Friday, December 16, 2005

Bangkok - Thailand

It's so damn hot here! A big difference with the cold weather in Holland.
My best friend Ray dropped me at the airport, where I said a quick goodbye and headed to the Crew Center to check-in. From there I headed straight to gate F3.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ray getting ready to drop me at Schiphol

The flight was KL877 operated by a 747-400 combi (half passenger (pax)/half cargo). I wasn't travelling as a regular pax, but as DHC (Dead Head Crew). When someone is DHC on a flight, it means that they are airline staff of any airline, who is travelling on a confirmed free ticket. You can travel in- or out of uniform, but you're not working the flight. Why DHC? Well you appear on the GenDec (General Declaration) and flight manifest and you have to clear customs with the crew. You get "crew" status and therefore, don't have to go through all of the VISA procedures. I sat on a crew seat. They are situated in World Business Class and are just seats that are blocked.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
KL 877 AMS-BKK at gate F3. PH-BFK "City of Karachi" 747-400M (Combi)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
In a combi the main cabin has two parts; one for pax and the other for cargo. With permission of the Purser, I got to see that cargo part in-flight. Two cars and more! Wow!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Fooling around with the crew in the aft-galley

10 minutes before time we were in the air for the 11 hour flight. I was so tired from all the rushing, I slept for about 8 hours, only to wake up for meals and to brush my teeth.
At 12.30 in the afternoon I landed at Bangkok Don Muang Airport.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
BKK approach

While I was walking towards the luggage claim area I spotted a KLM Cargo 747-400ERF taking-off.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Take-off of KLM Cargo PH-CKA "Eendracht" to AMS

Coincedently I have a key-cord of that aircraft. I got it when the aircraft arrived from Boeing factory and KLM employees were invited onboard to have a look. That was about 2 years ago.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is what I keep my keys for my luggage on.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Arrival hall at Don Muang Airport - BKK

After I collected my bags I left to the hotel with the KLM crew. We would be making use of the same hotel.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Crew enjoying a after flight drink while heading to the Golden Tulip Bangkok hotel

At the hotel I checked-in and then went to meet with Grietje and Brenda, who arrived a few hours earlier on CI via TPE. They were fast asleep, so I woke them up. Their room was a mess!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Grietje and Brenda toch? Jullie moeten je schamen! LOL!

After Grietje briefed me on what my tasks were, I said goodbye and headed straight to my room. I hooked up my GSM to my laptop and e-mailed R. and my parents that I arrived safely, quickly wrote the blog and now I'm heading to bed. I'm tired and have jet-lag. I know for sure I don't want to be a Flight Attendant. All this flying up and down really isn't for me. I don't know how R. does it!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Phone and laptop are not mine. AFC provides them for us for work purposes. Sometimes when you are lucky, the room is equipped with internet connection and if you're not, you have to do it via GSM.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is my GSM for personal use. Samsung D-500. I have a contract with T-Mobile and in January I can pick up my new phone for free. I am thinking about the Motorola RAZR V3, but I'm not sure

For the nice photos of the flight including cockpit & cabin crew please log on to My online pictures. Sub-album is KL877

I also want to wish my friend Lesley a pleasant flight today. He is flying to SXM via PHL with US Airways. Have a good one, buddy!

Hmong Daw!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BKK is really warm indeed. But what the hell! You are from AUA, so you know everything concerning heat.

Your lucky to get a C-class seat. When deadheading you can also get a jumpseat. Now that is what I call uncomfortable!

Enjoy BKK! Nice pics of the flight and crew!

16.12.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the Motorola V3 razr. It's a great flat phone. I also got it fo free, but from Vodafone. You should definitely choose that one!

Enjoy your stay and I hope to see you before you head to Aruba.

Dag hoor.

16.12.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics dude! That blondie serving the meals is HOT! Who is she? LOL!

Thanks for the well-wishes. Enjoy your Holidays in AUA and see you next year. Elbert is picking me up in 30 minutes to drop me at SPL. I hope I get an upgrade to Biz Class.

We should have lunch in Amsterdam or at café "De Jaren". We'll talk.

Les

16.12.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home