Dames & heren, welkom in Amsterdam...
At 22.15 the crew had to be in the lobby. It was time to go back home after 6 days of being together. My bags were already packed and I made sure I left nothing behind in the hotel room. I then went to R's room, which was next to mine and waited until he was finished and together we went down to the lobby to wait for the rest. I slept the whole day, but R. went out with 2 of the girls, so he didn't sleep much. Whatever... that's his problem.

R. with Tess and Daniëlle at Karma Dado - Picture by R. de G.
Everyone was in the lobby on time and we loaded our luggage in the bus and headed to Sepang airport. Once at the airport, we tipped and said goodbye to our driver, Pango. First we went to the KLM counter and put our suitcases on the belt and then the cockpit crew, purser (Max) and assistant purser (Marian) went to get briefed. The rest of us headed to the gate to wait for the aircraft to come in from CGK. The gate area already had passengers and most of them were transferring from Australia and New Zealand. Everything was on time. The flight was landing at 22.00 from CGK and departing for AMS at 23.15.

Going upstairs to our gate
We were all chatting at the gate mentally preparing ourselves for the 13 hour flight to Holland... yes 13 hours! Max and Marian came back from the briefing room and told each attendant what their working area would be and the loads of the flight. Max asked me if I really wanted to "work" on the flight back home, instead of observing. I sad yes... what the hell. So, I would be stationed in the forward galley nicknamed "pijpela" and my area as "2-bander" would in World Business Class (row 1-4). It also seemed that todays Singapore was severely delayed (12 hours), so some passengers were rebooked to KUL. We were heavy... that's crew slang for a full flight. Being a night flight, the passengers should be asleep most of the time. At the gate next to us, their was a Malaysia Airlines 747-400 parked. It was also bound for Amsterdam and was scheduled to leave 40 minutes after us.
Just then we heard an announcement "KLM announces the arrival of its flight 810 procedeing from Jakarta" and after 5 minutes we saw the airplane taxiing towards the gate. After most of the passenegrs came off, we went on to relieve the crew. They had another 2 days in KUL, before they go back to AMS. After we said goodbye, I put away my coat and handlugagge and started to go through the checklist, making sure the catering was okay. Dora, my pantry partner, did the safetycheck, which I am not allowed to do.

KL810 from Jakarta has just landed. PH-BFK "City of Karachi". Excuse the quality... pics were taken with my phone as my camera ran out of batteries


Aircraft pulled in at the gate

The blue dots are my working area. 0/1 "pijpela" and WBC rows 1-4

The pantry I would be working in. Dora doesn't want to appear on the blog. I respected her wishes
After everything was double-checked, the purser gave the gate agent the okay to start boarding. It was hectic but in no time everyone was seated. The PIL (Passenger Information List), API (Advanced Passenger Info) and loadsheet came on board and the doors were closed and the yellow door selectors went to automatic and was cross-checked. I had to offer the WBC passengers (most were upgrades) a choice of champagne or orange juice and they were offered the menu to select their dinner, snack and breakfast. After that Dora and me collected the empty glasses and filled out menu.


Champagne and orange juice
Max started his welcome speech and the safety video was showed. After a while I felt we were being pushed back and the engines started. It was time to do the seatbelt check. You have to make sure all belts are fastened, seatbacks are in the upright position, leg-rest folded back and video screens stowed away.
"Cabin crew, prepare for departure"... this is the sign that the lights in the cabin will be dimmed, airco will be switched off and all other electrical things. The aircraft needs all the power to take-off.
"Cabin crew, take your seats please"... so we buckled in. After a long take-off roll, we were in the air. As soon as the "two-bell" signal went we unbuckled and started to prepare for the dinner service. Then dinner was served without a hitch. We then took a break and as soon as the timer went, we went to collect the plates. After that a coffee/tea service. The blinds were then closed and we sat down in the galley. The first shift went to take their 4 hour break in the OCR, while we spread out in the aircraft. Every hour we did a mini beverage service. But there was also a self-service trolley parked at every exit with snacks and drinks.

Dinner in WBC

Self-service trolley
After 4 hours, the others came back from their nap and we went to the OCR. Man was I glad to take a nap. With my MP3 player in my ear, I went into dream land.
I woke up very groggy, put on my jacket, brushed my teeth, freshened up and headed back to the "pijpela". I was hungry, so I took out a crew meal, which you can add anything to from the overflow from the passenger meals.

747-400 OCR



By the time I raided the pantry...

... this was my final meal that I put together
I didn't see R. the entire time, since we left KUL. He was working in area 6/7. So I went to check-out what was going on and chatted with him and his galley partner for a while.

R. with S.
Back in the "pijpela", Dora came and asked me to start making the coffee and baking the breads. Time for breakfast service in an hour. When it's time to serve breakfast, the purser switches on the light to wake up everyone. We were 10 hours into the flight and somewhere above Poland. Max told us that the CPT said that we were going to arrive really early at SPL around 04.00, because of tailwinds, but there is no groundstaff to receive the airplane, so he was going to slow us down, so we could arrive a little later. If we arrive to early we would just have to wait on the platform. No fun.

Cruising at 35000 feet

A typical WBC breakfast
After breakfast, coffee and tea were served we took another small break and then started to tidy up the pantries. The destination video and connecting flight info were shown on the overhead monitors. Then we handed out the Delft Blue houses to the WBC passengers.


Delft Blue house is filled with gin
"Cabin crew prepare for landing"... 30 minutes before landing. It's time to collect the headphones and blankets. All trolleys need to be securely locked in at this moment, while the CPT starts the descent. At this point the aprons come off and full uniform is put back on. The ladies switch from their cabin shoes to pumps. 15 minutes before touchdown, we do the seatbelt check for the final time. Then lights are dimmed and all electricty switched off, incase the CPT needs full power in the event of an aborted landed.
"Cabin crew take your seats"... time to buckle up. When you hear 2 dings, it means that landing is imminent. At 04.41 we hit the ground really hard. The long flight was finally over.

As you can see we arrived early. Apparently there was a problem with the Malaysia Airlines flight that was scheduled to leave after us. It is delayed. I wondered what happened?
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Amsterdam. We hoped you enjoyed your flight. Please remain seated untill the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the seatbelt sign has been switched-off. Please be careful when removing your belongings from the overhead luggage compartment, for items may have shifted during the flight and may fall out. When disembarking please make sure you take all of your belongings with you. Passengers ending their journey here in Amsterdam we wish a pleasant stay and those with a connecting flight, we wish a pleasant continuation of their journey. On behalf of the entire crew, we bid you goodbye and thank you for flying KLM, SkyTeam and its other partners."
We pulled in at gate F7. Then you hear the following commands:
"Cabin crew yellow door selectors to manual" and "Cabin crew doors may be opened" You hear the knock from the gate agent and we opened 2 doors, as we were at a double-jetway gate. We stood in our positions telling the passengers goodbye. After everyone was out, Max held a little speach for Sierra and me. It was Sierra's first flight after crew training and I was a pretend F/A for a few days.

Sierra is the one on the left
They gave me a litlle KLM keychain as a gift. After that we took our bags and left the plane. Outside I met up with Lesley who was waiting for his Cathay flight from HKG. We talked for a while waiting for the cockpit crew and then I left.


Our aircraft parked at the gate.
In the crew center we met up with other crews who also just arrived with KL878 from Taipei/Bangkok and KL562 from Entebbe. I shook everyone's hand and thanked them for a wonderful time and for treating me as one of the team. Then R. and me left.

Leaving SPL via Arrivals 3
We took the train and I said goodbye to R. in Rotterdam and I continued to Dordt. I am tired, kind of sick and jet-lagged. Now I am going to bed.

Thanks to a wonderful crew for a wonderful time. You made me feel as part of the team. Also thank you for your patience in answering all of my questions and filling out the questionnaires. I know some of you are dying to see me in action on board as a Flight Attendant, so the pictures of the flight can be viewed here. Submap KULAMS. Remember the rules! Hartelijk bedankt!

R. with Tess and Daniëlle at Karma Dado - Picture by R. de G.
Everyone was in the lobby on time and we loaded our luggage in the bus and headed to Sepang airport. Once at the airport, we tipped and said goodbye to our driver, Pango. First we went to the KLM counter and put our suitcases on the belt and then the cockpit crew, purser (Max) and assistant purser (Marian) went to get briefed. The rest of us headed to the gate to wait for the aircraft to come in from CGK. The gate area already had passengers and most of them were transferring from Australia and New Zealand. Everything was on time. The flight was landing at 22.00 from CGK and departing for AMS at 23.15.

Going upstairs to our gate
We were all chatting at the gate mentally preparing ourselves for the 13 hour flight to Holland... yes 13 hours! Max and Marian came back from the briefing room and told each attendant what their working area would be and the loads of the flight. Max asked me if I really wanted to "work" on the flight back home, instead of observing. I sad yes... what the hell. So, I would be stationed in the forward galley nicknamed "pijpela" and my area as "2-bander" would in World Business Class (row 1-4). It also seemed that todays Singapore was severely delayed (12 hours), so some passengers were rebooked to KUL. We were heavy... that's crew slang for a full flight. Being a night flight, the passengers should be asleep most of the time. At the gate next to us, their was a Malaysia Airlines 747-400 parked. It was also bound for Amsterdam and was scheduled to leave 40 minutes after us.
Just then we heard an announcement "KLM announces the arrival of its flight 810 procedeing from Jakarta" and after 5 minutes we saw the airplane taxiing towards the gate. After most of the passenegrs came off, we went on to relieve the crew. They had another 2 days in KUL, before they go back to AMS. After we said goodbye, I put away my coat and handlugagge and started to go through the checklist, making sure the catering was okay. Dora, my pantry partner, did the safetycheck, which I am not allowed to do.

KL810 from Jakarta has just landed. PH-BFK "City of Karachi". Excuse the quality... pics were taken with my phone as my camera ran out of batteries


Aircraft pulled in at the gate

The blue dots are my working area. 0/1 "pijpela" and WBC rows 1-4

The pantry I would be working in. Dora doesn't want to appear on the blog. I respected her wishes
After everything was double-checked, the purser gave the gate agent the okay to start boarding. It was hectic but in no time everyone was seated. The PIL (Passenger Information List), API (Advanced Passenger Info) and loadsheet came on board and the doors were closed and the yellow door selectors went to automatic and was cross-checked. I had to offer the WBC passengers (most were upgrades) a choice of champagne or orange juice and they were offered the menu to select their dinner, snack and breakfast. After that Dora and me collected the empty glasses and filled out menu.


Champagne and orange juice
Max started his welcome speech and the safety video was showed. After a while I felt we were being pushed back and the engines started. It was time to do the seatbelt check. You have to make sure all belts are fastened, seatbacks are in the upright position, leg-rest folded back and video screens stowed away.
"Cabin crew, prepare for departure"... this is the sign that the lights in the cabin will be dimmed, airco will be switched off and all other electrical things. The aircraft needs all the power to take-off.
"Cabin crew, take your seats please"... so we buckled in. After a long take-off roll, we were in the air. As soon as the "two-bell" signal went we unbuckled and started to prepare for the dinner service. Then dinner was served without a hitch. We then took a break and as soon as the timer went, we went to collect the plates. After that a coffee/tea service. The blinds were then closed and we sat down in the galley. The first shift went to take their 4 hour break in the OCR, while we spread out in the aircraft. Every hour we did a mini beverage service. But there was also a self-service trolley parked at every exit with snacks and drinks.

Dinner in WBC

Self-service trolley
After 4 hours, the others came back from their nap and we went to the OCR. Man was I glad to take a nap. With my MP3 player in my ear, I went into dream land.
I woke up very groggy, put on my jacket, brushed my teeth, freshened up and headed back to the "pijpela". I was hungry, so I took out a crew meal, which you can add anything to from the overflow from the passenger meals.

747-400 OCR



By the time I raided the pantry...

... this was my final meal that I put together
I didn't see R. the entire time, since we left KUL. He was working in area 6/7. So I went to check-out what was going on and chatted with him and his galley partner for a while.

R. with S.
Back in the "pijpela", Dora came and asked me to start making the coffee and baking the breads. Time for breakfast service in an hour. When it's time to serve breakfast, the purser switches on the light to wake up everyone. We were 10 hours into the flight and somewhere above Poland. Max told us that the CPT said that we were going to arrive really early at SPL around 04.00, because of tailwinds, but there is no groundstaff to receive the airplane, so he was going to slow us down, so we could arrive a little later. If we arrive to early we would just have to wait on the platform. No fun.

Cruising at 35000 feet

A typical WBC breakfast
After breakfast, coffee and tea were served we took another small break and then started to tidy up the pantries. The destination video and connecting flight info were shown on the overhead monitors. Then we handed out the Delft Blue houses to the WBC passengers.


Delft Blue house is filled with gin
"Cabin crew prepare for landing"... 30 minutes before landing. It's time to collect the headphones and blankets. All trolleys need to be securely locked in at this moment, while the CPT starts the descent. At this point the aprons come off and full uniform is put back on. The ladies switch from their cabin shoes to pumps. 15 minutes before touchdown, we do the seatbelt check for the final time. Then lights are dimmed and all electricty switched off, incase the CPT needs full power in the event of an aborted landed.
"Cabin crew take your seats"... time to buckle up. When you hear 2 dings, it means that landing is imminent. At 04.41 we hit the ground really hard. The long flight was finally over.

As you can see we arrived early. Apparently there was a problem with the Malaysia Airlines flight that was scheduled to leave after us. It is delayed. I wondered what happened?
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Amsterdam. We hoped you enjoyed your flight. Please remain seated untill the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the seatbelt sign has been switched-off. Please be careful when removing your belongings from the overhead luggage compartment, for items may have shifted during the flight and may fall out. When disembarking please make sure you take all of your belongings with you. Passengers ending their journey here in Amsterdam we wish a pleasant stay and those with a connecting flight, we wish a pleasant continuation of their journey. On behalf of the entire crew, we bid you goodbye and thank you for flying KLM, SkyTeam and its other partners."
We pulled in at gate F7. Then you hear the following commands:
"Cabin crew yellow door selectors to manual" and "Cabin crew doors may be opened" You hear the knock from the gate agent and we opened 2 doors, as we were at a double-jetway gate. We stood in our positions telling the passengers goodbye. After everyone was out, Max held a little speach for Sierra and me. It was Sierra's first flight after crew training and I was a pretend F/A for a few days.

Sierra is the one on the left
They gave me a litlle KLM keychain as a gift. After that we took our bags and left the plane. Outside I met up with Lesley who was waiting for his Cathay flight from HKG. We talked for a while waiting for the cockpit crew and then I left.


Our aircraft parked at the gate.
In the crew center we met up with other crews who also just arrived with KL878 from Taipei/Bangkok and KL562 from Entebbe. I shook everyone's hand and thanked them for a wonderful time and for treating me as one of the team. Then R. and me left.

Leaving SPL via Arrivals 3
We took the train and I said goodbye to R. in Rotterdam and I continued to Dordt. I am tired, kind of sick and jet-lagged. Now I am going to bed.

Thanks to a wonderful crew for a wonderful time. You made me feel as part of the team. Also thank you for your patience in answering all of my questions and filling out the questionnaires. I know some of you are dying to see me in action on board as a Flight Attendant, so the pictures of the flight can be viewed here. Submap KULAMS. Remember the rules! Hartelijk bedankt!
3 Comments:
You looked mashed up this morning man. You really are sick. Take some vitamin C, drink lots of orange juice and I'll call ya tomorrow when you catch yourself.
My Cathay came in at 06.00 and I had a last mintue gate change from the F-pier to the G-pier. Anyway slaap ze!
Les
Ha die Ry. Dus je hebt de meest begeerde vlucht binnen de KLM gedaan. Gefeliciteerd!
Ik ga morgen naar Oostenrijk op wintersport. Sölden. Als je tijd en zin hebt, moet je zeker langkomen. De trein is €89,-, bus €75,- en als je IPB't kost dat €56,- met Transavia naar INN of als je met KLM/Austrian Arrows IPB't naar VIE/INN is dat 78,-.
Denk er maar eens overna!
Gegroet!
Moh
Hey trolley dolley! Welcome back!
Zit nog steeds in Lloret del Mar en vlieg overmorgen terug. Wat heb je voor me meegenomen?
Je broer.
Post a Comment
<< Home