KUL. After the papers were handed to the agent, the passengers disembarked. Passengers bound for Jakarta, were handed a transit card. Within 1 hour and 15 minutes the flight would be continuing. As there are passengers that remain on board, we had to wait for the release crew, that was continuing on this flight to CGK. After they got on, we got off and headed to our hotel in Bangi with a crew bus, right outside of Kuala-Lumpur (known to the locals as KL).

Our aircraft parked next to our partner Malaysia Airlines
The hotel is GREAT! Wow! A room to yourself and all the amenities. After a drink in the bar, we all turned in and decided that after an hour, we would meet in the lobby and head to KL. So after a shower, I put on my shorts and t-shirt and together with the gang we headed into town. There we had dinner and walked around. It was better to sleep in the night, so you can get in the rhythm of Malay time.

View from my room!


Petronas Towers in downtown KL

You really have to look up at the towers!

R. and a colleague showing off a very special edition of Coke
It's now around 20.00 and I am just about to close my eyes. Wednesday afternoon I have an up and down KUL-CGK-KUL.
Thanks to the KL0809 crew for this great flight. All the pictures of the flight can be viewed here. Submap KUL
In the briefing center I was on the phone with friend Lesley the entire time, talking about the great time we had in Paris, untill the KL0809 crew came in. After the crew was briefed, we headed to F02 together, where I put away my hand luggage and headed to the Overhead Crew Rest (OCR) to continue talking to Lesley. The crew did their job with safety checks. At 20.10 I heard the Captain's voice, say; "Cabin crew, yellow door selectors to automatic please". So I went to take my seat in the area 6/7 where R. was working. This area is rersponsible for row 35-45. The airplane was PH-BFP... City of Paramaribo... operating as "KLM Asia". There was a last-minute problem, with the Purser getting a call, that his partner got in a car accident, so a reserve Purser was on his way... so a delay. Low and behold.... I couldn't believe my eyes, when I saw the new Purser! What a small world it is indeed....

Robin pointing at his birthplace; Paramaribo

The Purser: Max van Montfort... doesn't he look familiar?

This should explain it all. We met in Beijing, China a 3 weeks ago!! I was there for the "De Boer & Wendel" project and he was on lay-over at the same hotel. His partner Theo (red polo shirt) was also there and with the whole group we toured Beijing. What a coincedence!
"Goodmorning ladies and gentlemen... my name is Max van Monfort and I am your Purser. The Assistant-Purser is Ms. Eijs. On behalf of Captain Hogevorst and his crew we would like to welcome you on board this KLM 747-400. The flight is KL0809 with destination Jakarta, with an intermediate landing in Kuala-Lumpur. This flight is carried out in cooperation with Air France, Malaysia Airlines, Northwest Airlines and SkyTeam. Flight time between Amsterdam and Kuala-Lumpur will be approximately 11 hours and 20 minutes............."
35 minutes late at 21.05 we were being pushed back and at 21.15 we were airborn via the Buitenveldertbaan. As soon after we took off , the beverage service was started, followed by the dinner service. Afterwards the blinds were closed and the 3 main movies started. Every hour a mini beverage service was carried out with water and juice, however there was a cart at the exit doors for self-service.
Later on, half of the crew went to rest in the OCR for 3 hours. I dropped asleep immediately. I was sick afterall. After we got a wake-up call, we put back on our uniforms, went back to the galley, so the second half of the crew could have their rest. Most just sat in the galley playing cards and making jokes, but I listened to my MP3 player and read a book. Every once in a while I interviewed a crew member. Then the crew did a middle-of-the-night ice cream service followed by horseplay... remember it is a combi aircraft, with the cargo on the maindeck.



Cute horses with destination Langkawi via KUL
Three hours prior to landing the breakfast service went into preperation, by baking the breads. Then the crew started to do the breakfast service and I was allowed to hand out immigration forms immediately after to passengers disembarking in Malaysia. 40 minutes prior to landing the CPT gave the sign that we had to prepare for landing by ringing the bell twice. Everything in the galley had to be locked-up, while the blankets and headsets were collected. After a final safety check, the CPT told us to take our seats and so we landed at Kuala-Lumpur International Airport Sepang.
Malaysia Airlines does the handling for KLM in KUL. After the papers were handed to the agent, the passengers disembarked. Passengers bound for Jakarta, were handed a transit card. Within 1 hour and 15 minutes the flight would be continuing. As there are passengers that remain on board, we had to wait for the release crew, that was continuing on this flight to CGK. After they got on, we got off and headed to our hotel in Bangi with a crew bus, right outside of Kuala-Lumpur (known to the locals as KL).

Our aircraft parked next to our partner Malaysia Airlines
The hotel is GREAT! Wow! A room to yourself and all the amenities. After a drink in the bar, we all turned in and decided that after an hour, we would meet in the lobby and head to KL. So after a shower, I put on my shorts and t-shirt and together with the gang we headed into town. There we had dinner and walked around. It was better to sleep in the night, so you can get in the rhythm of Malay time.

View from my room!


Petronas Towers in downtown KL

You really have to look up at the towers!

R. and a colleague showing off a very special edition of Coke
It's now around 20.00 and I am just about to close my eyes. Wednesday afternoon I have an up and down KUL-CGK-KUL.
Thanks to the KL0809 crew for this great flight. All the pictures of the flight can be viewed here. Submap KUL
Goodbye for now!
7 Comments:
Nice blog,
Is that Ms. Eijs, "Annekke Eijs"???????
Gr8 trip report, Ry! The way you sounded with your voice, I thought you wouldn't make it to KUL. I guess Rob took good care of ya, huh? LOL!
Grtz,
Les
Ik dacht dat de luchthaven van Kuala Lumpur Subang heette en niet Sepang.
Anyway geniet van je lay-over. Naast BKK is KUL de meest aangevraagde vlucht voor een KLM'er.
@ Anonymous: Volgens mij ken ik een Anneke Eijs. De naam klinkt in ieder geval bekend. Ze zit bij de vliegdienst als Purser en geen assistent-Purser, toch? Ik kan me natuurlijk vergissen. Ik weet het niet meer zeker, maar ik meen vorig jaar een Vancouver op de M11 gevlogen te hebben met een Anneke Eijs en die was volgens mij de Senior Purser aan boord...
@ Maurice: Subang is de oude luchthaven. De nieuwe heet Sepang of KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport). En wat betreft BKK heb je gelijk. BKK is gecombineerd met TPE en je bent net als KUL/CGK ook 6 dagen op pad.
Kim
LOL! Leuke foto's Ryan. Maar wat waren jullie aan het eten op foto 100_1661 en 100_1662. Ziet er heerlijk uit. Zijn dat de crew maaltijden, of zelf meegebracht?
Manon
Enjoy yourself son. Hope you feel better soon. Stay in bed and drink lots of orange juice and vitamin C.
You should try Cinabbon in the Petronas Towers. Best cinammon rolls ever. Bring back for me if you get a chance. Last time I had one, was in Houston last year.
Beterschap zoon!
Ma
Nice blog,
Is that Ms. Eijs, "Annekke Eijs"???????
Hi! No this Ms. Eijs was our junior purser (assistant purser) Marian Eijs. No Anneke on board the 809 I am afraid.
Gr8 trip report, Ry! The way you sounded with your voice, I thought you wouldn't make it to KUL. I guess Rob took good care of ya, huh? LOL!
I always take good care of Mitchellman, Lesley... you know that! lol! I'll see if I find the SD card for you here. Keep an eye on your e-mail.
LOL! Leuke foto's Ryan. Maar wat waren jullie aan het eten op foto 100_1661 en 100_1662. Ziet er heerlijk uit. Zijn dat de crew maaltijden, of zelf meegebracht?
Manon... dat was Lempur. Rijst in bananenblad met vlees. Heeft mijn ma gemaakt en ik had voor de bemanning meegenomen. Crew maaltijd stelde niet veel voor en we eten niet echt veel tijdens de nacht vlucht.
You should try Cinabbon in the Petronas Towers. Best cinammon rolls ever. Bring back for me if you get a chance. Last time I had one, was in Houston last year.
Hoi Pam! Ryan heeft nu een lichte koorts, dus hij blijft wel de hele dag in bed lijkt me. Maar ik zal zeker kijken of ik Cinnabon kan vinden in Petronas. Ik had hed wel in Bahrein op en een aantal jaar geleden op vakantie in Orlando, maar wist niet dat Kuala Lumpur er ook eentje had. en ik ben hier al 3 keer geweest! Ik hou het in de gaten!
Liefs Robby
Post a Comment
<< Home