"cabin crew arm the slide bars..."
THU 26 Jan 08.05 xFLIGHTx KL1075 734 AMS-MAN 09.20-10.40
THU 26 Jan --.-- xFLIGHTx KL1076 734 MAN-AMS 11.30-12.55
Surprise! I just did my first flight for my AFC project. I already knew for a while what my first EUR (European) flight would be, but decided to keep it a surprise for you guys. The project is going under the name of "Rapid Transformation", so we don't waste any time. As you can see from the schedule that crewco assigned to me, my first flight was KL1075/1076 Amsterdam (AMS)-Manchester (MAN)-Amsterdam on a Boeing 737-400.
Duty time was at 08.05. That is the time you have to report for briefing. This morning I got up, got ready and put on my KLM uniform. It felt weird to have one on again and it felt weird to have two silver stripes on your sleeve. R. helped me put my borrowed wings on. I jumped on a train and headed to SPL. Once there, I walked to the briefing center. There was so much blue... I was kinda lost. Finally after asking some questions I met up with my "crew". This crew would be doing 3 stretches; AMS-MAN, MAN-AMS and AMS-MUC where they would lay-over. I was only doing the first two stretches and would get back off in AMS.
In the briefing center I introduced myself to Mr. Beerends my Purser. To complete the cabin crew there was Juliette de Jong and Marja Ritmeijer-Mud. The cockpit crew we would meet on board. During the briefing the Purser gives info on which crewseat you are assigned to. That also indicates in which area of the aircraft you will be working in and the tasks attached to it. Then she takes out a huge map and asks the two women a few security questions, relating to flight safety. Questions like "where is the fire exstinguisher located near your crewseat?" and "What do you do in the case of a fire in the oven?"
After that was done she told the crew that I was there strictly to observe them and to feel free to answer any questions I may have. From there the 4 of us walked to gate D48.
Once on board I just sat down, while the crew did their safety check. Then I met the Captain (CPT) and the First Officer (F/O). They went straight into the cockpit. When the safety check was done, an agent from Ground Services came on board to ask if they could start boarding the flight. Boarding went without much problems and the flight was not that full. I just stood outside in the jetway and welcomed the passengers on board. When everyone was in, the manifest was given to the Purser, the door was closed and the bridge disconnected. I just took my seat and fastened my safety belt. The crew was actively busy, making sure everything was locked and secure. Then a "ding" and the voice from the CPT "Cabin crew arm the slide bars, please". When that was done and it was cross-checked, the Purser went to the Purser Work Station (PWS) and started his welcome announcement:
"Goodmorning ladies and gentlemen... my name is Jeroen Beerends and I am your Purser. On behalf of Captain de Bruin and his crew we would like to welcome you on board this KLM 737-400. The flight is KL1075 with destination Manchester. This flight is carried out in cooperation with Northwest Airlines, Continental Airlines and SkyTeam. Flight time between Amsterdam and Manchester is 1 hour and 20 minutes..................."
We got pushed back from the gate and taxied to the runway. CPT came on and said "Cabin crew, please take your seats" and within 2 minutes we were in the air. As soon as the seatbelt sign came-off the food service started. In Europe Select a complete breakfast and in Economy a sandwich. I just sat back, observed and took notes. 15 minutes before landing the CPT announced "Cabin crew prepare for landing" and the crew started to lock everything up and make sure everything was secured. Then we had to take our seats and we touched down in MAN.
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Manchester. Please remain seated untill the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the seatbelt signs have been switchd-off. We would like to remind you, to please be carefulm when removing your belongings from the overhead compartment, for items may have shifted during the flight. Thank you for flying KLM and SkyTeam......"
We parked at the gate and all the passengers got out. We had a 25 minute break and while the crew prepared for the return flight I asked my questions. At 10.05 the passengers started to board and the same procedures were repeated as in AMS.
The flight back was bumpy, but went great. At 12.55 we touched down in AMS and parked at D22. After all the passengers were out of the plane, I thanked the crew for their hospitality and wished them a pleasant flight further. Their next destination was Munich (MUC).
In the briefing center I debriefed and took the train to Dordt. What can I say... it is true what they say... on EUR flights you have to work hard. No lie! Now I am going to type out a trip report for my project and then watch television. Tomorrow I have a EUR flight again, but this time on a widebody aircraft. Destination? You'll see...........

Thanks to the KL1075/1076 crew for this great first time experience.
All the pictures of my first flight can be viewed here. The password has already been sent, so check your e-mails!
THU 26 Jan --.-- xFLIGHTx KL1076 734 MAN-AMS 11.30-12.55
Surprise! I just did my first flight for my AFC project. I already knew for a while what my first EUR (European) flight would be, but decided to keep it a surprise for you guys. The project is going under the name of "Rapid Transformation", so we don't waste any time. As you can see from the schedule that crewco assigned to me, my first flight was KL1075/1076 Amsterdam (AMS)-Manchester (MAN)-Amsterdam on a Boeing 737-400.
Duty time was at 08.05. That is the time you have to report for briefing. This morning I got up, got ready and put on my KLM uniform. It felt weird to have one on again and it felt weird to have two silver stripes on your sleeve. R. helped me put my borrowed wings on. I jumped on a train and headed to SPL. Once there, I walked to the briefing center. There was so much blue... I was kinda lost. Finally after asking some questions I met up with my "crew". This crew would be doing 3 stretches; AMS-MAN, MAN-AMS and AMS-MUC where they would lay-over. I was only doing the first two stretches and would get back off in AMS.
In the briefing center I introduced myself to Mr. Beerends my Purser. To complete the cabin crew there was Juliette de Jong and Marja Ritmeijer-Mud. The cockpit crew we would meet on board. During the briefing the Purser gives info on which crewseat you are assigned to. That also indicates in which area of the aircraft you will be working in and the tasks attached to it. Then she takes out a huge map and asks the two women a few security questions, relating to flight safety. Questions like "where is the fire exstinguisher located near your crewseat?" and "What do you do in the case of a fire in the oven?"
After that was done she told the crew that I was there strictly to observe them and to feel free to answer any questions I may have. From there the 4 of us walked to gate D48.
Once on board I just sat down, while the crew did their safety check. Then I met the Captain (CPT) and the First Officer (F/O). They went straight into the cockpit. When the safety check was done, an agent from Ground Services came on board to ask if they could start boarding the flight. Boarding went without much problems and the flight was not that full. I just stood outside in the jetway and welcomed the passengers on board. When everyone was in, the manifest was given to the Purser, the door was closed and the bridge disconnected. I just took my seat and fastened my safety belt. The crew was actively busy, making sure everything was locked and secure. Then a "ding" and the voice from the CPT "Cabin crew arm the slide bars, please". When that was done and it was cross-checked, the Purser went to the Purser Work Station (PWS) and started his welcome announcement:
"Goodmorning ladies and gentlemen... my name is Jeroen Beerends and I am your Purser. On behalf of Captain de Bruin and his crew we would like to welcome you on board this KLM 737-400. The flight is KL1075 with destination Manchester. This flight is carried out in cooperation with Northwest Airlines, Continental Airlines and SkyTeam. Flight time between Amsterdam and Manchester is 1 hour and 20 minutes..................."
We got pushed back from the gate and taxied to the runway. CPT came on and said "Cabin crew, please take your seats" and within 2 minutes we were in the air. As soon as the seatbelt sign came-off the food service started. In Europe Select a complete breakfast and in Economy a sandwich. I just sat back, observed and took notes. 15 minutes before landing the CPT announced "Cabin crew prepare for landing" and the crew started to lock everything up and make sure everything was secured. Then we had to take our seats and we touched down in MAN.
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Manchester. Please remain seated untill the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the seatbelt signs have been switchd-off. We would like to remind you, to please be carefulm when removing your belongings from the overhead compartment, for items may have shifted during the flight. Thank you for flying KLM and SkyTeam......"
We parked at the gate and all the passengers got out. We had a 25 minute break and while the crew prepared for the return flight I asked my questions. At 10.05 the passengers started to board and the same procedures were repeated as in AMS.
The flight back was bumpy, but went great. At 12.55 we touched down in AMS and parked at D22. After all the passengers were out of the plane, I thanked the crew for their hospitality and wished them a pleasant flight further. Their next destination was Munich (MUC).
In the briefing center I debriefed and took the train to Dordt. What can I say... it is true what they say... on EUR flights you have to work hard. No lie! Now I am going to type out a trip report for my project and then watch television. Tomorrow I have a EUR flight again, but this time on a widebody aircraft. Destination? You'll see...........

Thanks to the KL1075/1076 crew for this great first time experience.
All the pictures of my first flight can be viewed here. The password has already been sent, so check your e-mails!
2 Comments:
Congratulations dude! Excellent trip report.
Hé steward! Dus je zit nu bij de vliegdienst! hahahahah! Leuk hoor.
Post a Comment
<< Home